AlanNancy

Eye Watering Ferry Prices

I am off to France at the beginning of August. As I live in Bognor Regis and my destination is Cognac A ferry from Portsmouth of Newhaven would be ideal.

Portsmouth to Caen - night boat out (no cabin) 1st August. Night boat return 12th August (no cabin) £759

Newhaven to Dieppe  - same date - no cabin £491

Euro Tunnel 1st August 21.20 return 13th August 10.39 £411

So I have gone for Frequent Traveller on the Euro Tunnel - Up front £460 for ten crossings plus £46 each way for the caravan - total return car and caravan £184

We are going to France again in September so another £184. 

Two trips cheaper than a single trip without Frequent Traveller.

Alan

Posted (edited)

Have a look at BF’s overnight service from Portsmouth - Le Havre (pm me for a 10% discount code) It’s on the Etretat which is pretty basic, but, you get on board, you go to bed, you get up, you drive off, so the fact there are only basic facilities is pretty much immaterial.

I live in Weymouth but I use that route in preference to the Poole - Cherbourg route even though Poole is much closer for me.

For eyewatering ferry prices look at the cost of taking a caravan to the Isle Of Wight from Southampton, utterly ludicrous doesn’t come close. For a return with a car plus 8m caravan, mid week early August at a sensible time with two adults is, wait for it,

£245 

Andy

p.s. If you are 60+ you can get a 20% discount on the Newhaven- Dieppe route but you MUST book by phone not via the internet. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Euro Tunnel is cheaper still if you have Tesco Vouchers. for the last 5 years Tesco Vouchers has paid for my return crossing  on Euro Tunnel:D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

I am off to France at the beginning of August. As I live in Bognor Regis and my destination is Cognac A ferry from Portsmouth of Newhaven would be ideal.

Portsmouth to Caen - night boat out (no cabin) 1st August. Night boat return 12th August (no cabin) £759

So I have gone for Frequent Traveller on the Euro Tunnel - Up front £460 for ten crossings plus £46 each way for the caravan - total return car and caravan £184

Alan

Are you , or any member of your party aged 60 or over? Newhaven to Dieppe with DFDS offers 20% discount, but you have to book by phone [0800 917 1201]. We're sailing Dieppe to Newhaven [always book 2 singles so that we can stay to suit our property renovation [lack of] progress], 2 adults, car + folding caravan [qualifies as large trailer] on 18th July 23:59 crossing for £118.80 after discount. And we didn't book weeks or months in advance; made the reservation on 2nd July!

Arrive Newhaven at 04:30, and then gentle pootle up to C&CC site at Clent Hills before the last 320+ miles to the east coast of Scotland.

We'll be returning to France in mid to late October and expect to pay around £125 for a 1 way ticket.

Steve

28 minutes ago, AlanNancy said:

Alan

I looked into this early on in the year and I must of read their terms wrong, it said to add a caravan was £178 extra each way. Could you show me the link for what you have found out, please?

Doosan

1 minute ago, Doosan said:

I looked into this early on in the year and I must of read their terms wrong, it said to add a caravan was £178 extra each way. Could you show me the link for what you have found out, please?

Doosan

If you go to the Euro Tunnel website and check out Frequent Traveller - you can scroll through all the options including dates that cannot be used and time restrictions. I only booked yesterday and paid an extra £92 return for the caravan having already paid for the ten crossings.

Alan

4 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Doosan

Good point! I recall when I used the tunnel (too far from home for me) the cost simply doubled if you had ANY form of trailer because, according to their PR dept “Our customers find it easier to have a flat charge for a caravan rather than having to deal with different trailer sizes/costs” 

Worth double checking your costings

Andy

I got the Hull - Rotterdam Ferry (one way) in 2016 when the Frenchies caused chaos at Dover, Car + Caravan + Cabin + Meals for 2 adults & 1 child was £660 :o.

A Dover - Calais return (with caravan) is usually less than £200 (ferry, tunnel is more) if I book through the CMC.

What I have noticed in the past is if I book with an operator directly (P&O, DFDS, Euro Tunnel) is when I check the prices on their English Website & their German Website, I've experienced price differences of up to 50% for the same crossing.

Just now, AlanNancy said:

If you go to the Euro Tunnel website and check out Frequent Traveller - you can scroll through all the options including dates that cannot be used and time restrictions. I only booked yesterday and paid an extra £92 return for the caravan having already paid for the ten crossings.

Alan

So what is the actual cost of your crossing when you add the cost of the caravan PLUS 10% of the cost of your frequent traveller membership? 

28 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

For eyewatering ferry prices look at the cost of taking a caravan to the Isle Of Wight from Southampton, utterly ludicrous doesn’t come close. For a return with a car plus 8m caravan, mid week early August at a sensible time with two adults is, wait for it,

£245

We certainly have some high ferry prices in the UK.    A forum friend pays the equivalent of £255 for his car/caravan for the 3.5 hour journey between North and South Islands in New Zealand.   

I checked out the Portsmouth/Caen day ferry on 1st September/ back 13th October with the CMC the other day and was astonished to see it was £200 without any package which normally makes it cheaper. The same dates for Dover/Calais was £248. That is the first time I have ever seen it cheaper. If only hubby can get his cataract sorted we might actually be able to book it!

21 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

We certainly have some high ferry prices in the UK.    A forum friend pays the equivalent of £255 for his car/caravan for the 3.5 hour journey between North and South Islands in New Zealand.   

I paid NZ$240 (£130)for this trip solo when I did it, so it must be double for a caravan outfit. The most spectacular car ferry journey on the planet!

33 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So what is the actual cost of your crossing when you add the cost of the caravan PLUS 10% of the cost of your frequent traveller membership? 

It's £46 for the car and £46 for the caravan. What's the 10% you are refering to?

We have been frequent travellers for years. 4 - 6 crossings and you break even. The 10 crossings can be shared with someone else. Can change the booking until 24h before departure. It's brilliant if you travel more than once a year.

47 minutes ago, Doosan said:

Doosan

That's for the rather expensive flexiplus. Standard rate for a caravan is £46.

Keep in mind that there is a peak supplement of £20 or even a high peak of £30.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

I checked out the Portsmouth/Caen day ferry on 1st September/ back 13th October with the CMC the other day and was astonished to see it was £200 without any package which normally makes it cheaper. The same dates for Dover/Calais was £248. That is the first time I have ever seen it cheaper. If only hubby can get his cataract sorted we might actually be able to book it!

I have just looked at the Brittany Ferry website and picked the cheapest boat each day, with a 7 mtr caravan £205 out £175 return total £380! 

Alan

47 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I don't understand the 10%!

I paid £92 for the caravan and £92 for the car total £184 return. The payment for the car was 2 crossings from the 10 that I had already paid for.

Alan

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

£245 

Andy

Even more expensive to IoW from Portsmouth or Lymington

10 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Even more expensive to IoW from Portsmouth or Lymington

Really???

Lymington to Yarmouth is a much shorter route than the other two! (Can’t say I have looked at the prices for that route, I just assumed it would be cheaper because it’s much shorter. Silly me :blink:

Andy

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Lymington to Yarmouth is a much shorter route than the other two! (Can’t say I have looked at the prices for that route, I just assumed it would be cheaper because it’s much shorter. Silly m

Thats because it is a monopoly run by two companies  who fight tooth and nail every time a different solution is proposed - i belive it is the most expensice sea crossing in the world on a per mile basis

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Really???

Lymington to Yarmouth is a much shorter route than the other two! (Can’t say I have looked at the prices for that route, I just assumed it would be cheaper because it’s much shorter. Silly me :blink:

Andy

When we went to IoW a couple of years ago, Red Funnel was half the price from Southampton than WightLink from Portsmouth or Lymington, despite being twice the distance.

3 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

I have just looked at the Brittany Ferry website and picked the cheapest boat each day, with a 7 mtr caravan £205 out £175 return total £380! 

Alan

I just checked again in case I had made a mistake still £200 and that is for a 7.5 metres van.

1 hour ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

I just checked again in case I had made a mistake still £200 and that is for a 7.5 metres van.

Is it the Brittany Ferry website that you are looking at?

Alan

6 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

I am off to France at the beginning of August. 

Two words - school holidays.

I booked on the 24th July 2018 for this summers crossing (the day bookings opened) and we are paying £783 return for Portsmouth -St Malo, with a cabin on the way out (and a 10% discount) - the price of them just goes up and up as more bookings are made (like most airlines), when you could last get a cabin (February March time) it was over £1,000 before discount.

Outside of the school holidays this was about 2/3 of the price.

6 hours ago, LongTimeCaravaner said:

I checked out the Portsmouth/Caen day ferry on 1st September/ back 13th October with the CMC the other day and was astonished to see it was £200 without any package which normally makes it cheaper. 

I checked that on CMC website too and it is still there as a return price of £200 for those dates for car, caravan and two adults -  going out on 1 Sept. at 1445, and coming back at 0800 on 15 October.  No cabins included as not needed. 

But August is a different story. 

I'd like to add this fare comparison. Rip off Britain etc.

Ferry from the south of France to Sicily, crossing time 19 hours. Price including two adults, one dog, a cabin and a 9 metre motorhome is £122 one way. The dog is allowed in our cabin and he is also welcome to visit restaurants and public areas around the ship.

The operator is Corsica Ferries.

This ship will save us around 800 miles, so the fuel alone is close to the cost of the ferry, plus it would take us days, plus tolls and overnight stops.

Russ

2 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

Is it the Brittany Ferry website that you are looking at?

Alan

No. CMC.

11 hours ago, oldboy said:

Euro Tunnel is cheaper still if you have Tesco Vouchers. for the last 5 years Tesco Vouchers has paid for my return crossing  on Euro Tunnel:D

Yung, you spend too much at Tesco...:D