been narrow boating for 20 years need to take things easy so we are going back to a touring our first touring caravan was a Forest Sherwood £800 and our kids loved it can we still do it ?

Edited by robbymax

Not for 800 quid I don't suppose Robby!

Tons of info and a a bunch of very helpful folk on here to help you out by answering questions and offering advice.

It would help to know (vaguely) how you define 'taking it easy', whether you already have a suitable tow car and so on.

Jim

You will notice big differences between narrow boating and caravanning robbymax, just a pointer, narrow boating is the one with the water on the outside!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

33 minutes ago, Griff said:

just a pointer, narrow boating is the one with the water on the outside!

Reading some threads, it seems to depend which caravan you buy......

• Like 2

We would always go narrow boating as our family holiday when I was younger, absolutely loved it but it’s bone-crunchingly expensive in school holidays now.

My parents hired a 4-berth from what was Concorform Marine (Weedon, northants) for 2 weeks in Easter 1990 for £500 - 5 days to London, 4 nights in Little Venice and seeing the sights and then 5 days back. Getting a week at Easter for less than about £1100 is in incredibly challenging, I’d love to take FB junior but...it’s far too expensive and we’re enjoying the caravan instead!

You'll love being back in a van but stopping where you want overnight in the middle of nowhere is always appealing on a boat.

Ah, Hatton Flight in the pre maintenance days, having to send water down the locks so you could get through the pound...those were the days!

• 1 year later...

thanks for the replys chaps so we have moved on sold the boat 20 years boating and sold it for than i paid.  Now we have a Elddis 550 and we love it managed to snatch two weeks between lockdowns

and yesterday got her home for the winter need to work on it 

going to fit 1 x 150 watt panel and a 20 amp MPPT controller, with the idea of fitting more panels when we find out how much is needed for pumps, led lighting, and a bit of telly, Another important part is storage, no room for a second battery.

So have been studding utube and have just finished building a 120 amph lithium battery with a bluetooth B M S so i can monitor on my phone, has anyone done this my experience comes from the narrow boating

Welcome to the forum. Never tried a narrow boat although did once hire a cruiser on the Norfolk Broads.

Welocome to the forum  robbymax. Narrow boats don't usually leak, and don't usually have dodgy suspension. They are easier to reverse and don't need a motor mover. Everything about them is good as far as I can see.  

Ern

On 04/07/2019 at 20:46, jampot said:

Not for 800 quid I don't suppose Robby!

Tons of info and a a bunch of very helpful folk on here to help you out by answering questions and offering advice.

It would help to know (vaguely) how you define 'taking it easy', whether you already have a suitable tow car and so on.

Jim

It depends on ones expectations. Our first van was a Monza, no toilet, no hot water, no bathroom, diy electrics and manky with a well fitting full size awning but we had lots of fun, all for £500.

You have to remember that the top of the range caravan  20 years ago is no longer top of the range, just like that Ford Ghia was top of the range, nowadays it wont even be a L.

Value for money is out there.

macafee2

• 2 weeks later...

A friend who restores old narrow boats is currently working on one for a client. Almost the only original bits are now the ironwork, he has had to replace all the hull wood. and yet when they first came to it the wood was so soaked that the boat was still floating. I don't know if this counts as not having damp issues ...:)    Old enough to have a proper Bollinder engine too.