Truma Ultrastore Water Heater US 103   850 watt  Part No: 70020-00270 

Like a lot of fellow Truma Ultrastore users on this forum, mine works fine on gas but trips the van RCD on 240v. I removed the Element and got the following readings....
Neutral to Live - 64 ohms
Earth to Neutral - 0 ohms
Earth to Live - 0 ohms
While it was out I connected the element to a plug in my shed which immediately tripped the house RCD. I tried again, but this time I did not connect the earth and HEY PRESTO! the element got hot!
Thinking the element had an earth fault, I ordered a replacement.
After fitting the replacement it again tripped the van RCD exactly like the old element. I then removed the new element and repeated the tests only to find the readings were exactly the same....
Earth to Live - 0 ohms
Again I connected the new element to a plug in my shed and exactly the same thing happened (tripped the house RCD & worked when i removed the earth wire) Thinking it could be a faulty RCD I took it to a friends house and again connected it to a plug but again it tripped the house RCD.
I'm totally baffled !!! unless the replacement element was also faulty I cannot think of anything else it can be.

I also phoned Truma for advice but they advised me to sent the element to them for a free test, which is great but it would mean not having any hot water for a few weeks.

Should I go ahead and buy another element (£135) or am I missing something?  I'm not sure how the built in thermostat would effect any readings, but i assume it would be a simple normally on switch.

Any help would be much appreciated!!  

5 minutes ago, Heedthebaw said:

Earth to Live - 0 ohms

Earth to live should be 1M ohm or more, as should earth to neutral, it is the same bit of heating element wire, so to me, both elements are faulty, send the new one back to Truma.  They may of course say that they have been run without being immersed in water, as they were during your testing, and may not honour  any warranty.

£135!!! I would be looking for a different element should mine ever go!

Earth to live of 0 amps means that the live is shorting to earth and this always trip the RCD. This should never happen in any device.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your quick replies, sorry my mistake, instead of 0 ohms i should have written "No Connection"....

I'll see if I can edit my original post...

Edited by Heedthebaw
mistake

Just an update, I went ahead and bought another element which worked perfect. The first element i bought was obviously faulty.

New element readings.... (correct readings)

Neutral to Live - 62.9 ohms
Earth to Neutral - No Connection
Earth to Live - No Connection