Sign in to follow this  
robyyy1

Too cramped .. no space

Posted (edited)

Just back from what should have been 10 nights in Dorset ( Golden Cap ) well known site , v popular ??? Anyway ... we had booked up in early May and allocated a gravel pitch.. Having boooked up early we thought we would get a decent pitch .. how wrong we were .. the pitch was badly sloping .. we were given the pich that nobody wanted... anyway we threatened to go home .. but £250 cost already paid,   kept us there. Next day a better pitch became vacant and so we moved .. Much better , but short of space ... my Bailey Unicorn and awning took up all of the gravel pitch. ..... A few nights later we had different neighbours , and they insisted on parking their two cars alongside my van about 2 feet away. I politely asked them to move away a little because of the fire risk... surely sites like this must have some rules ... the staff didnt want to know!!!  Anyway after a heated argument we decided to leave and lost £100 in the process ....

Edited by robyyy1

Some on this forum quibble about the club sites (and wardens) being sticklers for their rules but it is to avoid this sort of overcrowding - and improve safety - that the rules exist.  

Private sites can do what they want it appears and I'd guess that they are more expensive?

• Like 1

I thought all sites were bound by fire regulations viz the 6 metre rule?

Think the Natural England ruling applies to CMC & C&CC rallies and sites and anyone else that operates under the Exemption schemes....not private sites....could be wrong ( often am).

geoff 

It sound as though the OP describes a neighbour parking in the road at the front of his pitch. probably tolerated by some people, and the site supervisor doesn't give a monkeys.

Only ever been on a private site twice - the first time I found  my neighbour attaching his guy rope to my tent peg, and told him  to desist - the second time we returned from a day out to find a tent and front end of a car underneath our sun awning, but they refused to move!

Both times I spoke to the owner, and both times I received a shrug and words to the effect “if you don’t like it you know what you can do”.

Since then it’s been Clubsites, CLs or CSs for us - you know exactly what you’ll get there.

John

• Like 1

i work away from home sometimes and take the van ,,i went to a private site in  troon, a little quite  site i thought ,, but i was kept awake till 3 am the caravan next door partying out side,, nightmare,, i prefer to have some sort of rules ,, and i had to get up at 6am,,:(

Funny how private sites often get rated here. Been on two, one was an overnight before an early ferry. Never again, kids playing football on grass next to van and loud music late into the night. We didn't hold back when we left at 5 in the morning!

I know people don't like club sites but as said above you do know what you are going to get.

• Like 1

Private, CMC, CLs, French municipal and 50+EU posh sites, its incredible how they all vary so much.

After visiting, we make notes and we have 'yes we'd love to go back' to 'no never again' sites.

Very disappointing to have paid so much in advance and have to walk away and lose your money!

It's one of the reasons we will not prebook. There are one or two exceptions such as sites that allocate a specific pitch when booking.

I think Geoff is correct re the 6 metre rule and the type of sites it applies to.

On some Italian sites, we are virtually touching our neighbours, but it is what it is and adds to the character of a place. Stuff like that doesnt bother us, but a severely sloping pitch is hardwork to sort out in a motorhome.

Russ

I also had a similar experience to the OP when staying a site, also in Dorset.

It is a privately owned and operated site but due it's affiliation with the Caravan Club (aka CMC) it is claimed by the Club to be a Club site, though in my opinion bore no resemblance to a Club site.

When I commented of being underwhelmed and disappointed by the site some of the site's previous visitors had different views.

Like the experiences of the OP the pitch spacing left a lot to be desired

To be truthful, all campsites are the same, some good, some bad.  Doesn't matter whether CMC/C&CC or private.  Its the wardens/owners who make or break a good campsite.  On most sites I've been on, only one car is allowed on the pitch, any other cars are to be parked in the car park.  On a few sites, no cars are allowed on the pitch, but these are few and far between

16 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

Funny how private sites often get rated here. Been on two, one was an overnight before an early ferry. Never again, kids playing football on grass next to van and loud music late into the night. We didn't hold back when we left at 5 in the morning!

I know people don't like club sites but as said above you do know what you are going to get.

In contrast we've never found a problem with commercial sites - and certainly noticed early and late arrivals on a cc club site, but have used so few I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Site behavior ? ??

I was on a CMC site last week with 6 families with larger German caravans pulled by sign written vans some with IRL plates and they took over the washing machines for 3 days and clothes layed out everywhere over bushes and fences . The day before leaving the women spent all day cleaning the outside of the caravans which included spending hours on the roof scrubbing every inch . The wardens got called out one night to the shower block as all the showers had be turned on in men's and women's block . On their departure day the 12 o'clock departure was about 1.40 pm as they did not know and when the wardens took their passes to make sure they were returned and then the next day the wardens had to clear human waste from the children's play area .

Many other site users was looking at cutting their holidays short but wardens did a good job under the circumstances .

Good and bad on all sites .

Edited by CommanderDave

Similar story staying in Holland at Rekreatum Heumens (I think) near Nijmegen. 10 or 12 Irish travellers pulled in and took over the place. Kids running riot, shouting and swearing all day and night, showers and toilets left in a filthy state and a party going into the small hours. Following morning they were evicted by the owners and local police. The mess they left behind in such a short time including a caravan was incredible. 

On 09/07/2019 at 10:08, DeeTee said:

I also had a similar experience to the OP when staying a site, also in Dorset.

It is a privately owned and operated site but due it's affiliation with the Caravan Club (aka CMC) it is claimed by the Club to be a Club site, though in my opinion bore no resemblance to a Club site.

When I commented of being underwhelmed and disappointed by the site some of the site's previous visitors had different views.

Like the experiences of the OP the pitch spacing left a lot to be desired

We recently stayed at East Fleet Farm and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will probably go back again next year if we stay in the UK for our holidays.  We had a fully serviced pitch.  The only downside was the washing machines which were set to Eco and only washed and rinsed for about 30 minutes.  Next time we will use the laundry down the road.  We prefer commercial sites to CMC or C&CC regimented sites.

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We recently stayed at East Fleet Farm and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will probably go back again next year if we stay in the UK for our holidays.  We had a fully serviced pitch.  The only downside was the washing machines which were set to Eco and only washed and rinsed for about 30 minutes.  Next time we will use the laundry down the road.  We prefer commercial sites to CMC or C&CC regimented sites.

I seem to remember that East Fleet farm was acquired by the Club a couple of years ago and is now fully owned by the CMC?

4 hours ago, Durbanite said:

That's a relief we're there on the 20th of this month on a serviced pitch, good to hear it's okay!

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

I seem to remember that East Fleet farm was acquired by the Club a couple of years ago and is now fully owned by the CMC?

According to the 2019/20 Directory it is an Affiliated site

6 minutes ago, oldboy said:

According to the 2019/20 Directory it is an Affiliated site

I think I may have confused it with Bridport Bingham Grange Club site also in Dorset though some 17 miles away.

27 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

I think I may have confused it with Bridport Bingham Grange Club site also in Dorset though some 17 miles away.

Correct acquired last year.

23 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

That's a relief we're there on the 20th of this month on a serviced pitch, good to hear it's okay!

Very nice.  We were there for two weeks on pitch 65 so got sun nearly all day.  We went for a drink at the pub on site, but found it to be expensive in comparison to nearby pubs plus not much variety.  You can get a good reasonably price meal at the Turk's Head. 

Not too impressed with the fish & chips or the pizza takeaways.  If you go to Bennetts in Weymouth quay who also run the take away on site, the fish & chips is 100% tastier IMHO.

Otherwise a great site.

Well on the basis of rallies this year weve been very happy.marshall had pegged out he corner points nad watched  the arrivals comming in.It got to a point at 1 stage that even the marshall thought the peg where to close together and gave every body more room.

On a separate occasion on a brean commercial site,we had tenters oposite our h/s pitches with over lapping guy ropes,Then came the children thinking they could use our van as goal posts. They soon went away with there tail between there legs.then over comes the mothers. Of which they had a shock too.

Sounds a lot better than a CL we stayed on where the caravans were cramped onto a small site that was probably big enough for only 3 - 4 caravans.

17 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Sounds a lot better than a CL we stayed on where the caravans were cramped onto a small site that was probably big enough for only 3 - 4 caravans.

I find it useful to check the size of a CL in acres, given in handbook and on website - 1/4 ac is simply too small for 5 vans - 1/2 ac is "compact" - I use 3/4 ac as my normal minimum.

By comparison, the Caravan Club gets 16 vans/acre on their club sites - that's why they feel so cramped.