Sign in to follow this  
AndyP66

Avondale Leda Cheviot bunkbed

Hi all

looking for some help and direction, relating to the bunkbed on a Leda Cheviot.

We have just brought a 1994 leda Cheviot, which I believe as he bunk bed at the rear. what i cant figure out is how you put it up. It is stored under the cupboard space, but we cant figure our how to build it up and if we are any parts missing  Any help or pictures would be a great help

The rear bunk is stored below the rear roof lockers and when the two turnbuckle clips are released, it can be removed and unfolded to form a full width bunk bed base. This then is placed on top of two 2"x2" timber support bars mounted on the side walls of the caravan. These bars are removable by simply sliding them up vertically, so may have been stored elsewhere in the caravan, leaving just the metal slide-mount supports on show. The side seat cushions are of a split / fold design, and when opened out form 2" deep foam bases for the two bunk beds. 

When in use the bunk should look similar to this bunk bed in the Perle Ulysses of the same year. You can just see the two rails on which the folded bunk is stored when not in use.

Rear Perle bunk bed.jpg

I hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Posted (edited)

Hi Gordon. 

Thanks for the reply. We have found only one of the 2x2 support bars. Plus only one bracket on the wall for the right side. No visible holes etc for the other three brackets. 

So can we buy the brackets and if so how do we attach them to the caravan 

11B4ADCE-86D5-44A2-BEBF-C293E28BEE1C.jpeg

Edited by AndyP66
Forgot photo

Well, you've found the right bracket - that's a start. The support bars on our caravan was just varnished timber about 2" square and the width of the bunk. I presume the bracket you've pictured is of a fabric covered support bar? If so, there should be four corresponding brackets screwed to the side walls about 4' 6" up, where there should be a strengthening timber within the wall.

I have about a dozen brackets like the one in your picture but they are only 1.5" square and I believe the ones on the bed are probably larger. If however you could use them, I'd be happy to drop them in the post if you send me a PM with a contact address.

WP_20190710_001[1].jpg

I have one matching bracket on the one wall. The second is missing and the two on the other side are not there and no signs of them ever being fixed to the wall. 

I have managed to source 6 brackets on eBay,not sure of the size. But thanks for the offer. I can make the other bar, but need to know how to fix the remaining brackets to the caravan walls. 

I think it will be a case of confirming where the wall timber frame is exactly. If as you say you have one bracket fixed, clearly the strong points should be at the same height on both sides of the caravan.

Can you post a picture of the completed job once the bunk is installed please?

The only bracket attached to the caravan is screwed to a small block of wood. I need to take the bracket off to see how that is attached. 

My thinking is to attach a length of wood along the side of the van ( using no more nails glue. ) then screwing into the van with cavity plugs. Then fix the brackets to the wood.

I will post pictures once it’s done but it may be a week or two before I get chance to tackle the job.

Thanks for your help Gordon  

• Like 1