ValA

Irish family 'scam' on French autoroute service areas

Beware anyone travelling through France in the next few weeks. There are several recent reports,  on another forum,  and on two different Facebook groups,  of an Irish man stopping drivers in autoroute service areas saying that his cards, and money have been stolen and asking for money to get home. He has a wife and children in the car and appears very plausible.

He appears to have pulled the same trick near Pau in the south, and near Lille in the north as well as trying it at Toulouse and other places.  One story even includes photographs of him and his car (a blue Ford Fiesta with possibly 06 in the reg. no). An older similar story from 2016 shows what appears to be the same man driving an 02 reg silver Volvo. An Irish family were arrested shortly after this in August 2016 but there are no reports of what happened to them. 

Be vigilant at services and fuel stations if you don't want to end up as his next victim.

Cheers, off through France tomorrow so I’ll keep an eye out, they won’t get anything out of us though, Mrs B is as tight as a ducks chuff.

• Like 1

maybe it was the same chap who tried it on with me at Gloucester Services at the end of May

3 hours ago, stattam said:

maybe it was the same chap who tried it on with me at Gloucester Services at the end of May

Possibly - as it's apparently happening in Ireland too!  

I got the same at our local Sainsbury's earlier this year, same accent and usual traveller bounce about him.

Walking around with an ATM card in his hand saying it wouldn't work in the Sainsbury's ATM and urgently needed to buy fuel to get him and his pregnant wife down to London to see his dying grandmother.

Warned a few other customers on our way to tip security off who were straight onto it.

On our way out their was another bloke walking around with a card in his hand doing exactly the same thing!! :angry:

Posted (edited)

I don't understand people being taken in. If anyone in that situation was genuine surely a phone call to the local police would result in you being put in touch with someone who could help. When I was asked by a young woman for the bus fare home as she had lost her purse I told her where the nearest police station was and said they would help her. Perhaps I am just hard and tight!

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner
  • Like 1

Good to know these tips.We are off on sunday thru france.so will be extra vigilant:Thankyou:

Many years ago while in South Africa, I had been made redundant and living on what was left of my savings as no benefits in SA, I went to the local store to buy bread for my son and myself and was accosted by a gentleman who said he was very hungry and needed money for food for his family.  Although I had no money to give him, I broke the bread in half and gave half to him.  As I was driving out I saw him in my rear view mirror throwing the bread in a bin.  Now I never give anything to beggars!  :angry:

It's just a variant of the usual - being approached at a bus stop or whatever - which has happened to me several times in the UK, and in fact did last week in central Birmingham. And as it happened, it was a man with a London accent....

As there are no threats involved I don't see the problem. If you don't want to give him money then don't. If you feel sorry for him give him a couple of euros.

What I most dislike about this behavior is that it harms the genuine  when distrust is created by these scammers. I was approached (in the UK) by a respectable  looking well spoken elderly man who addressed me by name and claimed to know me from a previous employment, being bad on remembering faces I was almost taken in   even when the "lost wallet" story started then I noticed I had left the office with a name badge and employers name on it. People as plausible as this have made a lifetimes career of it  and I think it stinks.

BTW I don't mind giving some money to the buskers often found in the High Street.  There was one playing the sax in the High Street in Weymouth and he was good and versatile.   A bit further down was a woman playing a guitar and singing.  She was absolutely dreadful and most people seem to avoid her.

I won't entertain them, same as the charity touts wanting you to sign direct debits! In their dreams.

I used to work near Victoria Street in London and got really fed up with the "chuggers" (charity muggers) who were there... Between the station and the Army & Navy store would be about 10, sometimes working in twos or threes for the same charity... 

Remember that chuggers are paid commission so some of the money they are given goes into their pockets. 

I help run a local charity where 99% of all monies raised goes to the good cause.

But I assume chugging works for the charity - not for me though.

I thought chugging had been banned?

2 hours ago, MalH said:

I thought chugging had been banned?

Maybe but they haven't heard yet :beardy: