toby6033

supermarket with easy access for twin axle caravan and car near to Brittany Ferries Portsmouth

Hi, we are going Portsmouth to Caen at the end of this month and I'm not familiar with Portsmouth itself and wondered if any member could advise about refuelling at preferably a supermarket near to the Brittany Ferries port with easy access for our car and twin axle caravan. We are travelling from Nottingham, so I imagine we'll be ready for diesel by the time we get to Portsmouth. I would prefer not to use services due to the unreasonable cost of fuel they supply. Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation.

It will depend upon which way you are coming from - but if you are on the M3 or the coming down the A34, at the roundabout where the A34 joins the M3, just off the roundabout is a big Tesco 24 hour Superstore.   Even Ok for a few hours sleep after a late arrival in Portsmouth.   About 12 miles from the dock.

• Like 1

Hi Jaydug, thanks for your quick reply.My Caravan Club planned route says A34, M3, M27 on to A275, so I guess your advice is spot on about the big Tesco. Many thanks.

Posted (edited)

I think you are very bold.  When I'm towing and need fuel (which is a situation I try to avoid if possible), I look for a filling station that requires the least effort from me in terms of access.  The last thing I want to do is enter an unknown supermarket complex.

Edited by rovinmad

3 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

I think you are very bold.  When I'm towing and need fuel (which is a situation I try to avoid if possible), I look for a filling station that requires the least effort from me in terms of access.  The last thing I want to do is enter an unknown supermarket complex.

Google Earth is your friend - plus a good look around before you commit yourself - I've only once had to reverse away from a pump as the drive-through pay point was very narrow.

7 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Google Earth is your friend - plus a good look around before you commit yourself - I've only once had to reverse away from a pump as the drive-through pay point was very narrow.

I'm afraid that my prior planning does not yet extend to looking at supermarkets on Google Earth.  I prefer a filling station with nothing between the road and the pump except perhaps the footpath.  They do exist.

Alternatively when you leave the ferry at Ouistreham ferry port and head towards Caen city there is an Esso station on the right  after one mile, with the pumps on the left nearest the road giving a straight run through. It's not the bargain it used to be but price of diesel there today converts from euros to £1.24 sterling. 

thanks to all for your input and kind advice. I'm hoping there are some pumps with easy no-manouvring access.

There is a huge Tesco just off the M27 at Port Solent which is easy to get in and out off. Used it a couple of times myself

3 minutes ago, toby6033 said:

I'm hoping there are some pumps with easy no-manouvring access.

Indeed there is.   This is the forecourt I've recommended at A34/M3 junction.      Entry is directly off a roundabout.   The station is open 24/7

1550985151_TescoWinchester.thumb.png.8b178f0e336dce87c2d19185ef791080.png

3 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

There is a huge Tesco just off the M27 at Port Solent which is easy to get in and out off. Used it a couple of times myself

+1

Easy access, last minute shopping, coffee to kill time.

And, only 3 or 4 miles from the ferry terminal - not M3/A34.

Posted (edited)

We used the Tesco site at Port Solent this week, easy access and exit plus pumps open for card use 24/7.

Dave.

Edited by Pickled Onion
clarification