Jump to content

Lunar Caravans In Administration


Patricia100
 Share

Recommended Posts

The new company will have a business plan which is an unknown entity to ordinary punters who are currently speculating on whether certain actions by the new Lunar will afect new Lunar's feel good factor.

Meanwhile the new Lunar accountants and lawyers will be calculating how their future actions will affect their bottom line and will probably totally ignore Social media. Businesses aim to make money for the shareholders/owners/subscribers. They are not normally in the business of striving to make the best widget or caravan on the planet.

Buyers who to continue to buy products which they later claim are rubbish seem to me to have contributed to the alleged demise of the caravan industry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DeeTee said:

The new company will have a business plan which is an unknown entity to ordinary punters who are currently speculating on whether certain actions by the new Lunar will afect new Lunar's feel good factor.

Meanwhile the new Lunar accountants and lawyers will be calculating how their future actions will affect their bottom line and will probably totally ignore Social media. Businesses aim to make money for the shareholders/owners/subscribers. They are not normally in the business of striving to make the best widget or caravan on the planet.

Buyers who to continue to buy products which they later claim are rubbish seem to me to have contributed to the alleged demise of the caravan industry.

The above maybe correct but the buyer has no track record in caravan manufacture or it seems anywhere else.  Who are the shareholders at former Lunar as I think it was originally a management buyout?  BTW I don't think there is any "feel good" factors anywhere within Lunar or their dealership network?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chateau was a partnership company at one time...

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Durbanite said:

The above maybe correct but the buyer has no track record in caravan manufacture or it seems anywhere else.  Who are the shareholders at former Lunar as I think it was originally a management buyout?  BTW I don't think there is any "feel good" factors anywhere within Lunar or their dealership network?

The so-called "feel good factor" was metaphorical :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeTee said:

The so-called "feel good factor" was metaphorical :rolleyes:

I think we all realised that.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its very sad to see such a well respected brand in trouble. But surely these manufactures did not expect this bubble to last forever, where's the forecasting and forward planning? Look at the prices now, the same price as a decent new car, it could not go on forever. Priced themselves out of business along with many more no doubt, this is probably not the last one to go to the wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having spoken to a Lunar dealer recently about warranties for existing owners, they have requested that the new owners honour existing warranties and will only place orders for new vans once this is clarified in writing , if all Lunar dealers do same that is considerable leverage, whether this is financially viable for new owners of Lunar, no idea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think that you will find that any potential new owner will honour warranties as they will negotiate a lower price to include this. If they did not honour them then they will effectively be throwing their money away buying the company as sales will plummet due to a lack of

confidence by the consumer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Paullb said:

Having spoken to a Lunar dealer recently about warranties for existing owners, they have requested that the new owners honour existing warranties and will only place orders for new vans once this is clarified in writing , if all Lunar dealers do same that is considerable leverage, whether this is financially viable for new owners of Lunar, no idea

What will they do if Lunar Automotive say no? It takes time and money to set up a dealership agreement with another manufacturer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

What will they do if Lunar Automotive say no? It takes time and money to set up a dealership agreement with another manufacturer.

They will probably be dealers for other manufacturers too, so could increase the number of vans on their forecourt from them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, brilock1 said:

i think that you will find that any potential new owner will honour warranties as they will negotiate a lower price to include this. If they did not honour them then they will effectively be throwing their money away buying the company as sales will plummet due to a lack of

confidence by the consumer.

 

Time will tell.

 

59 minutes ago, Paullb said:

Having spoken to a Lunar dealer recently about warranties for existing owners, they have requested that the new owners honour existing warranties and will only place orders for new vans once this is clarified in writing , if all Lunar dealers do same that is considerable leverage, whether this is financially viable for new owners of Lunar, no idea

 

The new MD has previously stated that 50 of the previous 52 Dealers are on board.

Perhaps the one you spoke to is one of the 2 not on board.

If that is the case maybe the new Company will not be too concerned.

My Dealer has told me that the warranty on my 2017 Lunar is with them not the manufacturer, and if anything goes wrong it is up to them (the Dealer) to sort it. 

The difficulty comes if the Dealer cannot source any parts required.

Edited by hp100425ev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

They will probably be dealers for other manufacturers too, so could increase the number of vans on their forecourt from them?

Not all dealers are multiple manufacturer retailers. Many are single manufacturer retailers. They cannot afford that "honour warranties or else" stance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It may not be in the manufacturers interest to upset dealers either.  The Dealer I bought from used to be a Bailey and Lunar dealer.  Around 2014 or 5 Bailey threatened them that if they did not become a sole Bailey dealership they would lose the contract.  They did not want to put all their eggs in one basket so refused to agree.  Since then Swift and Coachman have filled the hole left by Bailey.

 

 

John

 

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know authoritatively who the warranty is with? Some seem to think the warranty was provided by Lunar and now some are saying provided by the dealer. I’m talking about the warranty and not claims under CRA. The legal position must be quite clear to a legal person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Keith100 said:

Does anyone know authoritatively who the warranty is with? Some seem to think the warranty was provided by Lunar and now some are saying provided by the dealer. I’m talking about the warranty and not claims under CRA. The legal position must be quite clear to a legal person?

The 6 year body integrity warranty and 3 year manufacturer warranty has been provided by Lunar since 2009. It is therefore a manufacturer's warranty.

https://www.lunarcaravans.com/help/warranty-for-caravans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Legal Eagle. That’s what I thought. So I don’t understand what H above has been told by his dealer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Keith100 said:

Thanks Legal Eagle. That’s what I thought. So I don’t understand what H above has been told by his dealer. 

 

Warranty and CRA legal protection largely overlap - the dealer does warranty work on behalf of the manufacturer which avoids the need to take action in court under CRA - in marginal cases, the dealer will have to negotiate with the customer, often with the hidden backing of the manufacturer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe that Lunar Automotive will be exhibiting at The Lawns at the weekend so if you can find the £2.50 ticket price you might be able to find answers to warranty questions. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless they say something (positive!) about existing customers warranties, I reckon they’re wasting their time exhibiting. They won’t be selling any new vans to previous customers who are left without warranty. And they won’t be selling any vans to new customers who know they are now dealing with a brand new company who have just left old customers without a second thought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Keith100 said:

Unless they say something (positive!) about existing customers warranties, I reckon they’re wasting their time exhibiting. They won’t be selling any new vans to previous customers who are left without warranty. And they won’t be selling any vans to new customers who know they are now dealing with a brand new company who have just left old customers without a second thought. 

There will always be some who believe everything that the salesman says about warranty on a new van.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Keith100 said:

Unless they say something (positive!) about existing customers warranties, I reckon they’re wasting their time exhibiting. They won’t be selling any new vans to previous customers who are left without warranty. And they won’t be selling any vans to new customers who know they are now dealing with a brand new company who have just left old customers without a second thought. 

 

I suspect that a very large percentage of new customers will have no knowledge of this issue and a good proportion of seasoned vanners will be the same.  We here and on similar forums, are a very small number in the overall count 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seems to be a few myths floating around - one non-Lunar dealer told a customer that the takeover deal had collapsed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

 

Warranty and CRA legal protection largely overlap - the dealer does warranty work on behalf of the manufacturer which avoids the need to take action in court under CRA - in marginal cases, the dealer will have to negotiate with the customer, often with the hidden backing of the manufacturer.

Under a warranty claim, the dealer is paid something.  Under CRA 2015 they are not paid anything and have to foot the bill themselves which is why they are reluctant to do work where they cannot claim.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...