Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plodd

Skylight open when travelling?

Posted (edited)

I have always been surprised by the number of caravans/motorhomes that I see on the road with their skylights in the  open position  My thoughts being that at, say, 50 mph, there can be an awful lot of wind pressure on said skylight, ESPECIALLY when passing/being passed by a “large” vehicle. Couple that with the number of “shed” skylight covers that can often be seen at the edge of motorways in particular, tends to suggests it’s a bit of a risky thing to do.

Personally I always ensure that all windows, skylights etc are firmly shut before travel so are these skylights being left open in error, or deliberately??

Do you ever travel with a skylight open? If so have you ever “lost” one and if you have lost one what was the cost of replacement?

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Some skylights can vibrate open if they aren't shut properly - whilst it's not common, it's not unusual to see caravans leaving site with skylights open and/or tv aerials extended - over the years, a few caravan models have had issues with faulty skylights coming loose or flying off.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Some skylights can vibrate open if they aren't shut properly - whilst it's not common, it's not unusual to see caravans leaving site with skylights open and/or tv aerials extended - over the years, a few caravan models have had issues with faulty skylights coming loose or flying off.

I am sure there was a recall on one of the make of caravan about skylight opening while travelling.

Edited by oldboy

What is even more amazing is the number of motorhomes driving with a skylight open.  Surely the noise must tell you something is not right?  Plus the fumes and dirt being dragged into the unit.

While we are on about skylights what about the number of people travelling with their status aerial still up?

54 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Personally I always ensure that all windows, skylights etc are firmly shut before travel 

. . . and so you should Andy . . .

I have witnessed a skylight taking off from a caravan roof while travelling at speed, and it ain't a pretty sight. It pays to remember that a driver is responsible for the outfit whilst on the road, and should an errant skylight cause damage or injury, and the driver be traced, they could well be facing a large compensation bill.

Our motorhome has rooftop covers over each skylight that are designed to both allow the skylights to be opened while travelling, and provide an added degree of security while on site. Whether similar covers are available for larger skylights I don't know.

RV Roof Equipment - image.jpg

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gordon said:

RV Roof Equipment - image.jpg

Hi Gordon,

There are some things onthe roof that I do not recognise.

The rearmost item I assume is antenna\sat gear.

What are the 2 devices to the left of the sun canopy.

What is the dome structure to the left andrear of the second skylight cover.

Thanks.

Edited by Sea&Sand

That's one of our pre-flight checks along with lockers locked, fridge on the catch and all windows securely closed. It's amazing how often I find a window on the ventilation setting.....

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

... what about the number of people travelling with their status aerial still up?

... and also with it facing the wrong way!

John

15 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

... and also with it facing the wrong way!

John

Took me about 5 years to discover that the red dot on the elevating pole should be at the back when travelling  --  real logic there! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TedNewman said:

Took me about 5 years to discover that the red dot on the elevating pole should be at the back when travelling  --  real logic there! :rolleyes:

The H/V indicator should face forward on my Status directional aerial - so that most of the antenna is behind the pole.

1 hour ago, Sea&Sand said:

There are some things on the roof that I do not recognise.

The rearmost item I assume is antenna\sat gear.

What are the 2 devices to the left of the sun canopy.

What is the dome structure to the left and rear of the second skylight cover.

Does this help?

RV Roof Equipment.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

While we are on about skylights what about the number of people travelling with their status aerial still up?

Ours is in the loft so no problem!

We travel withour Heki window in the locked 'ventilation' position. I find it stirs the air up enough to stop the caravan feeling like a blast furnace when we stop after travelling in the French sunshine. Never lost it yet in 19 years and thousands of miles of ownership. It's the same 2 catches that hold it cracked open as hold it fully shut, so why would it take off?

To answer the OP’s original question. I have lost 2 over the years. The first one was a bathroom one, that we think was forgotten about when doing checks, the other one was over the lounge area. It was double checked prior to setting off, but missing on arrival. Inspection found that the lid had just fractured off at the fixings, leaving what looked like washers, but was part of the roof light   

This was all some years ago, on a fairly old van. Don’t remember the exact cost of replacements, but around £40 each

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hawkaye said:

We travel withour Heki window in the locked 'ventilation' position. I find it stirs the air up enough to stop the caravan feeling like a blast furnace when we stop after travelling in the French sunshine. Never lost it yet in 19 years and thousands of miles of ownership. It's the same 2 catches that hold it cracked open as hold it fully shut, so why would it take off?

I do the same (apart from the France bit!)  It stays open all year round in storage or on site.

Edited by SamD

7 hours ago, Gordon said:

Does this help?

RV Roof Equipment.jpg

Thank you Gordon.

I lost one many years ago. The skylight had parted company from the handles as the plastic mushroomed heads had the mushroom head missing.

Got a replacement from a scrap yard so was only a few quid.  The fix was far stronger then original manufacturer.

macafee2

One of our skylights popped open when we were coming home from Buxton. Had it not been for a kind person slowing down along side us and pointing up the roof we would not have known. Motorhomes can be quite noisy environments when on the road and the noise changes with the road surface so it might not be immediately obvious that there is a problem with a vent. The vent was closed before leaving but something must have allowed it to open. Like caravans, motorhomes have quite harsh suspension so a jolt might have been all that was required to slip the locking knob.

David

Back in the early 2000's when large Heki roof lights started to be used on caravans i saw several caravans on the motorway with the roof light fully open and the shredded fly screen/blind flapping around over the roof. I always check ours before travelling! 

Posted (edited)

I do all the checks before we leave to make sure everything  is locked down as it should be and all has been OK after each journey.

However, one very gusty high wind, forecast to be up to 80 mph, managed to pop open the large Heki and let the rain poor in.

The 'van was and had been parked at home for a few weeks when it happened.  If it hadn't been locked down, I'm sure it would have popped up on the journey home.

The locking button looks like it would keep the Heki in place, but that wind managed to overcome it.  That being the case, the same could well happen in transit.

Edited by Wunny

Posted (edited)

In almost ten years of caravanning today I forgot to completely close the main sky light on our Bailey Phoenix! It was locked in the lowest setting and had survived 100 miles of travelling, mostly at 60 mph!

Many thanks to the gentleman in the Volvo, who stopped beside us in Stow in Gloucestershire to point it out!

My only feeble excuse is that whilst doing final checks my son called in to say farewell as he was off to India with his family for three years!

Edited by PR1
Add!

When we've hitched up, and just ready to jump in the car to start off, my last two jobs are:

1.   Walk around the area of the caravan, and double check that everything has gone, ie, crank handle to wind up steadies, and any odds and sods; and

2.   I climb into the caravan and look at everything to make sure nothing will come loose, including windows and skylights, ie, actually pushing to make sure nothing will open, and the catches are in the very closed position

Before travelling with the caravan I used to check everything, and then my checks were checked again by "the boss" before I was allowed to move off! A foolproof method, because any errors were then "her" responsibility :rolleyes:

Now we have the MH, it's amazing how many times something inside has not been fully secured only to be discovered once we bump out of a site. The classic is the sliding door into the loo area that is never locked in the open position unless travelling, therefore is easily overlooked.

11 hours ago, PR1 said:

In almost ten years of caravanning today I forgot to completely close the main sky light on our Bailey Phoenix! It was locked in the lowest setting and had survived 100 miles of travelling, mostly at 60 mph!

Many thanks to the gentleman in the Volvo, who stopped beside us in Stow in Gloucestershire to point it out!

My only feeble excuse is that whilst doing final checks my son called in to say farewell as he was off to India with his family for three years!

It's so easy to miss something if you're interrupted. If that happens when I'm hitching up (some sociable person coming over to chat) I start again from the beginning.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2019 at 11:25, TedNewman said:

The intention of the red dot is simply to indicate the pointed end of the aerial - you then follow Status’s instructions and position the point facing rear-wards.

On 16/07/2019 at 11:33, Black Grouse said:

The H/V indicator should face forward on my Status directional aerial - so that most of the antenna is behind the pole.

BG, what’s an “H/V indicator” ?

John

Sign in to follow this