Missing Alko wheel lock receiver on brand new van

My new Pegasus Grande Rimini has no Alko wheel lock receiver fitted although the brochure states one is fitted. Dealer insists it is over the phone, going in next week to check.

In every business things do occasionally go wrong, they shouldn’t but it DOES happen. 

The mark of a good company is how they DEAL with such things.

The dealers have to get authorisation from the manufacturer for any warranty work, so until that is granted they cannot really do anything. I doubt if the carry a spare receiver in stock anyway so they will have to wait for it to be delivered. The lack of wheel lock(s) is really down to them though as you should at least have been shown where they were at handover (but could easily be overlooked, especially if you are a seasoned caravanners) but they should have checked for the wheel locks themselves! 

I would be inclined to advise the insurance company and explain that it should have been supplied with two receivers and locks. If they want any extra premium then that could be reclaimed from either the dealer or Bailey. I don’t think you can attached any significant blame to the dealer as it’s unreasonable to expect them to check for something that the specification states is present (the receivers) 

I am sure this will get sorted pretty quickly for you. In the meantime concentrate on enjoying your new caravan to the full. 

Many years ago my father in law purchased four new (identical model) cars for his company. After three months he got a puncture. When he went to change the wheel on his there was a big hole where the spare should have been! When he checked the other cars they were also missing spare wheels!! 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

47 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The dealers have to get authorisation from the manufacturer for any warranty work, so until that is granted they cannot really do anything.

Andy

It is no doubt true that the dealer has to get the payment for warranty work sorted out, but that is solely a dealer to manufacturer issue that should not impact on the customer in any way.

The dealer's obligation under the CRA 2015 is that he has to ensure the product meets the description and specification he sold it to, aside of any warranty. If they told the  customer it had this or that then it is his task alone to ensure it has. Re their interaction with the customer, what he gets as authority and or recompense from the maker plays no legal part. 

Edited by JTQ

The ‘got to wait for authorisation’ line is a ruse to help the dealer’s cash flow. If they’ve got the parts in stock to remedy a fault or discrepancy then by consumer law they should do the work and then claim. Enforcing them to do this is another matter of course.....

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

3 hours ago, MalH said:

The ‘got to wait for authorisation’ line is a ruse to help the dealer’s cash flow. If they’ve got the parts in stock to remedy a fault or discrepancy then by consumer law they should do the work and then claim. Enforcing them to do this is another matter of course.....

this would be the sort of part a dealer is very unlikely to keep in stock, due to it rarely being retro fitted/replaced, I cant imagine any dealer would leave a customer hanging when they have the part in stock to sort the issue.

There's a lot of Talk about the CRA, which are entirely your rights as the customer (and mine when I am one) but starting a conversation stating this to a dealer isn't really going to speed the process up, all it will do is sour the relationship, especially if the dealer is doing the upmost to sort any issue as quickly as physically possible.

• I agree completely 1

This post was started in JULY! And then Percyprod posted his experience only yesterday.

Its a pity the OP (Ribs) hasn’t posted an update in regards to how quickly his issue was sorted!

I doubt if anyone at Bailey would spot a missing receiver as they are doubtless fitted by Alko. However it MIGHT be that someone Bailey selected the wrong chassis at the very start of the production line of course! Either way it’s how it gets sorted that’s important. Quoting the CRA at the first contact with a dealer is not, in my view, a good move. Far better to give them a decent time to sort the problem out to EVERYONES satisfaction.

Andy

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

This post was started in JULY! And then Percyprod posted his experience only yesterday.

Its a pity the OP (Ribs) hasn’t posted an update in regards to how quickly his issue was sorted!

I doubt if anyone at Bailey would spot a missing receiver as they are doubtless fitted by Alko. However it MIGHT be that someone Bailey selected the wrong chassis at the very start of the production line of course! Either way it’s how it gets sorted that’s important. Quoting the CRA at the first contact with a dealer is not, in my view, a good move. Far better to give them a decent time to sort the problem out to EVERYONES satisfaction.

Andy

Selecting the wrong chassis may be a concern if the chassis was designed for a lighter weight?

MTPLM is 1498 

Andy 

I've been in touch with Bailey and apparently the brochure, which is marked "Printed in september 2019", applies to the 2020 caravan, not the 2019. The 2019 version does not have the receiver fitted, the 2020 one does. 2020 version is manufactured from september on. So that's cleared up then! I do hate this thing that manufacturers have of dating an item for the following year. Our Landrover was first registered in 2015, but it is a 2016 model. How can it be? Anyway, told Bailey I wasn't very pleased but of course I don't think they are bothered. My problem was that I bought a wheel clamp as the Alko lock was so expensive, but when I told my insurer (Club Care) I would have a wheel clamp instead of a Alko lock they bumped my insurance up from around £240 to£380! I then bought an Alko lock, thinking over a couple of years it would be more economical. I then found there was no receiver on the van! Luckily I was able to cancel the Alko, and have changed insurers.,

Might be worth firstly contacting your dealer and pointing out that the brochure they supplied to you actually contained a “False and misleading representation” of your purchase.

If that doesn’t work try the ASA (Advertising Standards Agency) and ask them if they consider you have a case, 

Worth a try at least.

Andy 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2019 at 20:36, Percyprod01 said:

The 2019 version does not have the receiver fitted, 

Edited by Endeeo
Found answer on further posting.
  • 10 months later...

:rolleyes: re 2019/20 differences I guess the dealer failed to point this out before you bought it? I would press the dealer for a FOC solution?

Edited by gtepete

Very simple answer: the buyer should take it back to the dealer and formally reject it. Under CRA the dealer would have one go at fixing it and then you get your money back.

Aside from the fact you are spending north of £25K, until more people do this the manufacturers will continue to churn out poor quality and design and rely on the dealers (IMO unfairly) to do their quality work for them. At those prices you should not be getting warped and poorly fitted doors and missing (significant) parts. As said the UK motorcycle industry (and cars - British Leyland for example) found out the hard way. Pity the Japs don't make caravans for the UK market init?

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

58 minutes ago, gtepete said:

:rolleyes: re 2019/20 differences I guess the dealer failed to point this out before you bought it? I would press the dealer for a FOC solution?

39 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Very simple answer: the buyer should take it back to the dealer and formally reject it. Under CRA the dealer would have one go at fixing it and then you get your money back.

Aside from the fact you are spending north of £25K, until more people do this the manufacturers will continue to churn out poor quality and design and rely on the dealers (IMO unfairly) to do their quality work for them. At those prices you should not be getting warped and poorly fitted doors and missing (significant) parts. As said the UK motorcycle industry (and cars - British Leyland for example) found out the hard way. Pity the Japs don't make caravans for the UK market init?

You are both replying to a topic started Oct 2019!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

You are both replying to a topic started Oct 2019!

Ok, point taken, but still  valid, this highlights the detailed checks a customer has to carry out before taking your caravan off the forecourt at your dealers...with similar stories of poor PDI, may be wise to take a 3rd party caravan expert with you to carry out a full survey. 

Edited by gtepete

When I collected my new twin axle van I discovered there was only one Alko lock - two receivers. On pointing this out the dealer tried to locate another lock but didn't have one in stock. They then proceeded to tell me they couldn't get another one of the style required for my van - they were no longer being produced. Their solution was to offer me an alternative type lock for the other wheel. This was unacceptable to me. I definitely didn't want two different locks and I really wanted the Alko locks, as stipulated when I agreed the purchase, for insurance reasons. I suggested they might have to replace all four wheels to a style where locks were available - I could almost see the salesman gulp!

Whilst they were pondering their problem I did some internet searching myself and located a supplier that had 6 of the required style in stock. Why could they not have located them? Anyway problem solved even if I did have to manage it myself.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Good result KnausCol.....asking for 4 new wheels made me smile! Shame we didn't get feedback from the original poster...unless I have missed it?

Edited by gtepete