Sign in to follow this  
PR1

French Speeding tickets!

Posted (edited)

Well Zoe and her boyfriend drove down from Caen to join us for a week at St Germain Les Belles!

They got flashed by a speed camera on the 1st July! Ticket arrived to day, 45 euros. All paid now! Main thing no points!

Not much over the limit either!

Edited by PR1

Join the club!!

And me.  Near Blois with caravan.  I think I overshot the 70 sign.  Doing 79.

45 Euro.  They make it easy to pay.  But pay you must.

John

17 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

And me.  Near Blois with caravan.  I think I overshot the 70 sign.  Doing 79.

45 Euro.  They make it easy to pay.  But pay you must.

John

I've got 3 months post waiting for me, courtesy of Royal Mail, in Scotland, so I hope there's no speeding tickets from the French authorities from the outward trip. Wouldn't be nice to arrive with my eyeballs hanging down to my kneecaps after about 850 miles towing to find a couple of bailiffs on the doorstep!:blush:

Steve

1 hour ago, marchie1053 said:

I've got 3 months post waiting for me, courtesy of Royal Mail, in Scotland, so I hope there's no speeding tickets from the French authorities from the outward trip. Wouldn't be nice to arrive with my eyeballs hanging down to my kneecaps after about 850 miles towing to find a couple of bailiffs on the doorstep!:blush:

Steve

My son looks in on the house for me.  He phoned me up to tell me I had a letter from Paris.  I asked him to open it for the bad news.  If the bill is not paid within x days it jumps up.

John

9 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

My son looks in on the house for me.  He phoned me up to tell me I had a letter from Paris.  I asked him to open it for the bad news.  If the bill is not paid within x days it jumps up.

John

Fingers crossed that I'm OK ... I tend to drive quite gently, according to the VW Connect App that reports my staying within the Speed Limit at all times ... But, it only takes that few seconds of inattention, especially dropping down to a 70kph or 50kph limit, for it all to go wrong!

I'll have to be extra vigilant on the start of the return trip on Monday, and keep concentrating!

Steve

• Like 1

+1

89 in an 80 limit (was 90 of course) - French speed limits are a lottery..... to me at least :(

I must be unique. I have had just a single ticket for speeding and that was in 1972! 

I used to do 20K+ per year, now it’s “only” about 15K (miles) many of those in Europe. 

Andy

I am amazed that I have never been stopped for not having a back number plate though ;) 

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I must be unique. I have had just a single ticket for speeding and that was in 1972! 

I used to do 20K+ per year, now it’s “only” about 15K (miles) many of those in Europe. 

Andy

I am amazed that I have never been stopped for not having a back number plate though ;) 

No, you're not - by a long way - 1956! ;)

19 hours ago, PR1 said:

Well Zoe and her boyfriend drove down from Caen to join us for a week at St Germain Les Belles!

They got flashed by a speed camera on the 1st July! Ticket arrived to day, 45 euros. All paid now! Main thing no points!

Not much over the limit either!

Must have been at least 5 km/h over limit as this is the margin of tolerance deducted from the recorded speed.

It seems the French have now decided to issue penalty notices in English in the hope that most people will pay up.

The solution is at the end of your right leg. Tis not rocket science.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The solution is at the end of your right leg. Tis not rocket science.

Not rocket science but also at times far from obvious what the limit is and when you are towing a van, its busy, you don't know the road and there is alot to concentrate on  it's easy to miss a sign or get confused.  Of course there are superior beings that claim to never exceed the limit (BS).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

You don't get punished for doing wrong. You get punished for getting caught doing wrong!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Birdingbilly said:

Not rocket science but also at times far from obvious what the limit is and when you are towing a van, its busy, you don't know the road and there is alot to concentrate on  it's easy to miss a sign or get confused.  Of course there are superior beings that claim to never exceed the limit (BS).

Car, towing a caravan, lorry,  motorbike etc - tis all the same as it is all part of driving and it is the same for all of us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Birdingbilly said:

And for those superior beings out there please tell me.. what is the current limit on a 2 lane highway in France is it 80 or 90 ?

But before you do read this https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7090731/French-government-reverses-decision-cut-speed-limits-10kmh.html

There's plenty of hearsay and opinion but in the end it's the legislation that counts so your best bet would be to actually check the legislation rather than the Daily Mail  or even the collective wisdom of this forum.

Alternatively err on the side of caution and drive at 80 (or even 85 and hope that you don't get caught).

I used to average around 30-35k miles a year and I've been caught twice in 56 years of driving.

Once in 1967 for thrashing away from a set of traffic lights on the A13 in Essex  whilst trying out my new Cortina and the second was in 2003 for doing 75 in a Transit van on a dual carriageway on the A130 in Essex. The rest of the time I guess I've been everso lucky;)

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

This is the kind of thing you can be faced with in France - genuine question, what is the speed limit ?

Screenshot 2019-07-13 at 14.46.14.png

Posted (edited)

Direction this vehicle is travelling ONCE PAST the “End of 70” sign is 90kph because there are two lanes 

Opposing direction is 80kph because it’s a single lane (unless that sign you see the back of shows  70!) 

Andy

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

You don't get punished for doing wrong. You get punished for getting caught doing wrong!😉

So it’s one of two things.

1. I am good at keeping to posted limits or

2. I am one of the luckiest drivers around to have not been “done” for 37 years of driving. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

2. I am one of the luckiest drivers around to have not been “done” for 37 years of driving. 

Andy

You probably fall into category 2 like me. I haven't even had a parking ticket in 45 years!:D

Parking ticket, what’s one of those then?? 

Andy 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Direction this vehicle is travelling ONCE PAST the “End of 70” sign is 90kph because there are two lanes 

Opposing direction is 80kph because it’s a single lane (unless that sign you see the back of shows  70!) 

Andy

Andy

Well apparently not - because this is not classified as a "divided" highway the limit is 80 in both directions - this is exactly my point - there is no posted limit.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Birdingbilly said:

Well apparently not - because this is not classified as a "divided" highway the limit is 80 in both directions - this is exactly my point - there is no posted limit.

Interesting. My understanding was (until now) same as Plodd so as there is no limiting sign, in what way is this restricted to 80kPH? I believe the solid white line is classed as "segregation."

Edited by Ern

Just a slight move 'off topic' but how come the French have access to out DVLA , yet we do not seem to have the same access according to a resent topic from Kent Police who apparently are letting foreign drivers off speeding tickets.

Another recent topic brought up the vicious speed bumps the French are moving towards in their towns associated with 30 km signs.  Actually 30 is too fast for them with the van on.  

I have found the signage to be confusing.  Sometimes it shows 30 before the hump, so nice and simple.  I interpret as 30 until I come to the 30  with a slash.  

Often there is no 30 with a slash, so have to go by the village limit sign.  Often you see the 30 with slash but don’t remember seeing the 30 start sign.  OK it might be me but talking to others they all agree.

Sometimes the 30 before the hump also has a picture of a hump on it.  I did think it meant 30 max over the hump then automatically cancelled.  But I’m not so sure.

Inconsistency is consistently the case.

The best sign I came across on my recent trip was on leaving a tunnel.  About 100 yards after leaving the tunnel there was a sign telling me the tunnel had finished.  Why oh why.

John 

2 hours ago, Ern said:

Interesting. My understanding was (until now) same as Plodd so as there is no limiting sign, in what way is this restricted to 80kPH? I believe the solid white line is classed as "segregation."

Well according to the french authorities that slapped me with a €45 fine on this road (driving at 89kph and where my car said the limit was 90kph ) it is not classified as segregated because there is no physical barrier between the carriageways - aside from this it now appears to be down to local decisions as to the extent to which the recent 80kph reduced limit is retained or the reversion to the previous 90kph has taken place - it does not make things easy for vistors or indeed locals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icepuffin said:

Just a slight move 'off topic' but how come the French have access to out DVLA , yet we do not seem to have the same access according to a resent topic from Kent Police who apparently are letting foreign drivers off speeding tickets.

Unfortunately the application of the EU Cross-Border Enforcement Directive is the problem. In the UK it is the driver of a speeding vehicle who receives penalty points whereas in France it is the vehicle’s registered keeper who is deemed to be responsible. Consequently a French person caught speeding in the UK could get away with the offence if they are not the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Link

1 hour ago, JCloughie said:

The best sign I came across on my recent trip was on leaving a tunnel.  About 100 yards after leaving the tunnel there was a sign telling me the tunnel had finished.  Why oh why.

It is to confirm your eyesight is up to standard :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1