Hello hello.

FINALLY booked our first campsite for 25th July for wife and two kids in our 6 birth tourer.

It's our first time in a touring caravan. We're not going too far, but I guess I'm beginning to think about 'what to bring/prepare' in advance. 

Has anyone any pre-tour checklists that might guide our preparatory thinking?

Many thanks.

In order of priority:

Bike

Bike Kit

Beer

Money

Phone

Mover Remote Control

EHU Cable

Levelling Ramps

Waste Water Trolley

Food

Clothes

Toiletries

Dog

Child

Wife

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

In order of priority:

Bike

Bike Kit

Beer

Money

Phone

Mover Remote Control

EHU Cable

Levelling Ramps

Waste Water Trolley

Food

Clothes

Toiletries

Dog

Child

Wife

:ph34r:

See you've got the order right. 

Borussia, I would imagine your wife's priority order would be the reverse.

Generally we take what we would for any other holiday (clothes/toiletries/towels) plus caravan related things such as bedding/gas/small vac/water and waste containers/toilet paper/carrier bags for towels for shower block visits/small TV/food but not too much if there are shops in the area. Make sure there are things for the children to do such as games/books. It is easy to take too much stuff and not use a lot of it.

Just delete the

Bike and Bike kit

and I'm in full agreement!

Posted (edited)

Forgot to add the cooking things - crockery (plastic), pans, cutlery, washing up liquid, dish cloth and towel, washing up bowl (used to carry pots to/from washing up area as well as cleaning pots in). A tool kit is useful since there is always something to fix and spanners are needed to fasten the gas bottle pig tail (hose).

Edited by Paul1957

Posted (edited)

You can find lists of stuff to take on the interweb, but there are a couple of items that are ESSENTIAL.

1. A pen and notepad to write down all the stuff you need to take next time.

2. Bottle opener.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon
  • Like 1

We ALWAYS forget something, no matter how many lists I make.  So take a relaxed attitude and some laissez-faire.  Try not to use any bad words towards your partner.

The worse thing he forgot was the awning poles on a two week holiday in Devon, in second place the food box last year to France.  

Mentally go through your daily routine and every single item you use from toilet paper to opening a tin of food ask yourself "is it in the caravan?".  Then do the same but for setting up/packing away the caravan.  As has been said, you WILL forget something (our notable ones have been coats and bedding) but whatever you forget, you will manage!

Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2019 at 10:20, fooddestroyer said:

I'm beginning to think about 'what to bring/prepare' in advance. 

Has anyone any pre-tour checklists that might guide our preparatory thinking?

I've been caravanning for quite a few years and I've experienced the times of having left something behind.   So on my computer I have several lists which I print off every time I'm going to go away.   The biggest list has 150 items on it.   It breaks down into equipment for car & caravan, documents which I'll maybe need, domestic equipment used in the van, bedding, kitchen requirements, then personal items.................... My second list contains all the items I need to do before I lock the front door............   The third list is the checks I need to do before I select first gear.............. My final list shows all the items I need to take with me before leaving the car on the ferry - that's the 36 hour ferry; not the 75-minute one.    May sound tedious but I find it worth it.

Edited by Jaydug

We have 4 lists:-

Things that normally stay in the van but should be checked

Things to add to the van

Food list

Dog things

Having check/tick lists means that we can both pack items into the van/car and tick them off the list.

Credit card. Everything else is sortable if you have this.

Agree with Fordsabroad.  Besides dosh, the only thing that is essential is any prescribed medication.  Let’s face it: no matter how adventurous us caravanners think we are; in most of the UK you are never more than 30 minutes from Tesco.

Nanamel

You will always forget something at some time. 

The trick is to keep as much everyday stuff as you need in the van.. 

I have a large plastic store box that we use to store van stuff ready for the next trip. 

Anything we take out of the van for laundry goes into the box once done, together with sundry things like kitchen and toilet roll. 

That way, we getting ready for going away, only need to pack clothes, food and the box

We learnt to keep most of the 'stuff' in the caravan so we had much less to think about.

4 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

You will always forget something at some time. 

The trick is to keep as much everyday stuff as you need in the van.. 

I have a large plastic store box that we use to store van stuff ready for the next trip. 

Anything we take out of the van for laundry goes into the box once done, together with sundry things like kitchen and toilet roll. 

That way, we getting ready for going away, only need to pack clothes, food and the box

Thats the system we use, works well for us. 

Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2019 at 15:11, GaryB1969 said:

As has been said, you WILL forget something (our notable ones have been coats and bedding) but whatever you forget, you will manage!

If you are anything like SWMBO and me you will find that about half the things you take you don't need or use! 

Our caravan is stored on our drive and is kept ready to go, apart from fresh food, and I have just been emptying it as we are part exchanging it for a new one. I found that SWMBO had managed to accumulate 13 different types of tea, 5 boxes of 'doggie' poop bags and 10 kilos of toiletries plus a myriad of other items squirreled away in the cupboards that have never seen the light of day.  I'll not mention the things that I loaded and never needed! :o

BH

Edited by Blackhart
  • Like 1

How many plastic bags did you find? Whenever we've emptied ours to part-ex it i am convinced that they breed........ I think we counted over 20 last time.

8 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

How many plastic bags did you find? Whenever we've emptied ours to part-ex it i am convinced that they breed........ I think we counted over 20 last time.

When I emptied our Hymer motorhome to part ex it I counted 98 tea lights.

5 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

When I emptied our Hymer motorhome to part ex it I counted 98 tea lights.

Slightly OT but this morning I was driving past a garden centre in an area where I'd never been before. It had half a dozen placards mounted at regular intervals along it's frontage and one read 'Tea Lights & Candles' and I just had a brief thought along the lines of 'what sort of state has the plant nursery trade come t, that they find such trifles worthy of promoting'. 

I try to avoid shops that sell these smelly candles, even when not lit they make your clothes smell and for me bring on hay fever symptoms. Same with stores with the perfume counters in the entrance like Boots, Debenhams, House of Fraser. So the garden centre that has the signs about tea lights would help me decide not to go there.