Sign in to follow this  
BOAC

Fridge - Does yours work off the leisure battery?

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Absorption fridges can be triple power source, gas, 12v and 230v - compressor fridges can't be run on gas.

Point taken. I know which one I would prefer after looking at Rodders linked website though.

I've got a compressor, top loading, fridge in my micro camper. It's actually a a fridge freezer depending on what temperature you've selected. So far, I've only tried it on the drive but most impressed.

If a fridge uses 4 Amps running, but runs for 20% of the time, its average use is 0.8 Amps, not Amps per hour (A/h).  You could say it uses 0.8 Amp-hours per hour but that's daft.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression a standard caravan fridge could run off 12v when being towed, is this not the case?

my fridge has a battery symbol, but flashes along with the error light even when connected to the car and car running, not sure what’s going on with it tbh. My previous Sterling Europa could be switched to 12v when towing and kept cool throughput the journey.

7 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression a standard caravan fridge could run off 12v when being towed, is this not the case?

my fridge has a battery symbol, but flashes along with the error light even when connected to the car and car running, not sure what’s going on with it tbh. My previous Sterling Europa could be switched to 12v when towing and kept cool throughput the journey.

The fridge should run off 12v from the alternator not either the car or leisure battery. The battery symbol on the fridge is a bit misleading

This will normally only be when the engine is running faster than tickover, so it runs while towing but not when stationary unless someone revs the engine.

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

The fridge should run off 12v from the alternator not either the car or leisure battery. The battery symbol on the fridge is a bit misleading

This will normally only be when the engine is running faster than tickover, so it runs while towing but not when stationary unless someone revs the engine.

On a modern car with a Smart alternator surely the 12v feed should come from the car battery otherwise fridge would keep switching on and off or not work at all?

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

On a modern car with a Smart alternator surely the 12v feed should come from the car battery otherwise fridge would keep switching on and off or not work at all?

The feed would be fused from the battery, but should go via a smart relay that only allows  power if the engine is running, otherwise the car battery would go flat.

image.png

1 minute ago, Grandpa Steve said:

The feed would be fused from the battery, but should go via a smart relay that only allows  power if the engine is running, otherwise the car battery would go flat.

Thanks knew it was something like that with a  Smart alternator.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/technical-advice/fridges/

The 12V operation is for ‘on the road’ use and will only operate when the towing vehicle engine is running, but it is not a ‘second best’. Cooling in this mode is just as good as it is on gas or mains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we bought our new Bailey the dealer told us to make sure that when we turned the fridge off, that we also put the temperature dial back to 0 / off. If we did not do this then it would drain the battery as it was still using the 12v. I don't know why and I haven't tested it , I just do it. 

I'm no expert but suggest you don't take the van back to that dealer for servicing as I believe that suggestion is absolute rubbish.

1 hour ago, joanie said:

The 12V operation is for ‘on the road’ use and will only operate when the towing vehicle engine is running, but it is not a ‘second best’. Cooling in this mode is just as good as it is on gas or mains.

When we bought our new Bailey the dealer told us to make sure that when we turned the fridge off, that we also put the temperature dial back to 0 / off. If we did not do this then it would drain the battery as it was still using the 12v. I don't know why and I haven't tested it , I just do it. 

I suppose it depends on which fridge you've got but you must turn the fridge's mains/batt/gas selector switch to off.

If you shut off the van's supply on the main control panel, unplugged the mains and even shut off the gas cylinder in many cases, the 12v aux supply remains live which means that the control board or internal lighting remains powered and can discharge the van battery.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, joanie said:

Different issue as it is the caravan's leisure battery that is drained unless you switch off the 12v.