Register

Adam180t

Hi do i need to register a caravan in my name like you would a car is there a registration certificate or something ?

There is a voluntary registration scheme called CRiS, if you buy from a dealer they usually do it for you and a certificate appears in the post a few weeks later.

No, you don't have to but it is advisable to register with CRiS.

For details click HERE and look for CRiS

For my new caravan dealer paid and did it with CRiS.

For my previous s/h caravans dealer never done it always been left to me to choose and pay, I've always chosen not to.

I can't see any advantage and never had a problem not choosing to have not have it.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

16 minutes ago, David 38 said:

I can't see any advantage and never had a problem not choosing to have not have it.

Nor have most the people who have never had their 'van stolen.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

My first thought is not sure I would want it back if stolen.

Regards, David

I would always register with CRiS for a little extra peace of mind.  The costs are very low compared to the cost of a new or newish caravan.

There's another consideration if buying secondhand privately.  If the caravan isn't registered in the name of the seller then it sets an alarm bell ringing for me especially if buying on the web or via an auction site where there may be no after sale protection.  

Fair enough guys well its only a 1997 caravan that i paid 950 quid for so im not too bothered about it if its optional haha but when /if i get a newer more expensive one i most prob will 

If it is new or nearly new you might well choose new for old cover and if stolen just buy a new one.

Regards, David

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the recovery rate of stolen CRiS registered caravans compared with those stolen but not registered?

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the recovery rate of stolen CRiS registered caravans compared with those stolen but not registered?

Interesting thought,but would guess nobody would keep those statistics anyway.........CRiS,NCC,Police no.

geoff

On 03/07/2019 at 14:51, Lutz said:

The caravan would be registered on the national database by an insurance company as stolen .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The database is only any use if a buyer has access to it before the purchase is completed, by which time any dodgy seller could be well away.   

If a previous owner didn't bother to update CRiS or take out insurance the risk is even greater.   Perhaps that's why the likes of Ebay don't offer any protection?

We pays our money and we takes our chances. 

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

The caravan would be registered on the national database by an insurance company as stolen .

Dave

Doesn’t the insurance company ask for the caravan’s VIN number when applying for insurance if it doesn’t already have a CRiS registration? If it does, it would still have the ability to enter it in a national database, because CRiS and VIN numbers follow the same format.

Mine wanted sight of CRiS Cert on first insurance.

geoff

2 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

The database is only any use if a buyer has access to it before the purchase is completed, by which time any dodgy seller could be well away.   

If a previous owner didn't bother to update CRiS or take out insurance the risk is even greater.   Perhaps that's why the likes of Ebay don't offer any protection?

We pays our money and we takes our chances. 

You can get the caravan Vin number checked like a car before purchase for any outstanding HP or stolen or written off .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

2 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

You can get the caravan Vin number checked like a car before purchase for any outstanding HP or stolen or written off .

Dave

If the database is on the basis of VIN numbers what is the point of CRiS registration of those caravans which already have a VIN number?

Some caravans of European origin seem to lose their VIN numbers along the way!

I had to store one for an Insurance company.

Geoff

Yes Geoff they do and unfortunately so do UK caravans going the other way.  It's not unknown for numbers to be changed or ground off - old tech but sufficient to get past an innocent buyer.  Not common fortunately but it happens.

Something that inexperienced buyers need to be aware of.