Sign in to follow this  
Patricia100

Had some water ingress and made arrangements to have it sorted through the manufacturers warranty.  I've now been told that Lunar have gone into liquidation

I bought a 2016 Lunar Delta last year, had some water ingress and made arrangements to have it sorted through the manufacturers warranty.  I've now been told that Lunar have gone into liquidation at the weekend and the service department was told by Lunar to stop all work to be carried out on warranty. 

This has now got me really worried about obtaining parts for future repairs to my caravan and the resale/part exchange value of my caravan!

Lunar denied their liquidation stating the factory shutdown was for the annual model change - if your Lunar dealer has given you that information, call Lunar directly to confirm/deny.

In any case, the selling dealer is legally liable to fix any faults regardless of whether the manufacturer provides warranty support or not.

On 11/07/2019 at 12:30, lunar said:

We have not shut down. Staff are currently laid off to cut back production ready for the 2020 season. 

23 minutes ago, Patricia100 said:

I bought a 2016 Lunar Delta last year, had some water ingress and made arrangements to have it sorted through the manufacturers warranty.  I've now been told that Lunar have gone into liquidation at the weekend and the service department was told by Lunar to stop all work to be carried out on warranty. 

This has now got me really worried about obtaining parts for future repairs to my caravan and the resale/part exchange value of my caravan!

I think you should be having a serious talk with your dealer. If they said Lunar were in liquidation that is wrong information. If they said that Lunar told them to stop working on your van that is probably also wrong because the liability for repairs is the dealer's, not Lunar's.  It may be the case that they can't do the work because Lunar's shut down is causing additional spares delays. 

4 minutes ago, Patricia100 said:

The work isn't being carried out by my original dealer as they don't personally undertake bodywork but using a firm that they referred me to.  The parts have arrived so there's no delay in that respect, but they received notification from Luna to stop all warranty work as of Thursday last week.  They were told that Luna were looking to get a buyer and if none were received by the weekend then they would be going into liquidation.  

Refer this back to your selling dealer - they, and they alone, have the legal responsibilities - they'll probably need reminding of that, quite forcibly.

55 minutes ago, Patricia100 said:

The work isn't being carried out by my original dealer as they don't personally undertake bodywork but using a firm that they referred me to.  The parts have arrived so there's no delay in that respect, but they received notification from Luna to stop all warranty work as of Thursday last week.  They were told that Luna were looking to get a buyer and if none were received by the weekend then they would be going into liquidation. 

It seems fairly obvious that the firm being used for the bodywork do not want the job.  Normally issues with bodywork as done by the manufacturer like our issue with the walls pulling away from the furniture.  Has Lunar themselves approved the warranty work for the third party? 

Either way a said whether Lunar close shop tomorrow or not, it is still the responsibility of the selling dealer to ensure that repairs are done.  You would need to go back to the selling dealer and tell them that they are responsible for sorting out the issue and not Lunar.  A warranty is in addition to your rights under CRA 2015.

Seems the repairer was correct however it is now up to the dealer to put right the problem on your other post.  Don't let the dealer fob you off and deny their responsibilities.   

• Like 2

What about instances where caravans have needed to be returned to the factory for major problems?

Are all dealers capable of undertaking this type of work?

The onus is 100% on the dealer to sort out. Durbanite is absolutely right.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Griff said:

What about instances where caravans have needed to be returned to the factory for major problems?

The dealer is still responsible under CRA for arranging a repair if it fits the CRA criteria. If they cannot, they have to go down the replace/refund route.

16 hours ago, Griff said:

As you asked on another thread.

Our caravan is going back to the factory.

1. Sink worktop split. (All of the kitchen has to be dismantled)

2. Bulkhead wall divider that is attached to the sink is also split. (sink worktop meets bulkhead)

3. Bathroom wall not plum. when closed bathroom door, door sticks out at top by 20mm (door is not warped)

4. Overhead locker doors wont stay open, over dinette as the surround around the panoramic fouls them from opening.

5. Near & off side blinds, falling off walls (over enthusiastic fitter probably did not set the torque on his battery drill. Self tapping screws pulled out)

6. Take a shower, there's water running across bathroom floor (carpets not used)

Dealer is reluctant to do 2 & 3, requested it to go back to factory. Dealer had a go at 6, but it still leaks, also cant do nothing about 4 (design fault) 

Hi we purchased a brand new lunar delta last year, it was/is going in for warranty work in August to the dealer who sold it to us, however, lunar were sending out workpersons to fit the new shower tray and cubicle surround and also the sink in the kitchen area.  However, I have just rung the dealer now, as I am concerned as to what I heard about Lunar going into administration, and they say they are honoring existing warranty claims, but if they cannot get the parts (as obviously these were coming from lunar directly), then the work wont get done.  Where do we stand on this and possibly any future claims we may have if there are further issues with caravan, we even purchased an extended warranty, who has to honor that, lunar or the dealer?  Thanks in advance.

Polly - your contract is solely with the dealer. It is up to them to sort the problems of how to get parts. Let them worry.

Well as a Lunar Lexon owner I feel sorry for the normal workers. However given all the negative reviews on customer service etc I am not at all surprised that given the decline in caravan sales they would not survive as they sell very few motorhomes.

Think they have only to look at themselves really to see what the reasons are for this situation.

As has been said earlier in the thread. Your contract was with the dealer, the dealer is the person responsible for rectifying your problem. It is up to them to either fix it themselves or find someone who can.  Don't let them opt out of their responsibilities. 

We're off to the dealer tomorrow for them to check the front window bar (needs resealing, a warranty job).  It will be interesting to see how they respond.

Can anyone remember what happened to warranty claims when Fleetwood and Avondale went into administration and receivership? 

If a Dealer is unable to obtain spares from Lunar then what does the Dealer do?

Lunar could have had parts manufactured anywhere in the world and the Dealer has no way of knowing where to even try to get parts from.

If a dealer does work under warranty then the manufacturer pays the Dealer's labour costs, who pays the labour costs now?

The warranty beyond the first couple of years is provided by the manufacturer so what happens to say damp after three years?

Not manufacturing 2020 Lunar vans at present, lots of Dealers and Customers will have paid deposits. Some deposits will be on credit cards and so are recoverable, this means orders will be cancelled anyway.

Lunar is down the tubes.

Posted (edited)

My Bro's Lexon has a delaminating floor which is waiting for the dealer to sort out (apparently, he (the dealer) has several Lunar vans all waiting for the floors to be sorted). So it's not looking everso good at the moment

Edited by matelodave

1 hour ago, Tradewinds said:

Can anyone remember what happened to warranty claims when Fleetwood and Avondale went into administration and receivership? 

If a Dealer is unable to obtain spares from Lunar then what does the Dealer do?

Lunar could have had parts manufactured anywhere in the world and the Dealer has no way of knowing where to even try to get parts from.

If a dealer does work under warranty then the manufacturer pays the Dealer's labour costs, who pays the labour costs now?

The warranty beyond the first couple of years is provided by the manufacturer so what happens to say damp after three years?

Not manufacturing 2020 Lunar vans at present, lots of Dealers and Customers will have paid deposits. Some deposits will be on credit cards and so are recoverable, this means orders will be cancelled anyway.

Lunar is down the tubes.

There will be very, very few outstanding orders at this time in the yearly model cycle, especially with so many unsold vans stockpiled. They'd normally be shutting down for three weeks works holiday and then working to build stock's of 2020MY demo vans. Customer orders normally stop production at this time of year waiting on the next Model Year launch in September.

Because of the way caravan manufacturers operate, dealers invariably have a direct link with the OEM's. Quite often under normal aftercare procedure, the dealer claims directly from the OEM and the caravan manufacturer doesn't even know of the failures. Even major body panels are not necessarily made by the caravan manufacturer. They don't make ABS and GRP moldings for example.

Lunar do not manufacture a single thing for their caravans.  They are only an assembly line producing a caravan from bits sourced from third parties.  Same applies to all manufacturers of caravans.

17 hours ago, Pollydolly48 said:

Hi we purchased a brand new lunar delta last year, it was/is going in for warranty work in August to the dealer who sold it to us, however, lunar were sending out work persons to fit the new shower tray and cubicle surround and also the sink in the kitchen area.  However, I have just rung the dealer now, as I am concerned as to what I heard about Lunar going into administration, and they say they are honouring existing warranty claims, but if they cannot get the parts (as obviously these were coming from lunar directly), then the work wont get done.  Where do we stand on this and possibly any future claims we may have if there are further issues with caravan, we even purchased an extended warranty, who has to honour that, lunar or the dealer?  Thanks in advance.

Not sure why you bought an extended warranty, but in hindsight you may be better off then a lot of other people as it is now an insurance company involved to fight your corner.

17 hours ago, Pollydolly48 said:

Hi we purchased a brand new lunar delta last year, it was/is going in for warranty work in August to the dealer who sold it to us, however, lunar were sending out workpersons to fit the new shower tray and cubicle surround and also the sink in the kitchen area.  However, I have just rung the dealer now, as I am concerned as to what I heard about Lunar going into administration, and they say they are honoring existing warranty claims, but if they cannot get the parts (as obviously these were coming from lunar directly), then the work wont get done.  Where do we stand on this and possibly any future claims we may have if there are further issues with caravan, we even purchased an extended warranty, who has to honor that, lunar or the dealer?  Thanks in advance.

Your rights (and the dealer's obligations) under CRA are unaffected. Don't let the dealer forget that! 

Follow that through, including rejection/refund if appropriate, as quickly as you can, because some dealers may end up following lunar into administration.

13 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

There will be very, very few outstanding orders at this time in the yearly model cycle, especially with so many unsold vans stockpiled. They'd normally be shutting down for three weeks works holiday and then working to build stock's of 2020MY demo vans. Customer orders normally stop production at this time of year waiting on the next Model Year launch in September.

Caravan dealers bulk order certain models and layouts in advance. This allows them to achieve a discount plus it gives manufacturers the ability to set up production facilities for the new model year.

2020 models will be on the road before the end of 2019. However if Lunar have stopped setting up 2020 production then they are well behind the curve.

We are only three months away from the NEC, who would even attempt to order a Lunar now??

Towards the end of September is usually when 2020 models will start appearing on dealers sites, Lunars might not make that.