macafee2

Theft when on site

Have many of you suffered theft of things like, water pumps, steps, aqua rolls or waster masters?

I have spare aqua rolls, a waste master and a set of folding aluminium steps. For the price I paid it is worth hanging on to them just in case but

is there much theft of these items?

macafee2

We had a 15kg Calor gas bottle stolen from outside our caravan.  We had filled it up the day before and during the night they cut the gas pipe connection.  We suspected it was someone from the statics on site.

Only a bath towel stolen in Budapest in 1992. It was left out overnight on a drier. Camped and caravanned now for 40 years. 

John.

Two towels stolen from within the laundry on a CCC site in the UK. A solar shower stolen at Lake Garda.

Russ

Someone on this forum had a toilet cassette stolen and only found out when someone did a ...........

Who was it?

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

Someone on this forum had a toilet cassette stolen and only found out when someone did a ...........

Who was it?

Are the missing words 'camp stool'? :P

Steve

• Haha 2

Over 40 years caravanning and camping under canvas before that. Never had anything stolen. A friend had his gas bottle (free standing) and a Tilly light stolen from outside his caravan while we were all sitting in it having a drink one evening. 

This was on the forest site at Bedgellert, run by The Caravan Club in those days .

I've been camping and later caravanning since the mid 60's.  As far as I know nothing has been stolen though I have lost a few items through my own negligence.  (Tempting providence.)

Once on a small French site we returned in our motorhome to find our electricity cable still in place but two rubber doormats missing from their positions next to our tracks in the foot high grass.  We wondered why all the French round us were smiling.  Anyway I took a stroll round the field and located them outside a very posh British outfit, Caravan Club membership badge proudly displayed.  On asking for them back it was explained that as it was wet, the farmer had said to look round the field for duckboards.  They  were on the only pitch that remotely resembled a hard standing and were using them as doormats!  There was nothing by way of an apology forthcoming and they avoided eye contact for the three days we remained there.

Edited by rovinmad
Correction

If anybody is thinking of going to the cc site at Clumber Park. There have been numerous reports of thefts, particularly of bikes. :angry:

We used a site in Spain several times for overnighters and one C&CC Rally, and there was a semi full time Spanish family there who regularly collected furniture from pitches. They  always handed it over when asked and apologised for their "error" We couldn't believe the site manager allowed them to stay on site despite the complaints. 

6 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

If anybody is thinking of going to the cc site at Clumber Park. There have been numerous reports of thefts, particularly of bikes. :angry:

We were there a couple of years ago and the (alarmed) shed where people stored their bikes got broken into one night, not uncommon apparently 

Site in cardiff city centre is known for have bikes go disappearing.Mainly due to the public can walk thru the site on there way to and fro the castle.

we had a satellite Snipe dish stolen 2 years ago from bransgore cmc

But i do think the worst sites are storage sites.Father in law had a A frame cover stolen,and found it on a A frame about 10 vans away.as he'd wrote his p/c on the inside. Needless to say he reported it and they where removed fro the site.

Edited by smino0_1

We stayed at Cwmcarn Forest Drive Camp Site some years ago and were warned by the wardens not to leave bikes outside overnight, no matter how securely chained they were.  Non-locals would come in the dead of night and steal bikes or removed desirable parts from them.

The site is used by mountain bikers, so some of the bikes are worth thousands of pounds.  The wardens told of one group who put all their bikes in their van, whilst they all slept in tents and in the morning all the bikes were gone and no one heard a thing.

Personally, we've never had anything go walkabout, but friends who were with us, in one of our spare tents, were woken in the night by the tent zip being opened, a quick "Oi" and they heard the culprit running off.  Evidently it was a rough sleeper who for weeks had been entering tents and awnings in the night and taking any loose change and cigarettes left laying about.  He did get caught later that week.

Maybe it’s because of my lifetime of dealing with low-life’s but I always chain/lock my aqua roll and wastemaster to the caravan chassis. They are not cheap items but the ARE dead easy to pinch! 

I am however unable to do the same with the water pump that simply plugs into the side :(

It does surprise me to see some of the valuable kit (Cadac’s, portable fridges, Lafuma  chairs, bikes etc) that trusting people leave, in plain view, in their awnings, especially overnight. It only takes someone leaving early morning to remove them overnight and then be miles away before the theft is discovered!

Andy

• Like 2

We had a toilet cassette stolen when our van was on our drive at home, but discovered before anyone used the loo.

I guess that there is a balance to be struck between being conscious that things can and sometimes do get nicked while on site, and relaxing and enjoying the freedoms that we are seeking.  I wouldn’t chain up an aqua roll; but appreciate that others may think it important to do so.  

Nanamel

Edited by Nanamel
Wording

The last thing I had stolen was a primus stove left beside my Ford Anglia at a camp site in Whitby round about 1973. .....

Couple of low life s unzipped the outer fly of my Spacepacker  tent then unzipped the inner sleep tent.

Their commotion woke me from my slumbers just in time for me to see the furry black and white perishes scamper away with a couple of slices of bread each.

The Florida raccoons had robbed yet another unsuspecting camper😀

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Maybe it’s because of my lifetime of dealing with low-life’s but I always chain/lock my aqua roll and wastemaster to the caravan chassis. They are not cheap items but the ARE dead easy to pinch! 

I am however unable to do the same with the water pump that simply plugs into the side :(

It does surprise me to see some of the valuable kit (Cadac’s, portable fridges, Lafuma  chairs, bikes etc) that trusting people leave, in plain view, in their awnings, especially overnight. It only takes someone leaving early morning to remove them overnight and then be miles away before the theft is discovered!

Andy

A couple of decades ago we toured France by tent and car.

I built The Wife a bike out of rusty bits lying about the garage-so she could get our daily fresh French bread-

I fitted a bike rack and secured the bike with a bit of rope on the basis no one would steal a rubbish bike.

We were amazed to find it stolen from our locked car park after our first night in France!

I left my phone in the toilet block recently.  It was handed in to the wardens.  Even the emergency £10 in the case was still there.

If the person is on here, Thank You.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

Good to hear a positive story.   Here's another.   A few years ago I was getting ready to leave my long term site in Spain.   I trundled the half-full Aquaroll down to the tap and drain to empty out the water.   After emptying, I hosed down the barrel and carried it back to the caravan, putting it on the A-frame to dry.   Eventually it was packed and I left.   At the end of the day, on my overnight site, I got out the barrel to get water.   No handle!   I looked - but felt sure I'd left it by the tap.    It made water collecting difficult on the way home.   Fast-forward to the following year where I was pitched on the previous plot.   On my first day there a guy came along asking if I'd lost an Aquaroll handle.   He went off and came back with it.

• Like 2

I've probably been lulled into a false sense of security from the time spent renovating our hovel in France. At first, I used to lock everything up in the designated areas at the end of each day's work. It didn't take long for me to run out of storage space [first time when 20+ sheets of plasterboard were delivered ...] and my neighbour pointed out that there was more chance of damage from an overnight shower than there was from theft. Following morning, everything was all present and correct. My neighbour then asked me if I had seen all the cut timber in the small, privately owned coppices in the area.

As he said, if the village is to survive, or thrive, everyone has to help each other and look out for your neighbours; if petty thieving starts, there will be no trust and the community will crumble, as people move away to towns. It is true, and it is rather nice.

We leave house keys with our neighbours and also with the local contractors so that they can fit work in when we're back in Scotland. I get an email 'Work finished, photo attached; any problems let me know. Invoice also attached, happy to wait until you return to France in early October for payment'.

Caravanning on smaller municipals has a similar atmosphere, and we were remembered at Montoire sur le Loir from last year's visit. The Wardens keep a watching brief on kit, as do the neighbouring campers, so bikes can be left unlocked, the 'cycle campers' can pitch and then shower without worrying about bike security etc and the holiday is very relaxed.

Of course, one day I'll have a load of kit pinched but until then I'll enjoy being amongst people who respect the possessions of others.

Steve

• Like 2

I have just returned from a few days at a Forest site in the booking was the statement "Regrettably organised thieves are known to operate in the New Forest area, which is an open and unfenced environment. High value bicycles left outside units in particular are targeted. Please be aware and make your own informed choices regarding security arrangements for your property.”                               Forewarned is forearmed

so generally it is not a major issue but if it happens when away and its not the last day or day before its a major problem

to have waste master and aqua roll stolen. Anything else will of course be more serious.

macafee2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigger said:

I left my phone in the toilet block recently.  It was handed in to the wardens.  Even the emergency £10 in the case was still there.

If the person is on here, Thank You.

Left our beloved red Ford Consul and boat trailer on the slipway at Queensferry.

After a very enjoyable sail to the Cramond Inn for lunch we returned to find the tide had come in!!!

Fortunately for us the owner of the local chandlers-The Anchorage noticed our thoughtless stupidity broke into the Consul and drove it off the pier.

Queensferry Boat Club is long gone from the pier but I never forget that good Samaritans kind act.

Needless to say this took place over 40 years ago.

Back in 1982 we had our bike rack stolen off the roof of our car on a municipal site at Bias, Les Landes. I had to source a replacement so we could get the bikes home. I had a devil of a job claiming the cost back from my insurance even with a police report, they tried to renege on a promise over the phone that they would accept the claim.

If I thought I needed to lock and chain my Aquaroll and Wastmester I would not go there. If caravanning has come to that then I think its time to quit.

• Like 5