Sign in to follow this  
avondale4

Window glue ?

Hi guys another question  for those in the know , yesterday my oldest daughter tried to open one of the small windows at the front of our 07  Bailey pageant Bordeaux  she neglected to undonone of the four latches which resulted in it being twisted the two parts of the double glazed unit separated down only one side of it , my question is what kind of glue would be suitable to use to re bond it together ? I have a selection of flies I have a cement weld type used in plastics I also have superglue and a couple of others but not knowing the composition and type of plastic the glazing is I would

rather not try anything until it is ascertained  what adhesive is required. 

A product you need does exist, it is expensive and has a short shelf life.  I used some and I'll try and  find a link if noone else helps.

This is what to look for I think.

WC102 Crack Repair Acrylic Weld Cement Kit 50ml

Try a company called Bondrite

Not sure if you can post links so here goes

https://www.bondrite.co.uk/caravan-repair-products/wc102-crack-repair-acrylic-weld-cement-kit-50ml/p297303.html

You have to think very carefully about what you do here, THIS company can repair windows that have become delaminated but will not touch a window that has been tried to be repaired. I had one of my small front windows repaid by EECO and can recommend them. I think it cost me about £115 to be reaired but that is a lot cheaper than buying a new one. Second hand windows are very rare to find, I know I did try.

Bonne Chance 

I have repaired two caravan acrylic windows very successfully with standard superglue. The repairs lasted. 

Andy

The problem with superglue is its not good with water or UV light, try making a fish tank with it !!!!

Acrylic windows need chemically welding together and for that you need a Dichloromethane based glue, it melts the surface of the acrylic and fuses it together. 

image.png.c247ef06d1f32f204121adc7b02932b0.png 

It is very thin and readily wicks into cracks / separated parts. Hindleys at Sheffield is where I buy mine from but I'm sure there will be other suppliers, shelf life isn't a problem so a tin would last you years!

AJG

9 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

The problem with superglue is its not good with water or UV light, try making a fish tank with it !!!!

AJG

Well the window isn’t going to be under water, merely subjected to rain which runs off would be my first response! 

Like  I said I have very effectively repaired at least three caravan/motorhome acrylic windows using superglue. My vehicles have always been parked outside in both the rain and the sun and the repairs outlasted my ownership. 

Andy

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Well the window isn’t going to be under water, merely subjected to rain which runs off would be my first response! 

Like  I said I have very effectively repaired at least three caravan/motorhome acrylic windows using superglue. My vehicles have always been parked outside in both the rain and the sun and the repairs outlasted my ownership. 

Andy

Thats good stuff then Andy, youve been lucky, well done, as I said, superglue isnt good where water is involved and Dichloromethane based glue is the right stuff to use. I work with Acrylic every day of the week and weld it with this stuff.

Ooh that’s stuff is nasty and full of carcinogenS ok now I have got to the bottom of what chemical composition it is I can get the correct weld solution for it thanks chaps for an interesting conversation. 

Shawn

AJ Galaxy 

ordered from hindleys many thanks 

Shawn

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, avondale4 said:

AJ Galaxy 

ordered from hindleys many thanks 

Shawn

It will work really well, be warned it's very thin and runny which does allow it to wick into the joint. Try and camp it together strong paper clips (the spring type) are good and then the stirring sticks from McDonalds makes a reasonable applicator if you're quick or a needle and a syringe will also work. Practice running some out onto paper first just to get a feel for how it flows.

After about 30 to 40 seconds the acrylic will have a toffee like consistency and it will readily weld itself together.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Like 1

So do you clamp it up first and apply the dichloromethane along the join?

Or apply it down the crack, wait a bit and then clamp it?

On 12/07/2019 at 20:54, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It will work really well, be warned it's very thin and runny which does allow it to wick into the joint. Try and camp it together strong paper clips (the spring type) are good and then the stirring sticks from McDonalds makes a reasonable applicator if you're quick or a needle and a syringe will also work. Practice running some out onto paper first just to get a feel for how it flows.

After about 30 to 40 seconds the acrylic will have a toffee like consistency and it will readily weld itself together.

Please see query above.  Sorry, forgot to quote you.

Clamp it together, it will wick into the gap, the clamp pressure will fuse the surfaces together as they melt (it goes like toffee on the surface, it doesnt melt all the way through), this forms a chemical weld.  I'll try and do some photos or a video of it in action.

Is this glue effective with ABS plastics too?

4 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Tensol 12 is good when you have the items dis assmbled, it's too thick to get into the joints when the parts are just separating.

4 hours ago, PandR said:

Is this glue effective with ABS plastics too?

I'd be using Acetone for ABS, if you get some scrap plastic or cut some from an area thats not seen, put it in a jar with some acetone you can make a coloured paste to match what youre repairing. I did this on my Senator, Bailey use a cream color on the bodywork. Taking the 'A' frame cover off gave me some nice areas to steal some plastic from, worked great.

7 hours ago, rovinmad said:

Sent you a PM

A couple of photographs of 2mm acrylic being joined.

2059264338_glue1.thumb.jpg.be4534b9d8f45b6b5d3e14e57b101d23.jpg

One piece of acrylic placed on the surface of another at right angles. (2 mm Acrylic). The adhesive was just run along the joint and it gets drawn in with capillary action.

After 2 minutes the weld is pretty strong and as you can see, optically pretty good.

724764234_glue2.thumb.jpg.911b8367209e63b05d069a350552bfa1.jpg

After a few hours the acrylic will snap before the joint will fail.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rovinmad said:

Yes clamp it together in the correct place then carefully just apply a small amount to the edge and it will act as a capillary action into the joint . 

Made a number of double glazed acrylic window units for boats in the past . I used to use a hypodermic without the needle to apply to the edge .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

23 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Made a number of double glazed acrylic window units for boats in the past . I used to use a hypodermic without the needle to apply to the edge .

If the OP has got the glue I recommended you would need a fine needle attached to the syringe it's extremely runny. I use a 0.6mm applicator and it floods out of there without being pumped! I would suggest the OP uses a wooden lollipop stick / McD's stirring stick as an applicator.

Hi

If you need a replacement window try sfm caravan parts in halifax they are very good

Please take care with dichoromethane (methylene chloride) as it metabolises to carbon monoxide in the body, and there have been several fatalities. Preferably use it in the open and make every effort not to inhale the vapour.  Don't think a mask will potect you either - it's a tiny molecule!

7 minutes ago, BFM said:

Please take care with dichoromethane (methylene chloride) as it metabolises to carbon monoxide in the body, and there have been several fatalities. Preferably use it in the open and make every effort not to inhale the vapour.  Don't think a mask will potect you either - it's a tiny molecule!

It is also a possible carcinogen so care needs to be taken in its use with appropriate PPE.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BFM said:

Please take care with dichloromethane (methylene chloride) as it metabolises to carbon monoxide in the body, and there have been several fatalities. Preferably use it in the open and make every effort not to inhale the vapour.  Don't think a mask will potect you either - it's a tiny molecule!

6 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

It is also a possible carcinogen so care needs to be taken in its use with appropriate PPE.

And take care with your car too, the exhaust is highly poisonous, the oils and fuel carcinogenic too.

I agree you need to take care, warnings are on the can. Have you guys seen the COSHH sheets on WD40?

Here's the label for the glue, not quite as potent as suggested above, not really requiring chemical suits. Its the same chemical used to glue plastic plumbing together and was the basis for airfix cement that as kids we used for assembling model kits.

image.png.770090cf1f07e06aab4cb35bdfb54587.png

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

Super glue is much safer, and I can confirm, through personal experience, that it sticks acrylic windows back together very effectively and the repair will last for at least 3 years (I sold the MH with the repaired window after that period)

Andy

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Super glue is much safer, and I can confirm, through personal experience, that it sticks acrylic windows back together very effectively and the repair will last for at least 3 years (I sold the MH with the repaired window after that period)

Andy

It actually isnt, there are significant dangers with superglue, especially if you asthmatic. The fumes given off are quite nasty and you can become sensitised to it, many model aircraft builder are really intolerant to it after using it for years.

But yes I accept it can be used for gluing Acrylic windows, it's just not as good LOL