chris76

weight help please

38 minutes ago, BFM said:

Because someone will pay for it?

Yes, 50kg just about offsets the weight of a 4WD mover so worth it for those wanting to stay on the right side of the law.

After all that i missed the scrapyard he wasnt open when left home. we left early and are on route to dover

I did try weighing the noseweight with bathroom scales it said 137kg then the milenco was about 140kg so confident i can use the milenco in the futire with accuracy. However it was on my drive and the van wasnt level so its likely to be correct anyhow

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Yes, 50kg just about offsets the weight of a 4WD mover so worth it for those wanting to stay on the right side of the law.

If you're sailing that close to the wind I'd say you've got yourself the wrong caravan.

23 hours ago, Stevan said:

Yes, but the insurers washing their hands of the comprehensive element would be quite a blow in the event of an accident, and I understand that they can, after any such accident, terminate the cover leaving you to seek alternative cover.

So if you are speeding, have low tread on a tyre, broken lamp etc your insurance is no longer comprehensive?

21 hours ago, Lutz said:

If you're sailing that close to the wind I'd say you've got yourself the wrong caravan.

So in the case of me wanting a UK twin axle that has a

MTPLM of 1950kg but the availability of a 50kg upgrade to take it to 2000kg what would you suggest I do?

All other UK manufactured  twin axles, with the exception of Vanmaster starting at circa £65k, offer similar payloads and MTPLM's.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Griff said:

So in the case of me wanting a UK twin axle that has a

MTPLM of 1950kg but the availability of a 50kg upgrade to take it to 2000kg what would you suggest I do?

All other UK manufactured  twin axles, with the exception of Vanmaster starting at circa £65k, offer similar payloads and MTPLM's.

It all depends on what the payload margin is at 1950kg. If it's not sufficient I'd look for a caravan with a lower MIRO but the same MTPLM. Upgrading by only 50kg is hardly enough to cover differences in the accuracy of measurement or, at some later stage, the need to carry something extra in the caravan that was not included in the original planning. Even when everything is accounted for that one could conceivably want to carry on board the caravan there should still be a reasonable safety margin. If it doesn't fulfil that requirement, as far as I'm concerned, for me it's not fit for the purpose. If there's nothing from a UK manufacturer that satisfies my need I'd turn to looking at Continental offerings or seriously think about swapping caravan for a motorhome. On the other hand, if I've set my heart on a particular UK caravan and money is no object, I'd consider having the axles replaced by heavier duty ones.

Edited by Lutz

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:03, Durbanite said:

So if you are speeding, have low tread on a tyre, broken lamp etc your insurance is no longer comprehensive?

Most of the policies I have read contain a clause requiring the vehicle be  in roadworthy condition, quite how rigorously they take it I do not know.

33 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Most of the policies I have read contain a clause requiring the vehicle be  in roadworthy condition, quite how rigorously they take it I do not know.

I would guess that the vehicle should have a valid Mot Certificate and without advisories that are not pending failure !!

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

I would guess that the vehicle should have a valid Mot Certificate and without advisories that are not pending failure !!

I've never heard of a requirement to have no advisories.

• +1 1