Lolapops

New to caravan and serious help needed

Hi all,

Serious help Required! Always loved caravanning when I was little so bought myself an elddis avante 534 2004 model.... unfortunately didn’t think things through and realised that my parents always prepared the caravan for my enjoyment and now I would have to do it doh!

I’m struggling to charge the battery. I presumed that linking it up to the mains would automatically charge it but nothing really seems to be happening and under the seat inside the caravan is an automatic pack and lots of wires which I have no clue about! 

Any ideas?

also need help with the motor mover but one thing at a time !

D6DA3E34-E7AE-4947-9961-895828711F87.jpeg

E81AC4D4-AD2B-468A-9FEF-5BAA1EFAC00C.jpeg

Edited by Lolapops
Add images

Ok I'm going to take a few guesses here.

Are you hooked up to the mains?

Is the sealey charger in the picture part of the van?

The thick red and black lead that are top right going into the box I guess connect to the battery where does the end out of the box connect to?

If the sealey unit came with the van I have a guess that the onboard charger is kaput and this has been out in its place so you need to make sure it is plugged in somewhere when you are on mains and the leads coming off of it connect to the battery.

In the photo is a stand alone battery charger, not exactly normal equipment!

The easiest way forward is for someone with experience to have a "hands on" look. 

I suggest that you bite the bullet and get a mobile caravan mechanic to give all the electrics a once over, and a damp test would probably be worthwhile as well.

The thick red/black cables coming out of battery box go to the small box which I assume is the mover control.

The thin red/black out of charger I think look as if they could well go into the battery box to charge battery.

The charger unit and mover box are not fastened down to floor, as this been a DIY job?

Is there no mains in the caravan only 12 volt?

That white box holds all the fuses.  Can you take them out, one at a time, and check if any are blown?  There will be a gap in the metal on a blown fuse.

You are all amazing! Bought it second hand and yes I think may have been a DIY job. It’s started raining now so going to put all your thoughts in to action tomorrow and if all fails will have to call out the professionals.

will stay in touch and let you know how I get on.

Having had a closer look at the pictures I agree with David, thick cables are for the mover and it does look like those leads from the sealey goes into the battery box.

I would now look at where the sealey charger gets its mains supply from. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the sockets out of the bed box.

In that case I would look at the battery connections at minimum id expect three wires to each terminal. 

1 charger

2 mover this will be the thick one

3 original van electrics which will be thicker than the charger leads but not as thick as the mover leads. Make sure they are all well tightened in the clamp and both positive and negative are tight on the battery.

Next hook the van up to the mains and check with a known good electric item.

Then find out where the sealey charger plugs into the mains, trace the wire it may be that the previous owner spurred a lead into a cupboard somewhere or you find a plug on the end of it.

Plug on and see what happens.

Id also flip the setting to trickle charge once you have the battery fully charged up and leave it on that setting.

If that doesn't work. Trace the leads from the battery connections and work out where they go.

Have you found the 12v master switch and turned that on?

Lets us know how it goes.

Bingo! Thanks guys!! You were right the sealey needed to be switched on to a socket. It’s now charging....

another thing i’m not sure of is the control panel. I know about the heater controls and the main switches for the pump, battery and master voltage, but what are the 2 switches in the middle for? Can’t find these on any instructions?

FFEEFC74-7962-4F80-9AD1-6597DA7BB715.jpeg

Edited by Lolapops

Dunno; switch them off and see what stops!  :D

Edited by kelper

I would expect one to be master switch for 230v space heater and the other master 230v for the water heater.

You will have to try one at a time to find out.

• Thanks 1

Judging by the controls:

Truma Heater (Ultraheat) control is on far left ; so the LH fused spur switch will be for that service.

Truma water heater gas control isnext right, so the RH fused spur will be for that.

Probably.

The Ultraheat control will (should) light up green when mains power is switched on and the outer ring turned from 'O' to 2000, 500 or 1000 (which equate to the heating element power ratings) and will be accompanied by relay clicks inside the fire housing.

But don't test either until the water heater has been filled with water!  (There is a safety cutout but it's better to have it filled before switching on).  Water heater on electric is a fixed 70C thermostat control on the tank itself.

• Like 1