chris76

weight help please

Hi Chris.  From my personal experience the declared Miro is questionable and always has been.

I have advocated for several years that the only really accurate way to establish the weight of car & or van is by using a DYNAMIC  AXLE Weighbridge which is  actually a beam set in a perfectly level concrete base;this will give a range of options including weighing just the tow vehicle,just the caravan and also the whole outfit.

The results are visible on a large digital screen and then transmitted over to an office when a certificate is produced.

Axle Weighing – Dynamic Axle Weighbridge - Axtec

www.axtec.co.uk/dynamic.html

The Axtec dynamic axle weighbridge is the most accurate in the world. In transport and distribution, it maximises payload whilst avoiding axle or gross overloads.

One has firstly got to establish exactly what is included in the Miro  and anything thereafter is PAYLOAD.

The setting-up of your outfit can really only be done correctly on perfectly FLAT & Level ground.

These are used by VOSA for law enforcement.

If the vehicle is weighed first and then again with the caravan attached the difference in the weigh imposed on the rear axle will become immediately apparent.

I was fortunate in so much as I lived 22 miles from Runcorn were the manufacture,installer and service engineers were based and they have one on site for for use by the trade and the public for a very modest fee complete with a certificate.

Investing in a reliable NOSE WEIGHT gauge (MILENCO) is very highly recommended but again the exercise must be carried out on level and flat ground with the caravan parking brake applied.

22 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Gas is 10 kg in Miro as there is one cylinder outlet .

Dave

The Buccaneer comes standard with two outlets for two bottles which is why I stated 20kg gas bottles.  It must be remembered that over time the bottle gets empty therefore lighter.  :)

think its going to be easier if i just load up sensibly and then go tot a weighbridge,iv got a scrap metal dealer close by to me.

ill weigh it with both van and car and then car on its own.

the noseweight i can play about with myself before we leave, i have a milenco although not convinced on the accuracy of it and ill also try a piece of wood and bathroom scales. Iv also got a alko noseweight jockey wheel, which hasnt been calibrated, but i guess once im satisfied with the weight on the bathroom scales i can move the jockey wheel marker to suit.

the amarok has a noseweight of 120kg does that mean ideally i need to set the caravan for around 115kg?

im also struggling to work out why payload on the amarok is too theres conflicting info on google, some sites say 1000kg but then i read elsewhere that its 750kg on the highline.  And then is that total with all occupants or in addition.

on the door it has stamped

3170kg   -    im guessing thats the car weight

5950kg

1-1425kg

2-1860kg

Should i even be worried because even at  750kg it seems a hell of a lot?

Thanks for all your help guys,its much apprecaited:D

Edited by chris76

22 hours ago, chris76 said:

think its going to be easier if i just load up sensibly and then go tot a weighbridge,iv got a scrap metal dealer close by to me.

ill weigh it with both van and car and then car on its own.

the noseweight i can play about with myself before we leave, i have a milenco although not convinced on the accuracy of it and ill also try a piece of wood and bathroom scales. Iv also got a alko noseweight jockey wheel, which hasnt been calibrated, but i guess once im satisfied with the weight on the bathroom scales i can move the jockey wheel marker to suit.

the amarok has a noseweight of 120kg does that mean ideally i need to set the caravan for around 115kg?

im also struggling to work out why payload on the amarok is too theres conflicting info on google, some sites say 1000kg but then i read elsewhere that its 750kg on the highline.  And then is that total with all occupants or in addition.

on the door it has stamped

3170kg   -    im guessing thats the car weight

5950kg

1-1425kg

2-1860kg

Should i even be worried because even at  750kg it seems a hell of a lot?

Thanks for all your help guys,its much apprecaited:D

I think that the 3170kg is the maximum gross weight of the vehicle.  What does it say on the V5 for maximum towing weight?

Chris, the car plate reads:

3170kg Gross Vehicle Weight i.e the maximum it can weigh without be illegal.

5950kg Gross Train Weight i.e the maximum the car plus any trailer can weigh. 

The other two figures are the maximum weights allowed on the front and rear axle

The difference between GVW and GTW is 2780kg which might be the maximum it can tow. I say 'might be' because the manufacturer might have chosen to allocate a Towing Limit that's greater than 2780kg. If the Towing Limit is greater and you tow such a weight, then you have to reduce the GVW to make allowances, as the GTW should never be exceeded or you'll be towing illegally. 

As to the car's payload, that can vary. Kerbweights etc for cars as they leave the factory are notoriously innaccurate as they can vary depending on options fitted and manufacturing tolerances. They are sample weights, not weights of individual cars. Therefore because the base weight of a car can vary, but its GVW is fixed, it follows that the available payload cannot be a fixed figure, until the individual car is weighed in a known state that's used as a base figure as you add load. The same's also true for a caravan.

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Chris, the car plate reads:

3170kg Gross Vehicle Weight i.e the maximum it can weigh without be illegal.

5950kg Gross Train Weight i.e the maximum the car plus any trailer can weigh. 

The other two figures are the maximum weights allowed on the front and rear axle

The difference between GVW and GTW is 2780kg which might be the maximum it can tow. I say 'might be' because the manufacturer might have chosen to allocate a Towing Limit that's greater than 2780kg. If the Towing Limit is greater and you tow such a weight, then you have to reduce the GVW to make allowances, as the GTW should never be exceeded or you'll be towing illegally. 

As to the car's payload, that can vary. Kerbweights etc for cars as they leave the factory are notoriously innaccurate as they can vary depending on options fitted and manufacturing tolerances. They are sample weights, not weights of individual cars. Therefore because the base weight of a car can vary, but its GVW is fixed, it follows that the available payload cannot be a fixed figure, until the individual car is weighed in a known state that's used as a base figure as you add load. The same's also true for a caravan.

thanks for that, it’s all a mine field

really but as others have said I’m going to go on a  weigh bridge  of curiosity I’m guessing I’ll be over though

will ring be vw  tomorrow to see what they say about my max payload in the meantime 

33 minutes ago, chris76 said:

thanks for that, it’s all a mine field

really but as others have said I’m going to go on a  weigh bridge  of curiosity I’m guessing I’ll be over though

will ring be vw  tomorrow to see what they say about my max payload in the meantime 

Whatever VW tell you won't help much as they'll only be able to quote you a sample weight for your model ex factory, but it's unlikely to be for exactly the same spec. as your bus and manufacturing tolerances will mean your vehicle is highly unlikely to weigh the same. You know what the maximum weight that your vehicle is legally allowed to weigh, that's the plated GVW, so to ascertain your available payload you take your weighbridge weight from your GVW and work from that.

On 08/07/2019 at 20:52, shipbroker said:

Cripes, I would never have left the house if I had to compute all these permutations.

Seems the days of 'will my car pull it'? Have long gone.

Geoff

Glad it’s not just me!

I move stuff around to see if it makes a meaningful difference or not and that’s it. So long as there is a positive nose weight and the boot has a decent load in it everything else makes little difference - I noticed this with the old DS4 and my current Passat