l1oydo

Hymer Eriba 540 Moving

Viewing a 4 berth 2009 model this evening.

Does anyone happen to know much about this particular model, anything I should look out for?

Details below;

The layout is fixed single beds at the front of the 'van which can be made up to a king size bed. The kitchen area is in the middle on one side with wardrobe to one side and large drawer underneath. The bathroom is also central on the other side of the van with flushing toilet wash basin & shower. The wrap around lounge seating at the rear, which is in a neutral colour, converts to a double bed. There are loads of internal storage throughout.

There are fly screens and blackout blinds to all the windows and the large sunroof. Truma Blown air heating and separate additional gas heater, Truma water heater and fresh water tank.  Hymer caravans are superbly insulated and can be used throughout the winter as well as the summer. 

The Fridge freezer is like new and works on 230 volt, 12v and gas.

The inside of the Hymer is almost like new, has no nasty smells and there are no damp issues as you would expect as it’s a quality Hymer. The van had a service and habitation check earlier this year.

On the roof there is a large solar panel which keeps the new 110 leisure battery charged.

Outside the caravan side panels were painted in the optional silver grey that Hymer were offering at that time. The aluminium body is in excellent condition although there are a few marks expected of a caravan that has been around since 2009.

The original alloy wheels are like new with good tyres and an unused spare in the front locker. The front locker lid has cracks to the fibreglass - apparently a common fault as I found on the internet.

I have the Hymer logbook and an invoice from when the van was sold secondhand in France in 2014 for 17,950 Euros!

There’s the original cycle rack on the back, also a wind out Thule Omnistor awning canopy with fold out legs, a motor mover and there are three large storage lockers for the sun beds, BBQ, etc etc which are accessible from inside under the beds as well as outside. 

The MRO is 1350kg and MTPLM is 1500 kg.

I have the 541 albeit a 2014 model. The layout is the same with 2 fixed single beds at the front.  We particularly like the layout as it allows you to pitch nose in and keep the seating area with the view. Hymer are very well made and you shouldn't experience any issues. I don't know what you are thinking of paying but I would value ours at around 14.5K. Ours also has AC.

I would question the comment about the insulation as we have used ours in winter and wouldn't say it was that well insulated.

Thank you for your feedback. This is a 2009 model so it’s sub 7k.

I’m a little bit confused, one other comment I have is that the ‘Moving’ edition was made for the European market. I thought the Nova was made for the UK market?

The Eriba Moving range wasn't really officially imported into the UK, so there are few about and consequently not many folk know of them..  As it was bought over from France, the position of the reversing light and high intensity rear foglight should be checked to make sure they're the right way round. It may also have Continental mains electricity sockets which need swapping to UK type, or some adaptors obtained. 

As with most Continental vans the Eriba Moving standard spec. vans will likely have been very sparsely kitted and you'll find that a lot of the fixtures and fittings will be cost options. The options all use payload and can substantially reduce what's available for loading. A battery and a mover will use circa 50 to 60kg of payload and the awning plus solar panel will take even more. So be very, very careful about weights and learn all you can, or you could be running well overweight.

Hymer Group shut their Hymer France factory in 2009 and moved production to Germany in 2010. I'm not sure if the Moving range was always produced in Germany, or was originally built in France 'til '09. The VIN plate will tell you. Over the years some Hymer Group caravans were branded Hymer, but most were Eriba and occasionally Eriba produced motorhomes. However from around 2014/15 Hymer Group made it policy that the Hymer branding was reserved for motorhomes and Eriba for caravans.

7 minutes ago, l1oydo said:

Thank you for your feedback. This is a 2009 model so it’s sub 7k.

I’m a little bit confused, one other comment I have is that the ‘Moving’ edition was made for the European market. I thought the Nova was made for the UK market?

As said the Moving range wasn't formally exported to the UK. The Nova range has been an element in the Eriba range since sometime in the '70's and was the range that was added to the poptop Touring type of van to widen Hymer's offering. Circa 2009 Nova's were officially imported into the UK by Lowdhams, who insisted they were branded 'Hymer' because they believed the name lent a more upmarket cachet to the product than 'Eriba'. 

I’m glad I asked, you have raised some worthy points. I obviously need to find the answer to these questions because if this is not UK spec and if the payload is going to be a problem then that will be a stumbling block and I don’t want to waste the sellers time.

I lost out on the original eBay listening but the initial buyer pulled out so I kept in touch.

The listing (now closed) can be found here;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163769561991

The good news is it has a reversing light each side, so no problem there, but you can't tell which of the rear red lights comes on when you're in poor visibility.  Obvs for a UK van it needs to be the offside.

Good observation.

Jury is out on the electrics, slowly coming to the conclusion what I thought was a great find is far from UK spec.

It looks a nice van.

Weirdly though, on checking Hymer's archive of brochures and price lists for both Germany and France the latest I can find a mention of the 'Moving' range is 2004MY. There's absolutely no mention of them in the brochures for 2008 to 2010, which would be the Model Years that a 2009 could possibly be. Of course Hymer produced brochures for lots more countries than just Germany and France and a Hymer caravan could easily be originally sold in any EU country and ownership moved around the EU too. However German and French brochures normally feature all the ranges Hymer produce, whereas other countries get slimmed down ranges.

Very odd.  

Edit the 2004 540 had an MTPLM of 1700kg according to the relevant brochure.

4 hours ago, l1oydo said:

I thought the Nova was made for the UK market?

Not sure that's right. When we lived in Germany the Hymer Nova range was available as a German spec'd caravan for the local market as well as other EU markets. 

59 minutes ago, l1oydo said:

Good observation.

Jury is out on the electrics, slowly coming to the conclusion what I thought was a great find is far from UK spec.

Looks a decent buy, if it's dry and got everything you need I wouldn't bother about whether or not it's  'UK spec'.

The weight it is now is IMO very important to get verified, as with the 150 kgs payload  you quote that must already have been significantly  blown by adding the Thule and mover, if not the battery as well. (some versions like mine include the battery in factory MIRO, some do not). In other respects they are great vans, just here it looks like the original buyer did not opt for the uprated chassis but someone along the line added goodies it could not take.

Changing to UK Mains outlets is trivial, a fiver a time DIY sort of job for the interchangeable socket inserts.

Edited by JTQ

The Moving was never a directly imported model so there really is no such thing as a UK spec. Moving. However to be legal on the road it has to have the lights the right way round (non-UK tourists have a dispensation). For ease of use UK mains sockets are preferable and the gas connections are easily swapped or adaptors purchased.

According to a 2005 Hymer publication, from that Model Year Nova and Moving decals were a choice at purchase but there was no other difference between ranges. How long that arrangement lasted I have no idea. Certainly all the official UK imports by Lowdhams were branded 'Hymer Nova' and I believe Lowdhams didn't offer the whole Nova range of layouts. They also had Hymer fit ovens for the UK market, sometimes in some very odd places.

A 2005MY Nova/Moving 540LE had a nominal MIRO of 1350kg and an MTPLM of 1500kg which could be upgraded to 1600kg or 1700kg. The Moving's had a list of options that could be purchased as discounted packages. The main package weighed 37kg and included spare wheel, extractor fan, grill, panorama skylight, door flyscreen, battery and charging system, shower package and boiler. That little lot would reduce the standard payload to 113kg. There was also a winter package that weighed 12kg and that included supplemental electric heating, fridge vent covers and additional pipe and floor insulation. There were other options that could be specified outside the packages. With both packages and a mover fitted the available payload would be just around 70kg. No wonder they offered upgrades. 

Speaking from experience I would advise that you check the floor from outside along the back of the van, especially in the corners.  We had a beautiful 570 2008,  our son and his family took it over from us. Last month he decided to sell it .  We were all absolutely devastated when a buyer came and checked it over to find the floor in the bottom offside corner was completely  rotten and wet thru.  The buyer knew of this problem as he had owned a 570 which also had this problem. This damp was not obvious from inside as a wardrobe and sink and toilet was covering this area.  He bought the Nova as he loved it but at a reduced price allowing for the repair.  This 570 had been serviced 18 months previous and had a good report but the rotten floor was so bad it must have been rotting away for years.  We now have a Noa luxusline 541 2014 and one thing for sure checking it all over for damp is top priority for us.  We used to be of the opinion that if it was a Hymer van then it was highly unlikely that it would be damp.  

Edited by hymermad

Wow that is an eye opener! Thanks for the advice. This is the problem it would be my first van and I’m not experienced enough to carry out this due diligence.

The other van I have in my sights is;

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/195720044696869/

Yes it more, but that is top of my budget.

Probably the wrong thread but which would you go for and why?

Sorry I'm not able to see the listing but as i really am no expert I wouldn't like to advise you either way.  It would be well worth the money for you to get a mobile caravan engineer to do a full damp report on any van before you parted with your money.  Sorry I cant be more helpful but good luck with your search and if it's a Nova around 2008 then if you can get down and check the floor its advisable.