Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

Be Warned !!

End of May, we went through the Tunnel stayed at Blangy sur Bresle for one night, following day onwards to Salbris  via Rouen for second stop, i wont bore you with any other details as it was not a great holiday that we had to cut it short by ten days. On returning home there was a letter with a French post mark, opened it at found it was a speeding fine of 45 Euro, quite proud really being booked for speeding towing a van !!

I am signalling this up to fellow posters as I was caught approaching the Tunnel at Rouen where there is a 70 km/h limit, I was doing 74 km/h, the leeway according to the paperwork is 1 km/h,so I was fined for doing 3 km/h equivalent to 1.86 Mph. A few days after returning home there was an article in the press saying that certain French departments have requested details of drivers from the DVLA as post Brexit they would have difficulty getting this information, you have been warned.

When travelling late August on the same route I will be switching my speedo over to km/h, which I should have done this time, so a lesson well learnt

• Thanks 1

Is it a new camera or already on the satnav?

17 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

End of May, we went through the Tunnel stayed at Blangy sur Bresle for one night, following day onwards to Salbris  via Rouen for second stop, i wont bore you with any other details as it was not a great holiday that we had to cut it short by ten days. On returning home there was a letter with a French post mark, opened it at found it was a speeding fine of 45 Euro, quite proud really being booked for speeding towing a van !!

I am signalling this up to fellow posters as I was caught approaching the Tunnel at Rouen where there is a 70 km/h limit, I was doing 74 km/h, the leeway according to the paperwork is 1 km/h,so I was fined for doing 3 km/h equivalent to 1.86 Mph. A few days after returning home there was an article in the press saying that certain French departments have requested details of drivers from the DVLA as post Brexit they would have difficulty getting this information, you have been warned.

When travelling late August on the same route I will be switching my speedo over to km/h, which I should have done this time, so a lesson well learnt

There is a thread on this topic on the C&CC Forum. 1 member claims to have been 'clocked' 4 times during the holiday! This trip for us is the first time we haven't asked our elderly neighbour to forward our mail to us in France; it's being held by Royal Mail [about £75 for 3 months], so I hope that I don't have nasty surprises waiting for me in a couple of weeks!

Given the [lack of] speed that I drive at, I'm more likely to be done for 'loitering with intent' [famous last words?].

There's lots of Brexit paranoia on the C&CC Thread [punishing Brits to make up for no EU Budget payment etc] but our neighbour warned us that the Police in the Vendee are being much more vigilant in respect of both speeding fines and those for alcohol/substance abuse when driving. So, it appears that everyone's fair game!

Steve

28 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

I am signalling this up to fellow posters as I was caught approaching the Tunnel at Rouen where there is a 70 km/h limit, I was doing 74 km/h, the leeway according to the paperwork is 1 km/h,so I was fined for doing 3 km/h equivalent to 1.86 Mph.

They knock 5% off your recorded speed, so if they say you were doing 74 km/h, you were in fact doing 78 km/h.

image.thumb.png.d36475e78478929563c88e7e1ead75d9.png

31 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

A few days after returning home there was an article in the press saying that certain French departments have requested details of drivers from the DVLA as post Brexit they would have difficulty getting this information, you have been warned.

Brexit will make no difference, the DVLA will sell your information to anyone who has a reasonable reason for requesting it and £2.50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

It's a fixed camera approaching the Tunnel, don't know about Sat Nav

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

They knock 5% off your recorded speed, so if they say you were doing 74 km/h, you were in fact doing 78 km/h.

Brexit will make no difference, the DVLA will sell your information to anyone who has a reasonable reason for requesting it and £2.50.

On the paperwork they say I was doing 74 km/h, I am not blind, yet !!

1 hour ago, Lost in France said:

Can't  believe the Daily mail either !!

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

It's been there for years.

4 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

On the paperwork they say I was doing 74 km/h, I am not blind, yet !!

You didn't make it clear if the paperwork said 74 or you thought you were doing 74.

As it was the paperwork, you were doing 78 km/h.

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

French fixed camera speeding tickets are processed through a  centre at Rennes and individual departements have no involvement. The French appear to be increasing their attempts to recover penalties from foreign drivers.

Your Violation Notice will state the 'checked speed' and the 'speed used' so if the latter was 74 km/h your checked speed was 79 km/h as there is a margin of tolerance of 5 km/h in limits is up to 100 km/h and 5% if above 100 km/h..

If you don't use a speed camera app then use a speedometer app in km/h rather than relying on the vehicle speedo km/h markings.

When I got home a week last Saturday I had a letter with a French post mark. Initial thoughts were nice of one of the campsites to send me a letter thanking me for staying. No. it was a speeding ticket between Buzancais and Chateaureux on the way to Beynac.   55 in a 50.    Anyway paid it and dreading the post for the next couple of days in case I got one on the return trip.

At least it is less of a fine than the UK fine. paid it now so have to put it down to experience.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AndersG said:

Have I missed something, isn't it illegal to have any device in a car that points out speed camera locations or picks up hand held speed guns, in France? 

Edited by David P

6 minutes ago, David P said:

Have I missed something, isn't it illegal to have any device in a car that points out speed camera locations or picks up hand held speed guns, in France? 

Yes; but some SatNavs list them as 'Potential Obstruction Warnings' or similar!

Steve

do you get points as well or just a fine?

Just a fine

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

do you get points as well or just a fine?

The French system is exactly the opposite to the U.K.

You start off with 12 “merit” points on your licence and if you are convicted of an offence points are removed from your licence. When you get to zero you are a pedestrian! 

There is NO reciprocal arrangement for adding or removing penalty points across the EU. 

Andy

What is the discussion about? Anyone breaking the speed limit risks getting a fine. Finish.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WispMan said:

What is the discussion about? Anyone breaking the speed limit risks getting a fine. Finish.

That took longer than I expected. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David P said:

TomTom has danger zones. Must be a coincidence that there is always a speed camera in the danger zone :)

7 minutes ago, AndersG said:

TomTom has danger zones. Must be a coincidence that there is always a speed camera in the danger zone :)

I thought speed safety cameras were only installed in danger areas ;-)

I did find it strange that camera locations are exact with a count-down on my French bought Renault.

7 hours ago, beejay said:

French fixed camera speeding tickets are processed through a  centre at Rennes and individual departements have no involvement. The French appear to be increasing their attempts to recover penalties from foreign drivers.

Your Violation Notice will state the 'checked speed' and the 'speed used' so if the latter was 74 km/h your checked speed was 79 km/h as there is a margin of tolerance of 5 km/h in limits is up to 100 km/h and 5% if above 100 km/h..

If you don't use a speed camera app then use a speedometer app in km/h rather than relying on the vehicle speedo km/h markings.

The figures I quoyed were the figures on the paperwork received from France, I nly posted this thread to help other members, so as I am being questioned over the numbers, I am in the future not going to help anyone, and hope that you too have a  speeding fine when you get home from your holiday in France, i dont know why I bothered to help. end of

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

The figures I quoyed were the figures on the paperwork received from France, I nly posted this thread to help other members, so as I am being questioned over the numbers, I am in the future not going to help anyone, and hope that you too have a  speeding fine when you get home from your holiday in France, i dont know why I bothered to help. end of

You know what it said on the paperwork, the other guy doesn't.  There's no need to throw your toys out of the pram, just take a breath and get on with it.

Please keep posting when you think it will help others.  I'm not going to question what it said on the paperwork you received.

I think he is more trying to clarify rather than questioning your figures Les.

You just keep posting along with everyone else anything that's of help to other 'vanners.:)

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

The French system is exactly the opposite to the U.K.

You start off with 12 “merit” points on your licence and if you are convicted of an offence points are removed from your licence. When you get to zero you are a pedestrian! 

There is NO reciprocal arrangement for adding or removing penalty points across the EU. 

Andy

Not for thousands ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Dave