Sign in to follow this  
wozzer

Onboard Water Tanks

14 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I can see the point when significantly below zero - a few degrees below doesn't cause much problem with an insulated aquaroll.

My experience is, it isn’t the Aquaroll that freezes, but the pipe.  

Thanks for all the comments and photo's.

When I make up my mind I'll post again....

Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2019 at 08:39, Steve05 said:

Won't an underslung tank be just as prone to freezing as an aqua roll?

Probably not.  The air is much colder close to the ground.  Hence ground frosts.  And frost hollows.

Edited by kelper

On 08/07/2019 at 10:32, fred said:

My experience is, it isn’t the Aquaroll that freezes, but the pipe.  

That's why the pipe needs insulating as well

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kelper said:

Probably not.  The air is much colder close to the ground.  Hence ground frosts.  And frost hollows.

It's not that clear cut, if for example its been a nice sunny day and a clear night, the ground will act as a thermal store and will be dissipating some of the heat from the daytime sunshine, I dont think you can say the air close to the ground is always cooler although sometimes it is.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

On 05/07/2019 at 11:38, Durbanite said:

On board water tanks normally have a float inside it controlling the valve.  Surely if travelling with the tank half full with the water sloshing around probably quite violently could this damage the float?  We always empty ours which is a pain as you cannot flush the toilet if stopping in a lay bye.

I carry a minimum of 2 litres of fresh water [used to be a perfect fit in the Pug 3008 air con 'storage box' so chilled water on tap!]. A second 2 litre bottle remains in the boot area for fresh water for coffee in the wee small hours. So, having processed some of the water supply, I have just enough to flush the toilet, should I need to!

It's usually too much bother to do all that because we have a folding  caravan. So, it's normally quick break at Autoroute Services or at the Peage Rest Area, quick blast of the travel kettle to reheat up water from the flask,  trip to the loo and then back to the car to have coffee and use some of the fresh bladder capacity ... :D

Steve

Posted (edited)

Aluminium might be a bit weak to hold the weight of a filled tank at 100 lt is 100 kg + the weight of tank .

I would use 25 x 3 mm stainless steel angle for a frame at least .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the warning - I am thinking 50 Litres max, but a very valid point.

Cheers,

W

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Aluminium might be a bit weak to hold the weight of a filled tank at 100 lt is 100 kg + the weight of tank .

I would use 25 x 3 mm stainless steel angle for a frame at least .

Dave

Strange isnt it how aluminium can lift 440 tonnes of a boeing 747 into the air yet it cant carry a water tank.................

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Strange isnt it how aluminium can lift 440 tonnes of a boeing 747 into the air yet it cant carry a water tank.................

And many armoured military vehicles are made from aluminium armour, it stops bullets don’t ya know .

Aircraft aren't made of aluminium; they're made of aluminium alloy - big difference.

1 minute ago, kelper said:

Aircraft aren't made of aluminium; they're made of aluminium alloy - big difference.

Few things are made from pure aluminium - most things use an alloy of aluminium, of which there are many - but all referred to simply as aluminium by most people.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, kelper said:

Yes I'm aware of that and generally 'aluminium' for making brackets will be an alloy too, the point I'm making (badly so it seems) is that Alloy is perfectly acceptable for making brackets, it's strong enough if sized correctly. If you want a hard surface to it use anodised aluminium, thats rock hard.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

My  Ace Supreme Twinstar TA has an external under slung tank fitted from factory. It is under the nearside front bunk. 

My main bugbear with the onboard tank system is the way I have to keep filling it by switching two valves around that are under the front bunk and are a pain to get to. I would like to fit two solenoid/motorised valves one is just a shut off valve and the other is a diverter valve. I cant find a diagram of my system online but it looks like the picture below.

water system.jpg

I fitted a tank to our Bailey Pegasus Rimini under the front end of the nearside single bed. This puts it just rear of the axle ,a good place for the extra weight. It holds about 50 liters and I travel with it full or near to and is handy for a need for water enroute or when we arrive if I don't want the aquarol hassle straight away. I just put a standard filler in the side and use a normal hose . It has its own pump and is plumbed into the same hose from the main aquarol system . I fitted switch for it on the side of the bunk and all you do is when the tank that is being used runs out switch that pump of and the other one on. The pump for the new tank also has more pressure (30lbs) than the whale so is really good for a shower. No need for taps or valves  and doesn't pump from one tank into the other. 3mm floor well not on my Pegasus its at least 20mm .  Toilet flush has its own tank . As for the bit of extra weight its nothing for out tow car with a 2700kg capacity. Haven't noticed the tyres rubbing on the wheel boxes yet. Gives us a total of 110 liters now with both full so quite handy.

ace onboard water tank. In picture 1 you can see the internal filler point 

20190914_134043.jpg

20190914_134111.jpg