Sign in to follow this  
macafee2

Theft when on site or not

Posted (edited)

image.png.2c3b3d5147e2ae16f07ea3f958409caf.pngsaw this on a caravan  cassette door  on the motorway, it made my day:lol:

Last week , on site because of the heat we stayed in the shade with the dogs for a couple of days.   In our little bit there were 7 caravans and they all left the windows wide open  when they went out for the day. They also left the chairs and tables etc.  I can vouch that nothing was stolen while we were there but we did have to take the dogs for a quick walk a few times, so their 'vans were open to one and all. Why do that, you wouldn't leave everything open if you were at home surely ?

Edited by joanie
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, joanie said:

Why do that, you wouldn't leave everything open if you were at home surely ?

Because you know that a caravan is so easy to break in to that an open window with flyscreen down is practically the same as closed?

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, svimes said:

Because you know that a caravan is so easy to break in to that an open window with flyscreen down is practically the same as closed?

I have proper “framed” windows, obviously they won’t stop a determining thief but they are more difficult to break into than the standard ‘Billy Basic’ caravan windows.

69BF74F5-2E15-4C32-AF1F-052B62A3F1E8.png

Edited by Borussia 1900

22 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I have proper “framed” windows, obviously they won’t stop a determining thief but they are more difficult to break into than the standard ‘Billy Basic’ caravan windows.

69BF74F5-2E15-4C32-AF1F-052B62A3F1E8.png

Nobody has given our Gobur Folding Caravan a second look ... Well, apart from passers by who mutter something like ' what ...' or a slightly less impolite enquiry ... No TV, no poser bikes or obvious signs of quality kit [and I no longer take my DSLR and collection of lenses], we're more likely to receive a donation from the Swag Bag of any would be miscreant. Might be famous last words :rolleyes:

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Poser bikes? What are those 🤔

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Poser bikes? What are those 🤔

They're what we don't buy! The £4,300 types that are 'reviewed' in the Guardian each week by Martin Love[?]. Basically, a 'cut & paste' of the Trade Catalogue plus 20 words on how coll you'll look [because 'impoverished' contains too many syllables and is just SOOO judgemental ...]. :D

Fred Drift; in Year 4 Primary School, I played Mr Beadle in our Class Play version of Oliver Twist, so I became an early devotee of the Workhouse. 'it's not that I lack ambition; it's just that I started at the bottom and found that I rather liked it ..'

Steve

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

They're what we don't buy! The £4,300 types that are 'reviewed' in the Guardian each week by Martin Love[?]. Basically, a 'cut & paste' of the Trade Catalogue plus 20 words on how coll you'll look [because 'impoverished' contains too many syllables and is just SOOO judgemental ...]. :D

Fred Drift; in Year 4 Primary School, I played Mr Beadle in our Class Play version of Oliver Twist, so I became an early devotee of the Workhouse. 'it's not that I lack ambition; it's just that I started at the bottom and found that I rather liked it ..'

Steve

lol, ya gret barmpot! 😂😂

I have several very expensive bikes but they’ve all covered thousands of hard miles, certainly not for posing on.

My sister-in-law has just sent me a picture of a Canyon E Mountain Bike she’s getting on Monday, about 4 Grand, she’s not even into cycling, she’ll use it twice then it will sit gathering dust in the garage with all the impulse buys she’s got. More money than sense some folk

Edited by Borussia 1900

21 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

lol, ya gret barmpot! 😂😂

I have several very expensive bikes but they’ve all covered thousands of hard miles, certainly not for posing on.

My sister-in-law has just sent me a picture of a Canyon E Mountain Bike she’s getting on Monday, about 4 Grand, she’s not even into cycling, she’ll use it twice then it will sit gathering dust in the garage with all the impulse buys she’s got. More money than sense some folk

Me too; I have an overdraft of £4.38 at present ... :D And after the bills for the travelling to/from our Baltic Cruise arrive, I'll have even less money!

'Travel broadens the mind; but cruising broadens the wastline'

Steve

2 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Me too; I have an overdraft of £4.38 at present ... :D And after the bills for the travelling to/from our Baltic Cruise arrive, I'll have even less money!

'Travel broadens the mind; but cruising broadens the wastline'

Steve

Where/when are you going cruising Steve? When we get back from Spain my daughter is going with Mrs B’s parents on a cruise to St Petersburg 

Posted (edited)

We had a set of fridge covers taken off our van  on CMC Hawes, New year of  2012,  the were there when we connected up the water, gone the next time we filled up 2days later.

Edited by Connie

4 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I have proper “framed” windows,

But there's no crime in Germany. Surely the inch thick frames and individual window locks add a lot of weight though?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Where/when are you going cruising Steve? When we get back from Spain my daughter is going with Mrs B’s parents on a cruise to St Petersburg 

We're on a Baltic Cruise on NCL Spirit. Start in Stockholm, then Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin, Riga, Klaipeda [Lithuania] Gydinia [Poland], Rostock, Copenhagen, Oslo, Ijmuiden, Bruges, Le Havre, and finish at Southampton on 1st September. 1st time we've booked a Balcony Cabin, hence the damage to the finances! Previously, we've just taken an inside cabin and blown the budget on our favourite destinations. Just before [caused by?] my health problems, we drew up a priority list of Cuba, South America and Japan. And they all came up within a few months of each other, so it was a deep breath and flex the plastic ... Cuba & Caribbean was a 46 nights no fly cruise starting and finishing at Tilbury [Oct to December 2017]; South America was our first NCL cruise [Jan to Feb 2018], 20 nights including stays in Santiago and Buenos Aires; and then Yokohama to Seattle repositioning cruise [Apr to late May 2018], where I organised a 7 hour Private Tour to Hirosaki Castle with Japanese Taxi Drivers who spoke no English! Sitting up front, with Google Translate switched on and swapping phones back and forth with the driver was certainly an experience! I did become a little 'cruised out' by that stage [although it was a case of book whilst it's available], and, having taken a break to clear pulmonary embolisms and related problems, and enjoyed the caravan over the last 11 months, wandering about in tatty shorts and tee shirt, I'm about ready to take a cruise again.

We might be on the same cruise as your in-laws and your daughter! If it is, please let us know!

Safe Home!

Steve

Edited by marchie1053
typo

1 hour ago, svimes said:

But there's no crime in Germany. 

Says who? 

29 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

We might be on the same cruise as your in-laws and your daughter! If it is, please let us know!

Safe Home!

Steve

She’s going on a German Aida boat, various Stops in the Baltic. The in-laws are minted so they won’t be roughing it.

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Says who? 

She’s going on a German Aida boat, various Stops in the Baltic. The in-laws are minted so they won’t be roughing it.

We'll have to carry a 'Are you Borussia's In Laws?' Banner around the ports then. And, in smaller print, obviously, 'You're getting the coffee in, 'cos he says you're minted, and we're not ...'

God loves a trier :D.

On our second cruise, we followed an Aida from port to port. They were always in ahead of us, always left before us; so stereotypically Germanic behaviour! But the Aida did look to be a lovely ship!

Our German friend whom we met on the Cuba cruise sails from Hamburg on 10th August, 4 days before we pass through on the train up to Stockholm, such a shame that we can't meet up for an hour or so! He is crazy, but great value! It was forbidden to reserve sunbeds on the Cuba cruise [German stereotyping?!], so Werner came up with a brilliant counter move. Each morning, he placed a laminated, official-looking sign 'Sunbed Broken' and placed it on his chosen sun lounger ... It was masterful [he sent me a photo of the sign after the cruise so that I could prove what he had done!].

Steve

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

lol, ya gret barmpot! 😂😂

Did 16000 miles in 12 euro countries on my D-I-Y recumbent trike 7x3x3 gears Shimano 7 xSachs 3 speed hub x 3 speed Shimano front derailer

Clip on SPD pedals fibreglass 3 piece body suspension on all 3 wheels folds for flying weight 27 lbs.

It and I survived being hit by a bus in Berlin at the Zoo train station.

Still got it the GRP bits were due a carbon upgrade-not got round to it yet.

Did 400 miles in Florida on my dead dodgy(flexible) Ross Trice before sanity prevailed and got rid of it.

What has cruising got to do with theft from a caravan site. Had someone pinched the boat. I thought such vessels to be  very big not small enough to put on a 80 x 80 pitch!:unsure:

I hope my daughters cruise ship doesn’t drift as far afloat as this thread 😂😂😂

We will all have to 'batten down the hatches' & lock everything away all 'shipshape and Bristol fashion'.:angry:

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I hope my daughters cruise ship doesn’t drift as far afloat as this thread 😂😂😂

Left my keys for the trike locks in the UK.

Locked the trike to the railings in the street in Berlin.

Went to the pub.

Returned to find my two bike keys missing from the usual bunch of keys required in a German city(flat common door-common cellar-common garden-common roof terrace post box-individual flat door)

Bought a junior hacksaw(1 euro)

It took 5 minutes in a busy street to hacksaw through both “hardened” multi strand lock cables.

Only the street cleaners challenged me in a humorous way

50 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Says who

Is it just caravans that don't get stolen then?!

37 minutes ago, svimes said:

Is it just caravans that don't get stolen then?!

I’m sure I’ve mentioned on here before that I’ve just spent more than 2 grand having a safe installed in my house, my neighbour had 6 grands worth of tools nicked from his van parked on our street and my in-laws had their car infotainment system stolen whilst parked on my drive.

Biggest criminals in Germany though are the government, it’s July each year before you get to keep the money you’ve earned for yourself and even then when you spend it another 20% is going to them 

6 hours ago, ancell said:

Blimey, a grand off! Thanks for the tip, my order is in.....not.:o

Already got a couple of AVE MH7s (5yrs now)which part fold and go in back of Landrover, hawser-ed to floor to prevent Mrs Chief having 40kg in the back of the head in the event of a head on. Same hawser locks them to caravan wheel when on site. Never lost anything on site or in storage yet. Fingers crossed.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

my in-laws had their car infotainment system stolen whilst parked on my drive.

While it's only Lady Vimes' unmentionables that have been borrowed without asking from our drive. 

We've currently got two old mountain bikes on the drive while they find a home (need the space for Lady V's new beast), obviously not poseur-enough to be nicked!

Edited by svimes

Sign in to follow this