Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Best way of discovering how much gas you have left

Posted (edited)

I bought one of those magnetic liquid crystal displays that are placed on the gas bottle, but have not had the chance to test it thoroughly yet. Do they work?

What devices do you use to see how much gas you have left? Are the regulators with a gauge on it accurate?

Please don't suggest weighing the bottle, its too much messing about. ;)

Edited by BOAC
Text mod

I just look at the gauge on the bottle.

They do work as long as theres a temperature difference where the level of the gas is and the ambient temperature. If a bottle is in a stable temperature area then they wont work, they sense the difference in temperature above and below the liquid level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldboy said:

I just look at the gauge on the bottle.

In your experience are they accurate?

I've tried those stick on things and found them useless. The only real way is to weigh the bottle - thse digtal luggage scales are quite useful. The bottles should have a label stating the tare (ie empty) weight so subtracting this from the actual weight gives you how much gas you have.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50kg-10g-Weight-LCD-Display-Portable-Electronic-Travel-Hanging-Luggage-Scale-FF/372714124590?hash=item56c77e352e:g:FzkAAOSw57xdLZOM

I have toyed with the idea of some sort of weighing mechanism under the bottles but (a) life's too short; (b) it would need live wiring which is a no-no in the gas compartment.

7 minutes ago, BOAC said:

In your experience are they accurate?

never though of checking if it is accurate as I only know if it is empty when I am cooking and the flame goes out.

• Haha 2

I squint through the translucent side of my GasLight cylinder to see how much is in there - a small torch helps show the gas level. 

• Like 2

Just pour a little warm water down the side of the bottle (you don't even need to take it out of most gas lockers) and you'll see the fill line, caused by the temperature difference.

The magnetic gauges are a complete waste of time.

There's also the Truma LevelCheck

(https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcheck.html) at about £75!

John

I now use one of these with a refillable bottle. Works brilliantly and seems to be accurate to a couple of %. Get the reading on my mobile phone.

image.thumb.png.b820a8a7456339cad74f48adff5c9c61.png

3 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That one does not work on refillables though, the Gas It one does.

Posted (edited)

Dometic sell one for £35 like the Truma.

A pressure gauge will tell you when your cylinder is empty - nothing else.  This is because the pressure in a gas liquid mix depends soley on the temperature.  The gauge will fluctuate with the air temp and drop a bit when you are using it as the liquid gets cold, but the pressure will read normal from full to empty until the last drop of liquid has boiled off, then it will drop suddenly.

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I squint through the translucent side of my GasLight cylinder to see how much is in there - a small torch helps show the gas level. 

+ 1.

38 minutes ago, kelper said:

Again, that one does not work with refillables.

3 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Again, that one does not work with refillables.

I'm answering the OP!  Yeesh.

54 minutes ago, thebriars said:

That one does not work on refillables though, the Gas It one does

My bottle is re-fillable but its the 'German type', 11 Kg Aluminium

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Thanks Bo.

HOW MUCH?

Being a frugel Scot £60 odd makes my eyes water a tad and my wallet to run off and hide. I would far rather go down the line of  :-

2 hours ago, oldboy said:

never though of checking if it is accurate as I only know if it is empty when I am cooking and the flame goes out.

However, because I am towing a Dinky toy van (Freedom) I only have space for one gas bottle. Wonder what the smallest bottle is as I can probably find space for one and keep that for a standby. 

You could use a Camping Gaz 907 as a standby although it's an expensive option!

2 hours ago, kelper said:

A pressure gauge will tell you when your cylinder is empty - nothing else.  This is because the pressure in a gas liquid mix depends soley on the temperature.  The gauge will fluctuate with the air temp and drop a bit when you are using it as the liquid gets cold, but the pressure will read normal from full to empty until the last drop of liquid has boiled off, then it will drop suddenly.

Erm. Thanks. So there is NO indication of how full or empty it is, not even partially empty . :blink:

I wonder why there are green / yellow / red segments on most of them. Why go to the trouble printing those on them if they are non applicable. Selling point perhaps?

16 minutes ago, iansoady said:

You could use a Camping Gaz 907 as a standby although it's an expensive option!

Thanks Ian.

Do they do it in Propane because that's all I use

I always wondered why cookshops sell bowls with spaghetti written on them as if you had to guess what you were eating.  But shopkeepers have found that they sell well.  Caravan accessory shops sell all sorts of tat.  Pressure Gauges for gas bottles being a prime example!  They will certainly warn you that the bottle is nearly empty but probably 5 minutes before all the flames go out.  What's the point unless you like to sit and stare at the gauge all day?  :D

Gaslevel is a device for £22 but sold out.  At other vendors it's about £30.  But I'll stick to weighing my two bottles before we leave home.  It's quick and I don't mind the faff.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BOAC said:

I wonder why there are green / yellow / red segments on most of them. Why go to the trouble printing those on them if they are non applicable. Selling point perhaps?

Do they do it in Propane because that's all I use

The yellow sector usually means that the bottle is too cold to gas properly.

Camping Gaz is a butane/propane mix.

• Like 1

Nice U-Tube video on this subject HERE

With two calorlites I accept the gauge is not accurate.  So just use it as a guide so I can be ready when it goes completely.  This holiday ours showed empty but it continued to work for meals use for at least another 10 days and was still going when we got home.

We do have an auto swap device but don’t use it as it’s easy to lose track of where I am up to.

John

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kelper said:

Caravan accessory shops sell all sorts of tat. 

Some still sell 60 stickers - like the 50 stickers that were mandatory for a while in the '80s.

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:

With two calorlites I accept the gauge is not accurate.  So just use it as a guide so I can be ready when it goes completely.  This holiday ours showed empty but it continued to work for meals use for at least another 10 days and was still going when we got home.

We do have an auto swap device but don’t use it as it’s easy to lose track of where I am up to.

John

John I was told by calor that the gauge when it goes to red indicates that you have used roughly half so you will have lots left.

Martyn

2 minutes ago, lunarsorentoman said:

John I was told by calor that the gauge when it goes to red indicates that you have used roughly half so you will have lots left.

Well, he was making that up!  It's just not true.

• Like 1