Sign in to follow this  
Stroller133

2004 Bailey Ranger Window cracked and Damp - need van in 12 days!

We are due to go away next Saturday (20th) so I went to collect the Caravan Saturday  and bring it home to clean and check it over. Found large cracks on both inner and outer layers of the large front single screen.  It also seems the wallboard at the top of the window is damp. 

I’m not sure what we can do? I don’t think it’s even worth asking any workshops if they can do it before the 20th July and heavily suspect the cost could escalate towards £2000+. 

I think I have 3 options:

1. Make alternative arrangements - difficult at this late stage! 

2. Use a suitable bonding agent and try and glue the screen back together and try and take it as it is and repair damp issues later

3. Take next week off work and strip the wallboard and attempt to change window frame and wallboard - nice idea, but have doubts over whether I have the skills to do it.

I'm not sure if the crack and damp are related. If the weakened frame caused the crack, or whether last weeks sudden heatwave caused the crack. 

82264009-C024-4A97-99D5-1703E49C01D7.jpeg

Providing the window “glass” is stable and not likely to fall apart I would be inclined to leave well alone until after your holiday.

The other option, if it’s insecure, is to glue the window back together and enjoy your trip.  Super glue is excellent for these windows (personal experience!) 

Andy

Try a caravan breaker for the window and you may get lucky?

3 minutes ago, carabiker said:

Short of locating a replacement window, probably the best and strongest option as the window is scrap anyway.

Sort the damp out as a seperate issue later but perhaps get quotes in readiness for permanent repair after your holiday.

Posted (edited)

Try visiting a car windscreen replacement company, they have several products for temporary repairs to car side windows which could work.

I believe that one is called "crash wrap" and is like a super high strength  clear sticky backed plastic.  Autoglass used it on the rear quarterlight of my car a few years ago and it held all the tiny pieces in place for a couple of weeks while waiting for a replacement.

You can sort a proper repair when you get back! 

Or you can just search for "crash wrap" on the likes of bay. Costs more than Fablon, but much better.

Edited by Stevan

Thanks for all the quick replies. I’m coming around to the idea of securing the window and leaving it until after our time away.

My only reservation is we are not really enthusiastic caravanners

and only use it for this one annual event.   There is a risk that once we have used it this month it will go back to the (open air) storage and then become out of sight out of mind until next summer and it will probably be scrap by then! 

I scrounged ( yes me) a piece of clear greenhouse glass repair tape from a garden centre which held for best part of a year.

geoff

I have sourced a window, at a cost! Is it worth changing window before I go away? Or could the damp have caused the crack. 

Well I would change it (what’s the point of having it otherwise?) 

Personally I cannot see any way damp could cause such a crack, especially in both panes. As both start in the centre of the window at the bottom I DO wonder if “someone” has tried to force the window open by pulling the bottom edge out? But I would expect the catches to have failed long before the window acrylic did! 

Andy 

5 hours ago, Stroller133 said:

I have sourced a window, at a cost! Is it worth changing window before I go away? Or could the damp have caused the crack. 

More likely that they  either have a common cause or are separate issues!

Check carefully for damage along or near to the hinge at the top of the window, particularly close to the crack.

Update: I may have been misleading in my last post - I hadn’t bought the window, just found where I could buy one! 

A week before we went away I removed the window  with a view to trying somehow to repair it, but there was a lot of distortion and it was not possible to push the broken parts together on either the inner or outer layers. We then tried to refit, but actually broke the window into 2 separate parts! 

We did go away with the 2 parts

back in place and sort of sealed with silicone (see pic).

We got there and back and kept dry, but the off-side widow frame wood is complete rotten and

the top section is on its way too, the wall board above the window mostly fell out from behind

the seal, so a fair bit of work is required. Taking it for an assessment later this week

- I realise the quote will be high, probably at least £1000 for parts (£800 for window alone). If it’s 2k ish we will get it done, but much more will need some thought as £3k would be a lot towards a new dry van! 

27288F8D-6275-44A2-987A-E03EF33C1791.jpeg

I have posted many times about damp, but it's the equivalent of Death Watch beetle for caravans. I doubt that the rest of the van is dry, so a careful assessment is essential. The repair work is expensive and I'd be very inclined to start thinking about replacement. Sorry.

By all means get a quote, but brace yourself!

Posted (edited)

I’m booked in for a quote at a local workshop on Friday.  Based on my description he has warned me it will be at least £1500 based on my description.  

These vans appear to be selling for £3500- £5000 still. We are not in a position to spend any more to get a newer or better caravan. We bought this one for just over £5k four ago and it’s seem this budget buys less now than it did then ie £5k won’t get a 2008 model now. 

Edited by Stroller133

6 minutes ago, Stroller133 said:

I’m booked in for a quote at a local workshop on Friday.  Based on my description he has warned me it will be at least £1500 based on my description.  

Sounds very reasonable.

£4-5k! It will be sad to see it go! 

Having D-I-Yed a much bigger job than yours(3 front windows +sealed side window Ellis’s Typhoon)if you have time but little cash it is d-I-y able.

You will find the wooden frame round the window is rotten and needs replaced.

As others have stated unfortunately there will be damp elsewhere eg the water must have got in at a point higher than the top of the window so a seal is leaking above that level-roof perhaps?

The repair materials are relatively cheap but time is demanding took me two weeks to replace all 4 windows-repairs lasted till I sold it 4 years later.

I had a Ranger same as yours had two front windows replaced under warranty, due to the size of the window they bow in as you are towing until the both sections of the glazing virtually touch together.

Before you make any repairs I would thoroughly check the top of the ABS front panel, as I had two of these replaced under warranty as well during my 4 year ownership, due to cracks on the top of the panel around the fixings, these were temporary sealed with silicone for a trip to France until the panel was replaced.

The first panel was replaced after the first year service and damp repairs made as damage had been caused to the timber around the window

Good luck hope you get sorted.

Make sure your replacement caravan is not ABS front and back GRP is a must in elderly 2nd hand buys.

New to based on tales of woe on this forum.

I don’t think we will be replacing it. We only use it for one 5 night event each year. Will probably just hire one or a motorhome instead, to avoid storage costs, insurance & servicing. 

14 hours ago, Stroller133 said:

I don’t think we will be replacing it. We only use it for one 5 night event each year. Will probably just hire one or a motorhome instead, to avoid storage costs, insurance & servicing. 

Our annual costs are

storage £320 insurance £280 servicing £250-£450