Sign in to follow this  
Borussia 1900

How far is too far?

I can drive quite happily at 70mph, I have towed at the same speed in France (legal under 3.5t GTW) and wouldn’t fancy doing it for very long - all stable and safe but the concentration was on a different level. Keeping the speed to 60mph does help hugely but it does eventually get tiring.

13 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I can drive quite happily at 70mph, I have towed at the same speed in France (legal under 3.5t GTW) and wouldn’t fancy doing it for very long - all stable and safe but the concentration was on a different level. Keeping the speed to 60mph does help hugely but it does eventually get tiring.

I’m legally only allowed to tow at 90 Km/h in France (GTW 5020 Kg), I don’t though 😛

On 12/07/2019 at 11:14, Durbanite said:

Not towing but in the sixties I have left the city of Salisbury at 4am in the morning and arrived at my destination Cape Town which is 2000 miles at 12.30pm the next day having slept for about 4 hours.  Cortina MkII.  Cape Town to Johannesburg 1000 mile is a day trip.  Would not dream of doing it again at my age.

My dad used to regularly drive from Kitwe Zambia to Johannesburg through the 70's and 80's in a  succession of Mk11 Cortina's, Peugeot 504's and Mercedes saloons, usually at 90mph, single handed whilst smoking his pipe, there was even a civil war going on during one trip which didn't seem to put him off! You had to be very brave to travel as a passenger.

56 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I’m legally only allowed to tow at 90 Km/h in France (GTW 5020 Kg), I don’t though 😛

Me too nowadays despite the same van - was mentioning the France angle as I know people think the world ends if you go more than 60 with a van on the back!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Me too nowadays despite the same van - was mentioning the France angle as I know people think the world ends if you go more than 60 with a van on the back!

Is it not 130 Km/h under 3500 Kg in France? Slightly mental if you ask me but so is standing up for a poo 💩 😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Is it not 130 Km/h under 3500 Kg in France? Slightly mental if you ask me but so is standing up for a poo 💩 😂😂😂😂

It is!

I did see an A7 towing a small van at 130km/h (even thought it was limited to 90) - he gunned it from a peage till all the way to top speed!

I am an ex coach driver as well and tacho  is the way I   work our trips out why rush and maybe have an accident especially when your retired do you have a wish to get to the pearly gates earlier than necessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

That's one theory!

Alternatively you could say that the extra care needed when towing (e.g. needing to be more aware of what's coming up behind despite having less effective mirrors and needing to be more aware of crosswinds etc.) means that your brain needs to be working harder at 60 mph towing than solo at 80!

I'm with you on that one. Towing is much less forgiving of minor errors.

13 hours ago, svimes said:

I'm with you on that one. Towing is much less forgiving of minor errors.

Not as unforgiving as riding a motorcycle!

Sign in to follow this