Paul90125

Public weighbridge

Does anyone know the location of a public weighbridge in Lancashire?  The LA don’t publish any information on their web-site. I haven’t been able to find one by googling. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

We're based in Scotland, so it may be slightly different; but I thought that weighbridges fall under Trading Standards or Environmental Health remit. Have you looked at that section of the Website?

Steve

Update: Just searched Blackpool Council website and no information appears! Bizarre. Again, working on the set up where we are, there are several public weighbridges operated by Scrap Metal Dealers; might be worth a web search or a couple of phone calls.

Edited by marchie1053
More info.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Paul90125 said:

Does anyone know the location of a public weighbridge in Lancashire?  The LA don’t publish any information on their web-site. I haven’t been able to find one by googling. Thanks.

Enter your postcode into this Govt. Website to search. It should take you to the relevant local authority website for your area that regulates public weigh bridges. When you've picked one ring ahead just to make sure it's still available.

https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

Edited by Legal Eagle

10 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Enter your postcode into this Govt. Website to search. It should take you to the relevant local authority website for your area that regulates public weigh bridges. When you've picked one ring ahead just to make sure it's still available.

https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

I tried that using Blackpool as an example. No results found!

Steve

37 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I tried that using Blackpool as an example. No results found!

Steve

Only valid postcodes were accepted when I used find-weighbridge

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

Only valid postcodes were accepted when I used find-weighbridge

I used the Postcode for Blackpool Tower! Took me to Blackpool Council website but no link to weighbridge or public weighbridge;I also waded through the alphabetical topics to see if it was listed under alternative terminology ['Consumer Mass Calculation Assistance for Towed Vehicles, Commercial [Trading Standards]  or Leisure [See Leisure Services Directorate] or similar executive titles, but no joy.

Steve

Edited by marchie1053
Extra text

2 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

I used the Postcode for Blackpool Tower!

Steve

The example you gave was "Blackpool" though you did not mention a postcode.

Blackpool council may not have have a trading standards department.

56 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

The example you gave was "Blackpool" though you did not mention a postcode.

Blackpool council may not have have a trading standards department.

The OP didn't give anything more specific than 'Lancashire', but, instead of a points scoring exercise, I tried to find an answer. The Government website says 'enter a postcode' so I think it's a safe assumption that this what you have to do if you want a positive response.

Whether Blackpool Council has a Trading Standards Department or not is hardly relevant. I DID mention that I had looked under 'weighbridge' and 'public weighbridge' and then trawled through the A to Z listing, hoping to find a label that was not obvious.

Steve

most council don't bother publish a list of weighbridge unless it is run by their trading standard. 

I’m glad you guys had no more joy than me. I’d already done all the things you suggested/did. Fortunately both Bolton and Cumbria local authority publish details of their weighbridge locations so I guess i’m just going to have to go for a drive. Conclusion - LCC are rubbish!

I found a farmer just 2 miles up the road had a public weighbridge. £5 a time. Found it on the County Council website.

19 hours ago, Paul90125 said:

Phone the police road  traffic department or DVSA as they should know the location of weighbridges in their area.

Alternatively, try scrap metal merchants as their weighbridges will be certified..

Most councils have a weigh bridge and most large builders/quarries will let you use their facility for a fee - probably a fiver.  Large scrap metal recycling places also worth a try.

Russ

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, beejay said:

Alternatively, try scrap metal merchants as their weighbridges will be certified..

.... and have a fair risk of a puncture due to the debris usually lying around.

Edited by thebriars
  • Haha 1

On 07/07/2019 at 16:15, Paul90125 said:

hi sent you a pm,,

On 08/07/2019 at 12:23, KontikiKid said:

Most councils have a weigh bridge and most large builders/quarries will let you use their facility for a fee - probably a fiver.  Large scrap metal recycling places also worth a try.

Russ

Most 'councils' have abandoned their weighbridge facilities owing to the cost.

5 hours ago, beejay said:

Most 'councils' have abandoned their weighbridge facilities owing to the cost.

They also appear to have abandoned listing the weighbridges... at least in Essex