Sign in to follow this  
Paul90125

Draining water

Hi

I got my very first caravan yesterday and have just had a night away in it and have now brought it home. I’m not going to be using it for a month so I have drained all the water. Was this really necessary (for a month, in July - so not freezing)?

Thanks

Paul

if you are talking "fresh/drinking water" then yes I think so.  Also, why tow all that water? If  toilet flush then no, that could be left in its tank.

Once fresh water drained I also leave all the taps open.

macafee2 

4 hours ago, macafee2 said:

if you are talking "fresh/drinking water" then yes I think so.  Also, why tow all that water? If  toilet flush then no, that could be left in its tank.

Once fresh water drained I also leave all the taps open.

macafee2 

For breaks on the way to make a brew, for an overnight stop to allow drinks / shower the next morning. Stops seals drying out in taps and pumps. It works for me.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

6 hours ago, Paul90125 said:

Hi

I got my very first caravan yesterday and have just had a night away in it and have now brought it home. I’m not going to be using it for a month so I have drained all the water. Was this really necessary (for a month, in July - so not freezing)?

Thanks

Paul

Legionella, yummy

We drain ours, both the drinking system and the toilet. We forgot the flush tank once and got black bits. It can be more than 10% of payload and I wouldn't want to drink stale water, even if it had some wonder chemical in it to keep it clean.

30 minutes ago, svimes said:

We drain ours, both the drinking system and the toilet. We forgot the flush tank once and got black bits. It can be more than 10% of payload and I wouldn't want to drink stale water, even if it had some wonder chemical in it to keep it clean.

We always drain the water off too, for the same reasons.

John.

8 hours ago, macafee2 said:

If  toilet flush then no, that could be left in its tank.

With previous caravans I was always told do not tow with more than two thirds full, with this new caravan at hand over was instructed to empty flush tank before towing and shown the drain pipe that is there to do the draining.

3 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

For breaks on the way to make a brew, for an overnight stop to allow drinks / shower the next morning. Stops seals drying out in taps and pumps. It works for me.

we don't make drinks on the way and any overnight stops would probably be at a site so did not consider those points.

So far we have not towed more then 250 or so miles

As for seals on taps, not convinced about that one.

macafee2

My water heater has a big label on it telling me not to travel with it full,  my handbook suggest that I don't tow with the van full and I personally don't want to tow a load of surplus water  around with me so I drain the water system and the loo before we leave site.

In the end it's up to you to do what you want to

However do not drain hot water tank onto a grass pitch, it kills the grass

52 minutes ago, David 38 said:

With previous caravans I was always told do not tow with more than two thirds full, with this new caravan at hand over was instructed to empty flush tank before towing and shown the drain pipe that is there to do the draining.

Towards the end of each trip, I only put enough water in the flush tank to stop the low level light from operating - that way, there's enough flush to use the toilet of the next journey, the weight is minimised and the risk of splash/leak are also minimised.

1 hour ago, macafee2 said:

we don't make drinks on the way and any overnight stops would probably be at a site so did not consider those points.

So far we have not towed more then 250 or so miles

As for seals on taps, not convinced about that one.

macafee2

Maybe not the seals on taps, I do think pumps are potentially affected though.

I do a few trips up to Scotland circa 450 miles and I like to set off around lunchtime, stop around Gretna usually in the not too glamorous motorway services and then on the next day to complete my journey. I usually have just over 1/2 tank of water and that is plenty for the whole journey.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I do a few trips up to Scotland circa 450 miles and I like to set off around lunchtime, stop around Gretna usually in the not too glamorous motorway services and then on the next day to complete my journey. I usually have just over 1/2 tank of water and that is plenty for the whole journey.

I think you are talking about fresh water tank? The op asked about hot water tank and toilet rinse tank.

15 minutes ago, Ern said:

The op asked about hot water tank and toilet rinse tank.

I would never leave my hot tank standing full for more than a few days.   I remember leaving it for a couple of weeks when I returned home briefly from Spain.   On my return, the first bowl of water I drew off smelt rather unpleasant.    As for travelling with the hot tank full - maybe if I'm moving on to a new site less than 100 miles away, I leave it full.   Otherwise it travels empty.   With the flush tank, I only put in around a litre each time I refill, so it's never anywhere near full.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I'd start early and do that in one day but that distance to Scotland is all motorway for me.

Once off the motorway it can be hard work and slow going.

macafee2

23 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I'd start early and do that in one day but that distance to Scotland is all motorway for me.

Once off the motorway it can be hard work and slow going.

macafee2

I do the journey back in one day but going I just take it easy and really enjoy the drive north of Gretna winding my way up into the highlands. I just find it relaxing to break the journey.

Water heater is always emptied before travelling (nose weight issues) and the flush tank has around a litre in it "just in case".  ;)

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the answers. The toilet was all sorted and emptied before we packed away. So, before we left the site we opened all the taps and let all the water drain. However, i’d forgotten the yellow drain down lever. So I emptied that at home. Where was that water from (it seemed as if there was a lot). Had this come from the water heater (we don’t have an on-board fresh water tank).

Thanks

Paul

We drain down everything each time trip.   We had damp in our last van seemingly caused by not emptying the flush, so advised in this new van to drain down - so we do. 

It's in the water heater, usually around 8 - 10 litres (just over 2 gallons)

• Like 1

When you drain for winter leave all taps open,

40 minutes ago, matelodave said:

It's in the water heater, usually around 8 - 10 litres (just over 2 gallons)

To elaborate, on most vans you fill the hot water tank to prime the system.

So on ours (Truma Combi) there's 10litres in the hot water tank and then a bit more in the pipes, plus a few more on the toilet flush

1 hour ago, Paul90125 said:

So, before we left the site we opened all the taps and let all the water drain. However, i’d forgotten the yellow drain down lever. So I emptied that at home. Where was that water from

You won't drain the water from the boiler by opening the taps.   You oly get water from the boiler because water is being pumped into it.   Once the pump stops, the water flow stops and the boiler remains full.   You only drain it by flipping over the yellow lever - all 10 litres of it.

21 hours ago, Paul90125 said:

Hi

Strictly speaking it is not necessary from the point of view of the water freezing but the general consensus is that it is better to tow with minimal weight in the caravan, hence the recommendation by many to drain down before towing, whether summer or winter.

Personally I prefer to travel with a full tank and all serviced primed and ready to go. On a recent two week trip in the motorhome, I filled the fresh water tank to the brim before leaving home, and had no need for more water for the entire trip, and the two waste water tanks were only partially filled by the end. Consequently I was able to use non-serviced pitches at the three sites we used, only plugging in to the EHU for the convenience of running a TV. 

image.png image.png image.png

not a problem with freezing at this time of the year but most definitely empty the water system and toilet completely in the winter to avoid split taps, damaged pumps and other problems due to water freezing - it can work out to be very expensive (been there and got the T-shirt)