Sign in to follow this  
TriciaA

Swift basecamp

I'd be interested in hearing from any Swift Basecamp owners, their experiences, have you travelled a lot, long periods of time with your Swift Basecamp, UK/Overseas, pros and cons etc? 

I'm considering purchasing one to travel around in, not just the odd weekends, more like months at a time 

Maybe not much to go on, but some friends of our's bought one at the beginning of this season. They, particularly the girly half of the couple, still wants to tell anyone who will listen, how chuffed they are with it.

We, on the other hand, have left our 'van in Spain and are at the end of our first month in UK with our new Camplet Trailer Tent. Planning on six weeks in France with the TT so that we get back to the 'van once the summer temperatures have calmed down in Spain.

We purchased a 2018 Basecamp Plus last November and have had 10 trips out, all but 3 have provided problems (admittedly most have been minor), build quality doesn't seem to be too good.

We/she bought it because the rear door is wide enough to allow me to push my partners wheelchair (via a ramp) straight into the caravan. Both beds fold up to the walls if needed so she can stay in her chair during the day if she wants.

There is not a lot of storage space inside unless you buy an awning. The purpose made awning is not cheap but doubles the size of the caravan, alternatively you can fit a small (200) porch awning like we do to add a bit more space.

The front locker doesn't take much to fill as most of it is taken up with the spare wheel. a couple of gas bottles, toilet fluid bottles and leveling ramp just about does it for us.

Personally I cannot say that I would like to spend months on end in such a small caravan, though it could suit some if used as advertised, as a base camp.

If you do Facebook there is a Basecamp Owners group on there who could provide much more info than I can.

It does strike me that if contemplating months away that it might be best towed with a van to provide storage 

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES