Sign in to follow this  
ancell

Alde pump noisy

Hi all

The Alde pump/top up tank has been thoughtfully placed in the bedroom of our Swift Conqueror 540 2017 vintage.

In the first season it quietly issued the odd bubble.

Now it bubbles noisily away keeping The Wife awake.

Not me.

I have turned the thermostat down to 18C at night and turned the gas heating off-set electric to 2 K-still bubbles away.

Does the system need bleeding?

Fluid was changed by dealer from 2 to 5 year at start of season.

Surprised that Swift were still using the header tank pump in 2017.

Most manufacturers had switched to the boiler mounted pump by then.

Our 2013 Swift and then 2015 Lunar had the pump in the header tank and they were both noisy. 

Bleeding may help, but it didn’t on ours.

Alde changed the pump for us and told me to try all sorts of things, including fitting a mouse mat behind the header tank, but nothing would quieten it.

Our 2017 Lunar has the boiler mounted pump and after the other two, it is absolute bliss, can’t hear a peep from it.

Whether we would hear it if we slept on the front beds I don’t know but we can’t hear it when just sitting there.

Has the pump speed been left at 5 rather than 2? You can look for this and adjust it from the Alde control panel. Engineer will likely have turned it up to 5 when replacing the fluid but should have returned it to 2 where you can hardly hear it.

does it need a bit of a top up - try bleeding the system and adding some more fluid.

If the fluid has been changed the air gets displaced out of the renewed circulating liquid when it gets heated so you might find that level drops a bit. We found the same when the van was new and when I had the fluid changed last year

The boiler is an Alde 3020 compact with the pump located near the floor in front of the boiler ie as far from the header tank as is physically possible😀.

Pump speed cannot be set on the Alde control panel but can be set physically by rotating the blue control knob on the pump end plate.

The pump speed appears to be set at the slowest possible 🙁

It would appear that the noise is caused by fluid turbulence?

Yes the fluid level has dropped I have the correct top up fluid in the caravan so will top up to the maximum.

What is the easiest way to bleed the system?

The maximum level is with hot fluid, if its cold the level should be just above the minimum level. The system will have several bleed points, my Lunar Clubman has four, 3 located next to the radiators and one on the towel rail in the bathroom. On my caravan there is one by each of the front seats and one by the nearside fixed bed. Just follow the pipework and located the radiators and you should find them. The floor mounted pump is set on 5 to push the fluid around quickly and dispel airlocks and is then normally set to position 2. Bleeding just involves unscrewing the bleed valve by hand and re tightening when fluid emerges. You may need a screwdriver for the towel rail vent. The bleed screws will look something like this - 

1900-517.jpg

Many thanks all.

I have a litre of 5 year (pink) fluid in the caravan so tomorrow I will go round the system find the bleed valves and hopefully put our bubbling header tank to rest😀

9 hours ago, ancell said:

The boiler is an Alde 3020 compact with the pump located near the floor in front of the boiler ie as far from the header tank as is physically possible😀.

Pump speed cannot be set on the Alde control panel but can be set physically by rotating the blue control knob on the pump end plate.

The pump speed appears to be set at the slowest possible 🙁

It would appear that the noise is caused by fluid turbulence?

Yes the fluid level has dropped I have the correct top up fluid in the caravan so will top up to the maximum.

What is the easiest way to bleed the system?

Apologies ancell, I understood you to mean from your OP that the pump was combined with the header tank in the wardrobe in the bedroom (so controlled via the Alde control panel) as opposed to on the boiler (controlled via the rotary switch on the pump itself).

We had the same problem 3 weeks ago with our recently acquired s/h Buccaneer ie excessive bubbling in the tank and associated noise. I got down to the pump but found it v v difficult to see the pointer on the pump and initially felt it was set correctly on level 2, it was only after much closer scrutiny (and contortions) that I was able to ascertain it was not set to 2. One I had set it correctly the bubbling returned to normal and all was quiet and as it should be. Not suggesting you havent but do check it is actually set to 2 as your symptoms sound very much like the pump running too quickly.

My Valencia used to bubble away in the wardrobe, have the pump set on 2, I spoke to Alde & they said to overfill the header tank by about 10mm, solved the problem, hasn’t caused it to overflow when hot. I run mine at night on 1kw, find this tends to stop the system switching on & off as it takes longer to heat. I don’t think bleeding will make any difference  as you said it was the header tank that was noisy. 

A great system, wouldn’t want to go back to blown air. 

If you google this "fault" the vast majority of advice is that the pump is set to 5... our new Unicorn was and sure enough the pump was set to 5... Setting it to 2 solved the issue.  Look for the common things first...

As posters state the pump is separate and VERY difficult to get at-at least for me.

The “bubbling” has only been a problem since the fluid change.

I have checked the pump speed which is controlled by a rotary potentiometer? on the pump end-there are no speeds marked on the pump I have set it on a low setting.

There is no evidence of air in the system ie no cold or part cold radiators.

The upright towel dryer has the highest bleeder in the system and is easy to bleed so I will bleed that.

Will top up 10mm overfill and set overnight heat to 1K

Topped up the fluid to 10mm over max.

Bled towel radiator-just two pozidrive screws hold the cover plate concealing the bleed valve-no air bubbles appeared.

Now a new problem-the radiator system fluid was blue!!

I thought the 5 year fluid was red/pink.

The top up 1 litre bottle was Alde 5 year and it was red/pink.

You need to go back to your dealer & ask them why the fluid is blue. They may have used a different brand than Alde. 

The speed controller on the pump isn’t easy to see, but it is marked with speed settings 1-5.   I might be easier to to take a picture and then you can see the dial.   Also when bleeding the system the pump needs to be off. 

1 hour ago, Hairyspinner said:

You need to go back to your dealer & ask them why the fluid is blue. They may have used a different brand than Alde. 

Is there no industry standard on colour of 5&2 year fluid?

I will be asking my dealer about the blue colour

5 hours ago, ancell said:

Is there no industry standard on colour of 5&2 year fluid?

I will be asking my dealer about the blue colour

There isn't an industry standard for antifreeze products as far as colour is concerned... Yeah it's stupid...