Sign in to follow this  
Patricia100

Fire Stick

I'm planning on buying a new TV for my caravan and it was recommended that I also purchase an Amazon Fire Stick (fully loaded) so I can also access my Netflix, BB iPlayer etc.  Do I need anything else apart from the fire stick itself (adapter etc?)   Afraid I'm not very technical so would appreciate some advice.

2 minutes ago, Patricia100 said:

I'm planning on buying a new TV for my caravan and it was recommended that I also purchase an Amazon Fire Stick (fully loaded) so I can also access my Netflix, BB iPlayer etc.  Do I need anything else apart from the fire stick itself (adapter etc?)   Afraid I'm not very technical so would appreciate some advice.

Good Internet connection.

No, you dont need an adaptor. It comes with one.

As said above you will need a good internet connection with a download speed of above 12 Mbps (Mega bytes per second) for Netflix although they state a much lower speed of 1 upwards. They should know but in practice that is what my home system works best on.

How are you going to connect up to the internet then?

Have a click on THIS

I hope it will clarify.

As David38 says, you'll need a good internet connection - at least 2mbit/s preferably 3-4 either via the site wifi or with a healthy data allowance on your phone or mifi unit.

Watching stuff can gobble up a lot of data so you really need an unlimited data package or be prepared to pay for about 1gb per hour.

Some sites take a dim view of video streaming so they may reduce their speed - I've noticed that most CMC sites seem to top out at around 1mbit/s and it's not easy to connect a Firestick direct to a site wifi network, your really need an access router 

If you are wanting to buy a new tv to use iplayer, netflix etc., I would buy a smart tv instead. This will do everything the firestick does better. You will need good internet though to use either a smart tv or a firestick.

• Like 1

We use a Firestick when we have a good signal.  Try and select SD instead of HD.   We have a "All you can eat" date card from Three.  It costs £20 a month.

The Firestick needs some sort of gateway to access the internet, this can be in the form of on site Wi-Fi, a Mi-Fi  device or using your phone as a mobile hotspot. Whichever method you choose the Firestick will need connect to this gateway so that it can access the internet.

For streaming you'll need at least a 3-4Mbps connection and most site Wi-Fi wouldn't allow this, I've also seen mobile data providers capping the speed when it's used excessively. If you choose to provide an internet connection yourself through a Mi-FI or Phone Hotpot you'll really need a 4G connection to get a reliable video stream. In the past I have found it difficult to even get a 3G connection, but this is improving all the time.

My advice would be to stick to watching "normal" TV, or even better enjoy your caravan and all the great outdoors has to offer.

We have the Roku Express Stick which does the same and is a little cheaper. We use it with our EE Sim and a Huawei E5577-4G MiFi with no issues on most sites. Having had two smart TVs I would recommend using a Fire Stick or Roku Stick as they tend to be better streaming devices and you can take it home with you to use on the home tv. 

3 hours ago, Patricia100 said:

If you want it fully loaded you have to either buy it from a dodgy character or do it yourself. A normal shop will not have them.

We do use a Fire Stick when abroad to watch uk tv but we rarely use it in the UK.

16 hours ago, Patricia100 said:

I'm planning on buying a new TV for my caravan and it was recommended that I also purchase an Amazon Fire Stick (fully loaded).......

Fully loaded can mean it has Kodi loaded onto it.

If so and you intend to access stuff via Kodi get a VPN.

We have used a Fire TV stick, but use it slightly differently...   We have a Fire Tablet, and as Prime customers we download movies etc onto that.  Turn Mobile data off on mobile, then connect the Fire stick and tablet to that network, and you can watch those downloads on the TV via the Fire Stick...

I want to thank everyone for their advice, it has given me much to think about but at least I now have some idea as to what I am going to do.