Isolation switch on new caravan

Hi all,

We've just picked up our brand new Bailey Unicorn caravan. As part of the deal we got the dealer to fit a second hand AWD powrtouch motor mover. My question is regarding the isolation switch location. On our previous caravan this was fitted in the battery box and prevented you from using the motor mover when the caravan was plugged into the mains. On our new van the isolator is located under the bed and is accessible through the side locker. Now only is it quite a way in it also means you can easily have the mains plugged in at the same time. The mains input is now situated on the outside of the van with the battery box now under the floor.

Bailey advertise the caravan as being "motor mover ready", what does this really mean? I would have expected the isolator to be under one of the flaps on the outside, there certainly seems to be room.

I have attached some pics to show what I mean. Any advice would be great. I don't mind moving the isolator, the back of the panels are accessible through one of the internal cupboards.

Thanks

Neil

2019-07-17 13.23.56.jpg

2019-07-17 13.24.35.jpg

2019-07-17 13.25.54.jpg

The switch should not be in the battery box as such because of the danger of sparks igniting the gas which is given off by a charging battery. On our Bailey the battery box is divided into 2 (with a foam seal between the 2 sections): one contains only the battery, the other the EHU connector and the motor mover isolation switch. I agree having the switch in a bed box is very inconvenient.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

Mover leads need to be as short as possible from battery to fusible link to switch to control panel.  Bailey moving the battery to an awkward underfloor location means this  is difficult to do (or maybe impossible).

That looks to be an install of (at least parts of) this Prima Leisure kit https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1000253/pegasus-iv-motor-mover-isolator-switch-bracket

In my view it needs a decent rear shroud / plastic back box to cover the part-exposed crimp terminals completely.  Or the better style rubber boot to cover them - such as PowrTouch supply with their isolator switch kit.  Back to the dealer for a better installation attempt methinks.  Twin mover does mean an extra red out to feed two control modules, though, which makes it more difficult ( but heatshrink is useful and any dealers should have such parts to hand).

The switch in battery locker near mains input is more a reminder than an < it's impossible to connect mains / operate the switch at the same time > scenario imho.  NB The switching mechanism/contacts are not in a normal battery box, rather inside the caravan - only the actuator/knob are in the box.  I've seen a picture of one install where the fusible link is in the box though which is definitely not good practice.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

We got a new U4 Seville in January 18 and it has exactly what you describe.

With the battery box being under the floor Bailey have placed the isolator under the N/S bed and have put the necessary cables in place to thye battery box which will make mover fitment much simpler.

I have and see no issues with it. There is nothing anywhere near the isolator that is connected to battery negative so managing to (effectively) short circuit the battery would have to be a deliberate (and quite difficult) action.

I don't understand the apparent worry about the mover and mains being active simultaneously. If mains is on it will charge the battery as the mover takes power out of it. The power supply (for that is what it is) is capable of 24A and is protected if too much current is drawn so it will make no difference whether the mains is on or not.

May I take the opportunity here to point out that when the mains inlet connector is inserted the spring loaded end cover cap of the free connector goes horizontally inside the top of the housing such that it clips over the internal spigot and holds the connector home (just as it does if you connect plug and socket trailing connectors together.) Removal requires inserting your index finger down the side and lifting the cap. If you look on site you will be amazed home many you will see with the trailing socket cover folded back as far as it will go and holding the caravan connector lid up vertically!

• Thanks 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

3 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

We got a new U4 Seville in January 18 and it has exactly what you describe.

Thanks for confirming yours is the same. With a little more thought that isolator could have been put on the outside too. Oh well I'll live with it, not a major problem.

The Powrtouch Evolution user's manual states:

The Powrtouch Evolution Caravan Mover (except handset) is a 12volt DCpowereddevice and it should not under any circumstances be powered by any other power source than a12volt DC leisure battery. NB.Using the PowrtouchEvolutionwith the caravan connected to the 240volt mains could cause damage to the caravan internal charging system.

Others may believe that they know better than the manufacturers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

I have and see no issues with it. There is nothing anywhere near the isolator that is connected to battery negative so managing to (effectively) short circuit the battery would have to be a deliberate (and quite difficult) action.

However unlikely it may be - and the control electronics boxes have negative terminals with crimp-lugs ends exiting  the plastic cover/housing not that far away - best practice is to insulate exposed terminals properly. 

I'd like some more robust mechanical protection, personally, around the isolator switch and cables and would probably fit some on my own caravan if delivered like the above photo.  The OCD in me would have the two lugs off and turned so that flat surfaces mated and were dressed in line as well ;) .

BS4343 16A cable sockets can be had with thumb-operated flap releases (by the hinges  that avoids having to squeeze fingers into confined spaces.  MK Commando and the ABB copies from Screwfix, for example.  My hookup leads have such connectors on them as I like to be able to use one hand to disconnect.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

• 1 month later...
On 17/07/2019 at 13:59, ribs99 said:

Hi all,

We've just picked up our brand new Bailey Unicorn caravan. As part of the deal we got the dealer to fit a second hand AWD powrtouch motor mover. My question is regarding the isolation switch location. On our previous caravan this was fitted in the battery box and prevented you from using the motor mover when the caravan was plugged into the mains. On our new van the isolator is located under the bed and is accessible through the side locker. Now only is it quite a way in it also means you can easily have the mains plugged in at the same time. The mains input is now situated on the outside of the van with the battery box now under the floor.

Bailey advertise the caravan as being "motor mover ready", what does this really mean? I would have expected the isolator to be under one of the flaps on the outside, there certainly seems to be room.

I have attached some pics to show what I mean. Any advice would be great. I don't mind moving the isolator, the back of the panels are accessible through one of the internal cupboards.

Thanks

Neil

2019-07-17 13.23.56.jpg

2019-07-17 13.24.35.jpg

2019-07-17 13.25.54.jpg

Looking to move isolator to external flap next to sat input feed. Current position looks like it's just easier for dealer to fit.

Edited by TenStar

Unicorn IV Cartagena 2019my | Mercedes-Benz GLE350d (W166)

Senator Series 6 Indiana Now sold

On 17/07/2019 at 16:27, DeeTee said:

The Powrtouch Evolution user's manual states:

Others may believe that they know better than the manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Thats a general statement BUT all modern psu / chargers can stand overload and protect themselves without issue. So the safe position is to say switch off ehu in all cases, its not and issue for modern, current limited power supply & charger units.

38 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Thats a general statement BUT all modern psu / chargers can stand overload and protect themselves without issue. So the safe position is to say switch off ehu in all cases, its not and issue for modern, current limited power supply & charger units.

Having blown a power unit up I'm not going to try running motor mover  again with mains connected.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

29 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

With respect, whilst you may regard it as a general statement, it is Powrwheel's statement probably to prevent ordinary users of Powrtouch devices from inadvertenly or inadvisably using the device when connected to EHU.

If nothing else it will hopefully prevent ordinary users from damaging the EHU cable when using the mover whilst still connected to a mains power supply.

I’ve taken 2 PSUs out using the mover while hooked up.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Definitely safer to remove ehu lead before moving, a few years ago I witnessed a motor home destroy  a power bollard whilst attempting to leave a site.

Freelander 2 closely followed by a Golden Retriever and a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

7 hours ago, David 38 said:

Having blown a power unit up I'm not going to try running motor mover  again with mains connected.

4 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Three PSUs and counting. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Atty said:

Definitely safer to remove ehu lead before moving, a few years ago I witnessed a motor home destroy  a power bollard whilst attempting to leave a site.

I'm amazed, there really is no reason for that to happen with a modern PSU, they can stand overload, reverse connection etc with no issues, from a technical perspective I don't see why there's an issue but clearly there is. I've moved my several times with the amperor connected up and charging with no issues at all.

1 minute ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I'm amazed, there really is no reason for that to happen with a modern PSU, they can stand overload, reverse connection etc with no issues, from a technical perspective I don't see why there's an issue but clearly there is. I've moved my several times with the amperor connected up and charging with no issues at all.

I think I would be right in saying the electrical in most caravans are from BCA.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

16 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I think I would be right in saying the electrical in most caravans are from BCA.

and I think you would be wrong.  https://sargentltd.co.uk/ is another supplier (to Swift especially).

Zig were once ubiquitous in the industry https://www.widney-leisure.co.uk/zig-electronics/  (and I didn't know they still existed !) 

4 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

and I think you would be wrong.  https://sargentltd.co.uk/ is another supplier (to Swift especially).

Zig were once ubiquitous in the industry https://www.widney-leisure.co.uk/zig-electronics/  (and I didn't know they still existed !) 

Thanks for correction, I've been buying Bailey and Coachman caravans and all had BCA, and failures.

Regards, David