Sign in to follow this  
Challengedbytheswift

Newbie - noseweight help required!

Hi all. 

We have just bought a swift challenger 580 2010 model.  Weve got the MTPLM sorted etc but when I try to weigh the noseweight its 98Kg. 

Whilst this is in the limit of the vehicle I'm worried as I've got almost nothing in the front storage bin or front of the van. 

To get 98 I've got the awning and carpet in the middle along with waste and water (both empty) and 4 camping chairs now under the island bed. 

Are they naturally nose heavy and am I panicking unnecessarily? 

Thanks in anticipation 

Ps.  Vehicle is freelander 2 2.2 td4

I can't speak on your particular model but, or indeed the noseweight as these can vary even between identical model vans. What I would say is that if you have your awning in your caravan you are likely to be overloaded anyway.

An average van has a payload of about 150kg. If you fit a battery and mover that will be reduced to about 100kg. An awning will weigh between 25kg and 50kg depending on type/size etc. That leaves about 50kg to 75kg of payload left for everything else in the van, which is a tiny amount.

Far better to put the awning in the car and then check the noseweight.

also put the awning pegs and the electric lead in the car.  We weighed every item this year and distributed it a bit differently between the 'van and the car. We also took more than a few things out. It is surprising e.g. that a large  water butt weight 5kg and an elec lead weighs 4kg. 

As SDA says , you only have a small amount of payload left to use for kitchen equipment , bedding and towels, TV, pink & blue for the toilet, clothes.

Make sure you empty any water as that also eats into your payload.

It took a lot of practice to get the noseweight down to 100kg on our TA Lunar.

I know you shouldnt back load but at one stage we had 10kg of water in bottles in the end loo.

Our SA mover is on the rear axle and we the aircon is fitted behind the axles.

As much as poss is stored under the island bed and the front lockers are empty or contain very light stuff.

Good luck.

Last time we set out, I needed to move things forward to get the noseweight up to the 100 kg I like to tow at - not helped by two empty 6kg gas cylinders although I didn't know at the time - this Lunar Clubmas ES does seem to be naturally light on noseweight.

My view is load your van as you'd like to ideally, ignoring empty noseweight etc. Once loaded, weigh the nose and adjust accordingly. There's little point trying to pre judge it before it's fully loaded as if for a trip.

• Like 1

I don't see a problem towing with a 98kg nose weight with a freelander.

Tow it and  see how it goes.

Layout of the 580 means water heater, battery box and even the fridge is forward of the single axle.  So I'd expect noseweight heavy. There's a wooden centre chest/table as well which will add weight there.

FL2 almost certainly has a 150kg towbar noseweight limit while the caravan is only 100kg.  So 98kg should be fine.

May be worth taking the outfit to a weighbridge for what is being carried in it to ensure MTPLM is not exceeded?  Or consider a Reich Caravan Weight Control?

I used to tow with my Freelander 2 and same layout Swift, albeit based on a lighter van, at various nose weights between 85-100kg with no problems. 

We've never had a problem with nose weights on our caravan and I have a fairly full gas locker. Neither car nor van seemed any different so long as I kept the nose weight sensible. I no longer worry about it, if I can lift the hitch comfortably, it’s about right. 

On 08/07/2019 at 21:08, Challengedbytheswift said:

Hi all. 

We have just bought a swift challenger 580 2010 model.  Weve got the MTPLM sorted etc but when I try to weigh the noseweight its 98Kg. 

Are they naturally nose heavy and am I panicking unnecessarily? 

My Sprite is the same layout and it had a high noseweight when empty. My Tow-Ball static limit is 90KG so I have to trim with with the payload.