Can anyone tell me, if my battery will still be charging, whilst im connected to an electric hook up

hi can anyone tell me, if my battery will still be charging, whilst im connected to an electric hook up?  also if my caravan is standing on my drive with the electric hook up connected, should the mains switch be on or off in the caravan its a bailey pegasus 524. can anyone tell me if there are anymore fuses anywhere from the charger to the battery apart from the ones in the front of the charger. i have found a big fuse in the battery compartment and that looks good

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to check the voltage before and after you connect the hookup.  don't pay someone, find a friend or another caravaner to help if you don't 'know' electrics.  If the charger is working, the vol

Many caravan inbuilt 'chargers' do not actually charge the battery. They only trickle charge the battery.   Although the caravan charger system is sufficient, the technical disadvantage is i

Even if everything is working correctly the charge rate on the move can be quite low. Add in a couple of poor connections, a smart alternator and/or a fridge and you may get almost nothing. You d

Posted Images

I can't speak for all makes of van but on mine when the mains cable is plugged in and the circuit breaker is switch on, the charger automatically works.

• Thanks 1

Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It would help if you told us what make, model and year of caravan you have. Then anybody who has or has had one can help you.

• Thanks 1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

7 minutes ago, Townie said:

It would help if you told us what make, model and year of caravan you have. Then anybody who has or has had one can help you.

really sorry, its a 2010 bailey pegasus 524.

Many caravan inbuilt 'chargers' do not actually charge the battery. They only trickle charge the battery.

Although the caravan charger system is sufficient, the technical disadvantage is it never fully charges the battery to its full capacity. The charge voltage is cut off prematurely at 13.85 volts. Whichever type of battery you use, the in built charger will give a maximum charge to within 80% of the batteries original capacity. Over a period of time, this can cause sulphation of the plates in leisure batteries, due to under charging. Over charging occurs when the battery remains on charge after it has reached full charge (14.40 volts). Overcharging causes excess heat that can cause the plates within the cells to buckle and shred their active material. The battery will also react to the overcharge by producing excess hydrogen and oxygen as the water within the electrolyte breaks down. The water that is lost due to overcharging can be replaced in a non-sealed battery. In a sealed battery, the water loss is permanent and will drastically shorten battery service life. The illustration below is helpful.

image.png.c841ba47da11d34226bd750527acf62b.png

The C-Tek range of chargers has a good reputation. The MXS 7.0 is the perfect universal 12v.  charger. It is ideal for charging larger batteries such as caravan, motor home, boat and car batteries. These types of vehicles often demand features that can solve a broad range of battery related problems. The MXS 7.0 offers features such as battery diagnosis, which shows whether a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function which restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimised charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). It also has a power supply mode which allows the battery to be disconnected from the vehicle without losing important configurations.

The MXS 7.0 is a fully automatic 8-step charger which delivers 7A to 12V batteries from 14-150Ah. The charger is IP 65 classified (splash and dust proof), designed to protect vehicle electronics, non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. The MXS 7.0 has a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. Anyway, have a look at the range of C-Tek chargers. They vary in cost.

I have a C-Tek that is permanently connected in my caravan and the battery is now nine years old which is the proof of the pudding.

For more info re chargers see HERE under battery

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Many caravan inbuilt 'chargers' do not actually charge the battery. They only trickle charge the battery.

Although the caravan charger system is sufficient, the technical disadvantage is it never fully charges the battery to its full capacity. The charge voltage is cut off prematurely at 13.85 volts. Whichever type of battery you use, the in built charger will give a maximum charge to within 80% of the batteries original capacity. Over a period of time, this can cause sulphation of the plates in leisure batteries, due to under charging. Over charging occurs when the battery remains on charge after it has reached full charge (14.40 volts). Overcharging causes excess heat that can cause the plates within the cells to buckle and shred their active material. The battery will also react to the overcharge by producing excess hydrogen and oxygen as the water within the electrolyte breaks down. The water that is lost due to overcharging can be replaced in a non-sealed battery. In a sealed battery, the water loss is permanent and will drastically shorten battery service life. The illustration below is helpful.

image.png.c841ba47da11d34226bd750527acf62b.png

The C-Tek range of chargers has a good reputation. The MXS 7.0 is the perfect universal 12v.  charger. It is ideal for charging larger batteries such as caravan, motor home, boat and car batteries. These types of vehicles often demand features that can solve a broad range of battery related problems. The MXS 7.0 offers features such as battery diagnosis, which shows whether a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function which restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimised charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima). It also has a power supply mode which allows the battery to be disconnected from the vehicle without losing important configurations.

The MXS 7.0 is a fully automatic 8-step charger which delivers 7A to 12V batteries from 14-150Ah. The charger is IP 65 classified (splash and dust proof), designed to protect vehicle electronics, non-sparking, reverse polarity protected and short-circuit proof. The MXS 7.0 has a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. Anyway, have a look at the range of C-Tek chargers. They vary in cost.

I have one that is permantly connected in my caravan and when on EHU.

you really know what your talking about, thanks, This is a new battery that i bought in October last year it was a 110T  100amp low box leisure battery  (well thats what is says on the receipt lol) however i had my van out at Cumbria and drove back to teesside which is about 150 miles, and there wasn't enough charge in the battery to make my motor mover work, Once i charge the battery the mover worked so i thought the battery may not be charging.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dobo said:

really sorry, its a 2010 bailey pegasus 524.

It should charge when on EHU and should also charge up when you are towing.

• Like 1

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter

1 hour ago, dobo said:

This is a new battery that i bought in October last year it was a 110T  100amp low box leisure battery  (well thats what is says on the receipt lol) however i had my van out at Cumbria and drove back to teesside which is about 150 miles, and there wasn't enough charge in the battery to make my motor mover work, Once i charge the battery the mover worked so i thought the battery may not be charging.

Even if everything is working correctly the charge rate on the move can be quite low. Add in a couple of poor connections, a smart alternator and/or a fridge and you may get almost nothing.

You do need though, to establish why it was flat to start with.

Batteries are usually sold (theoretically) fully charged but do self discharge over time, and if it was stored at home without charging that could account for it.

• Thanks 2

I agree that CTek chargers are excellent. However, I see no need to trickle charge the caravan battery. My batteries last around 7 years on average (bought the third one for our 2005 van last year) and when not in use the van sits in storage for months on end. In fact I accidentally totally flattened the previous one by leaving the master switch on for several weeks and it was as right as rain after a full charge and lasted at least another 2 years.

Apart from a single charge (off the caravan) every spring before taking the van for its service, EHU and the charging system from the car seem to keep it well up.

Edited by iansoady
  • Thanks 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

30 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

As stated above, unless the inbuilt charger is a smart charger it will NOT charge the battery

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, iansoady said:

I agree that CTek chargers are excellent. However, I see no need to trickle charge the caravan battery. My batteries last around 7 years on average (bought the third one for our 2005 van last year) and when not in use the van sits in storage for months on end. In fact I accidentally totally flattened the previous one by leaving the master switch on for several weeks and it was as right as rain after a full charge and lasted at least another 2 years.

Apart from a single charge (off the caravan) every spring before taking the van for its service, EHU and the charging system from the car seem to keep it well up.

thanks ian, after charging the battery before i go away, the battery always seems to be flat even after its been on site and hooked up to electric point. i took the battery back to the shop i bought it from, and after quite a while arguing that the battery is loosing its charge they blamed it on the fridge been on, then the alarm been on, then the motor mover draining the power out of it ( it goes flat after 25 feet of movement) then the man in the shop says that the battery i bought may only be suitable for motor home not caravan, why did they sell me it then! i am really annoyed as im now going to have to get the electric checked out at £45 per hour 

54 minutes ago, SteveMilner said:

thanks steve

16 minutes ago, dobo said:

thanks ian, after charging the battery before i go away, the battery always seems to be flat even after its been on site and hooked up to electric point. i took the battery back to the shop i bought it from, and after quite a while arguing that the battery is loosing its charge they blamed it on the fridge been on, then the alarm been on, then the motor mover draining the power out of it ( it goes flat after 25 feet of movement) then the man in the shop says that the battery i bought may only be suitable for motor home not caravan, why did they sell me it then! i am really annoyed as im now going to have to get the electric checked out at £45 per hour 

Unfortunately the best way of sorting this type of problem is a few minutes with a test meter.

My sequence would be based on battery output voltage.

1. Voltage disconnected; anything below 12.3v is not charged enough or is dying.

2. Voltage connected to caravan; if significantly below 1. above, there is a significant drain.

3. Voltage immediately after using mover until it grinds to a halt in 25 yards and switched off; if below 12v the battery is flat and/or dying, if still above 12.3v the electricity is not getting to the mover, potentially poor connections.

Edited by Stevan

Not sure how close the wiring is on your 2010 bailey pegasus 524 to my 2012 Pegasus Genoa; If similar there is an inline fuse between the battery feed and the PSU, my inline fuse was a spade fuse taped to the harness, if you follow the harness from the PSU to the battery you may find a fuse, mine had blow.

Also when on hook-up the PSU charges the battery, it makes no difference if the main switch is on or off, as long as the hook-up is powered and plugged in your battery should be charging.  We leave ours plugged in when standing at home (caravan panel mains switched off) Battery is always fully charged. Also when towing (main switch on or off) the battery is being charged.

On newer towing vehicles with CAN BUS systems for euro 5 - 6 emissions; they now have smart alternators which have their output voltage controlled externally via the Engine Control Unit (ECU) rather than by an internal voltage regulator as found on traditional alternators. So the alternator output is restricted in certain conditions and it only looks at the cars battery condition, so charging the van battery is not as effective as the earlier set-ups that use a  conventional alternator system and voltage sensitive relay to switch on or off the charging circuit for the caravan battery. 

If you have the smart alternator system as above your caravan battery will still be charged when towing; just not as well. There is a system that can be fitted to overcome this, as a battery-to-battery charger for auxiliary battery charging (if you think you need it)

• Thanks 1

You need to check the voltage before and after you connect the hookup.  don't pay someone, find a friend or another caravaner to help if you don't 'know' electrics.  If the charger is working, the voltage will rise when you connect the mains hookup.  you can measure this with a cheap mutimeter directly on the battery terminals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

Dobo,

Has your PSU got a specific switch for charging?

Mine has a 'Charger' switch - the green one in this picture - if it's not pressed in with a green light glowing then the battery won't get any charge (as I found out last week when my interior lights packed up after 5 days because the service engineer had left it in the 'off' position!). So don't assume the charger works automatically once the main switch is on.

1153505179_SergentEC400PSU.jpg.f45358ab7a6833cd496307df3062e66a.jpg

Good luck, John.

Edited by Johnaldo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

Dobo,

Has your PSU got a specific switch for charging?

Mine has a 'Charger' switch - the green one in this picture - if it's not pressed in with a green light glowing then the battery won't get any charge (as I found out last week when my interior lights packed up after 5 days because the service engineer had left it in the 'off' position!). So don't assume the charger works automatically once the main switch is on.

1153505179_SergentEC400PSU.jpg.f45358ab7a6833cd496307df3062e66a.jpg

Good luck, John.

thanks john mine is similar charger and fuse box  is there more than two fuses? i have one in the front of the box as shown and a massive one in the battery compartment? i dont know what a PSU is, is it this box i have posted?

DSCN0028.JPG

Edited by dobo
extra info

I've had folding campers and caravans, and all batteries have recharged automatically.  Just make sure you have switched everything on

• Thanks 1

there's lots of info on this forum but the only way to properly check is to get yourself a multimeter. One like this is £10 from Screwfix and will help you fault find most problems https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337?kpid=75337

Set it to the 20v volts range and connect the probes across the battery Red tp positive and black to negative.

With nothing connected and nothing switched on it should read around 12.6 to12.7 volts. If its less then the battery needs charging.

Now plug the van into the mains and switch on the main circuit breaker - the voltage should increase to around 13.8, this will indicate that the van PSU is working.

You can also check whether the car charges the battery by disconnecting the mains and connecting the car. Start the engine and run it at a fast idle, the voltage should increase to somewhere between 13.8 and 14.4 volts, possibly less if you then switch the fridge on.

• Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

22 minutes ago, dobo said:

thanks john mine is similar charger and fuse box  is there more than two fuses? i have one in the front of the box as shown and a massive one in the battery compartment? i dont know what a PSU is, is it this box i have posted?

DSCN0028.JPG

That's the same unit as our Pegasus, the PSU is mounted in the back of that unit, follow the wiring harness from this unit back to your battery box  and check for an inline fuse that may be taped to the harness. That was the fuse that had blown on ours which gave the  same issue (as per my post above)

• Thanks 1

Our caravan is a 2011 Elddis and has a fusebox like the Bailey one pictured. In the doorway is the 12 volt panel with a master switch, light switch, pump switch but also a volt meter. If the Bailey has this meter you can tell the battery voltage without needing to use a separate meter. If the battery is charging when the ehu is connected, the voltage shown will rise from around 12 volts to maybe 13 or 14 volts  so gives a quick indication of charging.

• Thanks 1

I use one of these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008KY5ULW/ref=psdc_1938319031_t1_B00PGOU8UM      for checking the battery voltage. The wires are short but easily extended, mine was checked for accuracy by a neighbour ( electrician with a calibrated meter) and reads the same as his. It did take 3 weeks to arrive but is well worth the price (93p with delivery included) :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

59 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Our caravan is a 2011 Elddis and has a fusebox like the Bailey one pictured. In the doorway is the 12 volt panel with a master switch, light switch, pump switch but also a volt meter. If the Bailey has this meter you can tell the battery voltage without needing to use a separate meter. If the battery is charging when the ehu is connected, the voltage shown will rise from around 12 volts to maybe 13 or 14 volts  so gives a quick indication of charging.

The voltmeter fitted to our Bailey is wildly inaccurate and only shows a bare 12 volts with a fully charged battery, rising to about 12.5 when on EHU.

If you have basic electrical knowledge a multimeter as mentioned is invaluable. It can however mislead as when our supply to the water pump failed (a connector behind the switch panel had dropped off) but there was enough "ghost" voltage getting through the LED to show up at the pressure switch. Took a while to track down.....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

On the bailey unit pictured, the charger sits on a shelf inside that unit.

The mains connection is via a kettle type IEC plug.

They sometimes work loose.

It is probably worth taking the cover off the unit and making sure that it is actually plugged in.

• Like 1

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

4 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

I've had folding campers and caravans, and all batteries have recharged automatically.  Just make sure you have switched everything on

thanks babs

everything is switched on to the best of my knowledge. this battery is not re charging automatically so  from what read from the bloggers i think it may be the battery charger going to get it checked out. the other thing is i may have bought a motor home battery as opposed to a caravan battery. Although the amp age is 110  this should be enough for thecaravan

4 hours ago, matelodave said:

there's lots of info on this forum but the only way to properly check is to get yourself a multimeter. One like this is £10 from Screwfix and will help you fault find most problems https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337?kpid=75337

Set it to the 20v volts range and connect the probes across the battery Red tp positive and black to negative.

With nothing connected and nothing switched on it should read around 12.6 to12.7 volts. If its less then the battery needs charging.

Now plug the van into the mains and switch on the main circuit breaker - the voltage should increase to around 13.8, this will indicate that the van PSU is working.

You can also check whether the car charges the battery by disconnecting the mains and connecting the car. Start the engine and run it at a fast idle, the voltage should increase to somewhere between 13.8 and 14.4 volts, possibly less if you then switch the fridge on.

Great advice mateoflovedave

Thanks. I don’t know how to use a multimeter; i will certainly try this given your advice on how to use the multimeter. I have charged the battery and had a reading done by a mate which said 13.4. I personally think the charger in the caravan is not charging. i think the advice i have been given on this page is brilliant) i really appreciate the input of everyone