dgc188

Kitchen Mixer Tap Leaking

Hi Dave,

I did try what others have said about unscrewing the main body from the base and I just couldn't get it to move even after removing the taps from their positions. I had the base in a vice with wooden clamps and a wrench around the body and it just wouldn't move. I gave up and just bought 2 new taps. :(

21 hours ago, Doosan said:

Hi Dave,

I did try what others have said about unscrewing the main body from the base and I just couldn't get it to move even after removing the taps from their positions. I had the base in a vice with wooden clamps and a wrench around the body and it just wouldn't move. I gave up and just bought 2 new taps. :(

That's weird Doosan :( why install different taps in same year Bailey vans!? :angry: 

On 12/07/2019 at 08:00, DeeTee said:

I also have a 2006 Series 5 Bailey Ranger though my caravan is a 460/2 model.

Although I do not have a leaky tap I have often wondered how to replace a tap if it developed a fault. It seems to me that the sink has to be removed to access the underside of the tap.

Due to the waste pipe leaking into the adjacent beddding locker I discovered that the vertical pipe is only a push fit to the right angle fitting.

DSCF5331.JPG

This joint will always leak without any sealant. Rather than using a solvent to glue the joint you could use a smear of silicone sealant on the pipe before pushing it back together and then it should still be possible to pull it apart later but it might not be easy.

On our house kitchen taps the spout is held in place by a small screw at the back of the tap. We had to replace one since the spout seal was leaking and scale had built up in the joint causing wear. A socket set helps accessing the nut that holds the tap base under the sink. The tap tails were disconnected at the copper piping to allow the tap removal and they had to be fastened back to the tap before refitting it.

I used silicone when I refitted the waste to our Pageant for the very reason that I didn't want it to end up immoveable. Of course I haven't needed to get in there since.....

11 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

This joint will always leak without any sealant. Rather than using a solvent to glue the joint you could use a smear of silicone sealant on the pipe before pushing it back together and then it should still be possible to pull it apart later but it might not be easy.

On our house kitchen taps the spout is held in place by a small screw at the back of the tap. We had to replace one since the spout seal was leaking and scale had built up in the joint causing wear. A socket set helps accessing the nut that holds the tap base under the sink. The tap tails were disconnected at the copper piping to allow the tap removal and they had to be fastened back to the tap before refitting it.

Thanks for the advice. The photo was taken after I discovered the leak of waste water and was shown to the AWS teckie who subsequently pushed the fitting onto the down pipe during a caravan service.

Another leak occured a couple of months ago I pushed the fitting onto the downpipe as it does not seem possible to apply either adhesive or silicone grease.

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

Thanks for the advice. The photo was taken after I discovered the leak of waste water and was shown to the AWS teckie who subsequently pushed the fitting onto the down pipe during a caravan service.

Another leak occured a couple of months ago I pushed the fitting onto the downpipe as it does not seem possible to apply either adhesive or silicone grease.

Looks like a job for Sugru, life's little helper in caravans.

https://sugru.com/

19 hours ago, ScoobyWRX said:

That's weird Doosan :( why install different taps in same year Bailey vans!? :angry: 

What makes you think that I bought  non Bailey taps? :blink: My new ones (2 years old now)  were ordered from Baileys.

Edited by Doosan

On the good news front - I think I may have fixed the leak! :D:D

For me, the fix (to date) appears to be:

a) a new cartridge - whether this cured it or not is debatable. I stripped the tap down, fitted the new cartridge and (see b below) the leak appears to have gone away;

b) I managed to get the top part of the tap body off with the aid of a few rubber bands to aid the grip. I get the impression the threads here "might" have been locked with some form of Loctite screw filler (but it might just have been gunk). The two white silicon rings were then cleaned with water and a tissue, as were the grooves in which (certainly) the top one sat and also the flat surfaces in the body parts.

Put it all back together, turn the water back on, examine for water seepage. Nothing. Wait a few minutes - still nothing.

So I think - at least for the time being - that I may have cured the problem without, thankfully, having to replace the entire tap. Whether the new cartridge contributed to the cure, I've no idea and I'm not prepared to disturb it all to put the old one back in. The new cartridge did have the silicon rings rather more 'proud' of the surface than the original which appeared to be more flat to the surface.

So here's hoping.

Again thanks to all for comments, help and advice in pointing me in various directions with this. Next time the thing leaks, it WILL be a new tap, complete with all the struggles this might appear to entail.

Cheers guys.

I hope you took some photos of the white silicone rings?  :D  For the team.

For the Team.....

Photo shows the state of the tap body once I managed to get the top section off - note the amount of gunk all over it. It looked a lot cleaner once I took a bit of spit & polish to it all. I didn't take a specific photo of the white silicon rings but they were well mucky. Nice & white by the time I'd finished with them. Even the black rubber washers looked (almost) like new after a clean (not removed from the tap).

IMG_20190715_123729.jpg

11 hours ago, Doosan said:

What makes you think that I bought  non Bailey taps? :blink: My new ones (2 years old now)  were ordered from Baileys.

I was talking about the original taps in your van