Sign in to follow this  
alfiemorris

2015 Tiguan 2.0 2WD as a tow car.

We've found a 15 plate VW Tiguan 2wd 2.0, local that suits our pocket, it also has only 29k miles. Our 2010 Tdi Golf Estate at 106k miles is a little long in the tooth so what are others opinion of the Tiguan please?  Would it have had any issues with the VW emissions scandal of 3+ years back or how could I best find out? The Tiguan has a larger safety margin on it for our Lunar Quazar 'van, another plus! Any views good or bad on this particular model would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, alfiemorris said:

We've found a 15 plate VW Tiguan 2wd 2.0, local that suits our pocket, it also has only 29k miles. Our 2010 Tdi Golf Estate at 106k miles is a little long in the tooth so what are others opinion of the Tiguan please?  Would it have had any issues with the VW emissions scandal of 3+ years back or how could I best find out? The Tiguan has a larger safety margin on it for our Lunar Quazar 'van, another plus! Any views good or bad on this particular model would be appreciated. 

I bought a 16 plate 'Mark 1.5' facelift model Tig 8 months ago, with just under 18k miles on the clock and have covered 5800 miles since, almost all of it towing [France & Spain last Winter from Scotland + the outward leg Scotland to France in late April]. We have a Gobur Folding Caravan, 1050kg MTPLM and Tig averages 38-40mpg when towing. Lots of power and torque and the dedicated towing system is very, very good.

It has some annoying quirks such as the Park Pilot going hyper when within 2 feet of an object and automatically locking the brakes as it does so. Getting in and out of parking slots tends to be a wee bit fraught.

If you have Milenco Towing Mirrors, you will need the F Pad mountings; I didn't and lost a towing mirror in Spain. You can buy them online at just under £10.

Overall, it's the best towcar I've ever owned.

For more specific advice, have a look at the MyTiguan.com website, especially the dedicated Towing sub-forum.

Steve

• Like 1

Never towed before, we bought a 2015 Euro 5 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 138bhp 4Motion, 2 years old with under 7k on the clock,  45-50 mpg solo, 27-32 mpg  loaded and towing 1500kg van, driving gently, fear it would suck the filler cap in if I thrashed it, would like a few more bhp, rev's soon disappear on inclines, stirring the box more than I'd like, feels a tad agricultural, that may be me, in 2 years never benefited from 4wd as far as I'm aware.   Only issue in 10k, cam belt tension pulley failed, a known issue apparently sorted under warranty......Very Happy with it, does what I want without issue.

2 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

For more specific advice, have a look at the MyTiguan.com website, especially the dedicated Towing sub-forum.

Steve

Where's that Steve, I can't find it.

16 minutes ago, Toein said:

Never towed before, we bought a 2015 Euro 5 Tiguan R-Line Tech 2.0 TDI 138bhp 4Motion, 2 years old with under 7k on the clock,  45-50 mpg solo, 27-32 mpg  loaded and towing 1500kg van, driving gently, fear it would suck the filler cap in if I thrashed it, would like a few more bhp, rev's soon disappear on inclines, stirring the box more than I'd like, feels a tad agricultural, that may be me, in 2 years never benefited from 4wd as far as I'm aware.   Only issue in 10k, cam belt tension pulley failed, a known issue apparently sorted under warranty......Very Happy with it, does what I want without issue.

I've found it and registered. Used the car reg and then it's vin, easy after that. Still a little undecided as I was hoping for some more bhp to be honest? 

Owned a Euro 5 Tig for three years towed without any problem, in fact it was a more comfortable car towing than solo as they are known for firm suspension. I prefer the sound of a torque converter auto box the dual clutch type which VW use always sounds like a slipping clutch to me at slow speed but that's just personal preference. If the car has had the emission mod done there should be paperwork with the car to that effect or a VW dealer should have a record. It should have a space saver spare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toein said:

www.mytiguan.com will get you there. I can see Alfie's first post! The revs do fall on inclines; in 6th gear, the engine runs at about 38mph per 000 revs, so when towing at 60mph you're barely pulling 1700rpm. I've found it better to just drop to 5th, especially on long, gradual inclines, open the throttle a wee bit and then back up into 6th; effectively, that's pushing just past 60mph, slip back into 6th and allow the revs to fall off a little.

Steve

I'm on my second Tiguan. The first was a 138bhp 4motion Tdi and I towed a Coachman Amara 450 which it managed without a problem. The caravan was changed for a Coachman Vision 575 weighing 1540kg. The Tiguan towed some 6000 miles in a year without a hitch.

I changed the Tiguan for another. This time it was a 150ps 4motion with a DSG auto gearbox. Euro 6 (one of the very last 5N Tiguans).

This is a brilliant tow car, the 7 speed auto make towing relaxed and easy. Fuel consumption is much better than the manual. I swopped the caravan for a Coachman Pastiche 470/2 weighing 1350Kg.

We have towed to France twice and once around Ireland plus some 3500 miles in the uk without a problem.

Cruising at 60 mph returns around 31 mpg when towing. 

With the manual gearbox I found the best towing performance was obtained keeping the engine spinning around 1750rpm.

Tiguan's make great stable tow cars and a good car when running around locally.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, marchie1053 said:

www.mytiguan.com will get you there. I can see Alfie's first post! The revs do fall on inclines; in 6th gear, the engine runs at about 38mph per 000 revs, so when towing at 60mph you're barely pulling 1700rpm. I've found it better to just drop to 5th, especially on long, gradual inclines, open the throttle a wee bit and then back up into 6th; effectively, that's pushing just past 60mph, slip back into 6th and allow the revs to fall off a little.

Steve

Thanks Steve

• Like 1

Thank you all, I'm more confident about the Tiguan now as a tow car.