Sign in to follow this  
adora

Issue with Thetford Toilet not flushing.

Ok guys so I might be posting in the wrong section here but I thought I'd start here before choosing a specific forum for two issues I have which aren't actually Adria's fault but are related to 3 party equipment fitted to the van which Adria owners may have come across.

The fist issue is that the electric flush for the Thetford toilet fitted to my 2007 Adora 532 LD has stopped working and I didn't have time to check it through thoroughly the last time I was there a month ago but I did locate the PCB under the panel on the top left of the toilet which is part of the circuitry. 

The flush  was working fine last season right up to when we last used it but from the first time in the van this season there was no electric flush. We can live without it as we only use it for wees and we can have a jug on standby but we prefer to have it working.

My first port of call has to be to find the fuse that protects the circuit to see if that is intact but beyond that if it's not the cause then the problem could lie in the PCB.

Has anyone else had this issue with Thetford toilets?

The other issue is with the complete Whale pump assembly. The pump works fine but the connector that plugs into the van ( the one with the O-ring and dual electrical contacts ) the part with the O-ring broke off through my other half being heavy handed when she offered to and it's held together with superglue which I've had to repair with glue twice. Obviously I will have to buy the complete pump and hose assembly but are just the connectors still available so that I can fix the old one have a standby in case of future emergency?  I believe they used to be available but I've been unable to find any!

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted (edited)

On my caravan there is a blade fuse.  You have to go outside and remove the cassette.  What model is your toilet?

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kelper said:

On my caravan there is a blade fuse.  You have to go outside and remove the cassette.  What model is your toilet?

Thanks for replying.

To be honest I haven't a clue about the toilet model and I'm not up there until the weekend and I'm certain the original handbook etc are also in the van so I'm not much help I'm afraid.

I can certainly look for a blade fuse outside to see if that is the cause.

I was going to look in the fuse circuits under the front off-side bunk to find one that's blown but it makes sense that there may be one in the toilet unit itself.

You might need a new flush pump. Ours was found seized when last serviced and they said sometimes tapping them might let it work but not in my case so a new one was put on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

According to my mobile engineer, more than 70% of non functioning toilet flushes he encounters are down to toilet flush fluid left to dry out in the pump impeller and seize it up. You don’t say which model of thetford toilet you have, but you might want to google how to access the pump in your model. Remove the pump and turn the rotor blades with a small screwdriver.  This often frees the rotor...it did on mine. If the caravan isn’t to be used for some time, I always flush the pump with clean water before draining. (I often leave this clean water in the tank to submerge the pump, if the storage period is not in frosty period.)

Edited by ericfield
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ericfield said:

According to my mobile engineer, more than 70% of non functioning toilet flushes he encounters are down to toilet flush fluid left to dry out in the pump impeller and seize it up. You don’t say which model of thetford toilet you have, but you might want to google how to access the pump in your model. Remove the pump and turn the rotor blades with a small screwdriver.  This often frees the rotor...it did on mine. If the caravan isn’t to be used for some time, I always flush the pump with clean water before draining. (I often leave this clean water in the tank to submerge the pump, if the storage period is not in frosty period.)

Thanks for the reply.

Well we always drain off the pink fluid as well as emptying and flushing out the waste tank as well draining off the entire water system before we leave the caravan over winter in the North East of England so nothing was out of the ordinary last winter but as you suggest, the impeller could be seized  so that's one thing I'll certainly look at. It can't be much as it was fine last year so I'll check out Youtube etc to look for a fix.  

I've done a quick search to find out which model of toilet I believe it is and it looks very much like it's the Thetford C402C so that might help someone point me in the right direction.

If it is the 402c bench toilet there's a video on Youtube that shows how to access the pump and free it's impeller and where the fuse resides. The pink flush additive tends to leave a residue on all surfaces that dries off when drained down and that can build up to be a problem in terms of layers flaking off as black bits and gungeing up moving parts. However even if pink isn't used, impellers can stick, especially when left inactive over, say, a winter. The video suggests that the fuse will always fail if the pump sticks but in my experience the fuse often remains ok even if the impeller has stuck.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's the manual https://thetford-europe.com/api/v1/DocumentTranslation/1228/ContentDownload

The blade fuse is part number 29.  It's in the recess for the cassette, located roughly, under the flush button.  There is another manual for a right-handed version.  If you sit on the loo and the cassette door is on your right, you have the right-hand version.  Fuses can be bought at most garages.  from memory, it's a 3A (yellow)

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

If it is the 402c bench toilet there's a video on Youtube that shows how to access the pump and free it's impeller and where the fuse resides. The pink flush additive tends to leave a residue on all surfaces that dries off when drained down and that can build up to be a problem in terms of layers flaking off as black bits and gungeing up moving parts. However even if pink isn't used, impellers can stick, especially when left inactive over, say, a winter. The video suggests that the fuse will always fail if the pump sticks but in my experience the fuse often remains ok even if the impeller has stuck.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to try Youtube as there's usually always someone who's come across a similar problem with popular equipment that posts a video of how they solved it but it's always best to ask first as like you say, from your experience it isn't always the fuse that blows  so it's good to have a selection of advice and opinions of what could be wrong before starting out.

I found the value of Youtube not so long ago when my once quite expensive but now dated Canon high quality photo printer head had become blocked and unusable due to lack of use ( possibly similar to the issue with the pump) and replacement heads are no longer available but someone had posted a vid of how to clean it with just distilled water and worked a treat so it's always worth looking on there.

I can do my research this week and hopefully solve it next week as we're due to go for another week at the weekend. 

1 hour ago, kelper said:

Here's the manual https://thetford-europe.com/api/v1/DocumentTranslation/1228/ContentDownload

The blade fuse is part number 29.  It's in the recess for the cassette, located roughly, under the flush button.  There is another manual for a right-handed version.  If you sit on the loo and the cassette door is on your right, you have the right-hand version.  Fuses can be bought at most garages.  from memory, it's a 3A (yellow)

Absolutely perfect and just the info I wanted.  :Thankyou:

I usually keep a few blade fuses in my car in case of emergency. I believe there are two physical  blade fuse sizes but in any case, as you say I can soon get the correct one from a motorist's shop if I don't have it so no worries about that.

I have a multi-meter which I keep in the caravan and can check everything thoroughly so it shouldn't be difficult to isolate the problem once I know what I'm looking for.

Clearly from your description I have the right hand version so I'll look for that one and familiarise myself with it before the weekend.

Thanks again . 

I seem to remember our Thetford fuse was 3A purple fuse.

• Like 1

You are right; 3A standard or mini blade fuses are violet.

• Like 1

Easy way to check if pump has seized, close door and blinds in toilet, turn on toilet room light, and then activate flush switch, if the pump has seized then the toilet room light will momentarily dim.

• Like 2

On 14/07/2019 at 22:08, Paul1957 said:

You might need a new flush pump. Ours was found seized when last serviced and they said sometimes tapping them might let it work but not in my case so a new one was put on.

Before throwing the old seized pump away, I cut it open to see what was wrong and found the motor bottom bearing had rusted solid so the shaft could not be turned. Next to it is a small rubber seal that the motor shaft goes through on its way to the impeller. Likely this seal had worn and let some water through.

• Like 1

Re the whale pump-if it's the o ring housing male part that is on the caravan wall you can buy that as a unit. If it is the body of the whale pump that is then plugged in to the caravan wall then not so sure you can get that as a separate part; however a complete new pump is less than £50 esp if you trawl ebay and some people carry two pumps anyway-keep the  old one and then if anything else broke you have a spare you can make up from the two-unlikely you would do the same sort of damage again!