Sign in to follow this  
Pags

Dometic fridge settings

Hi - some help required please! On our Dometic fridge I can't remember which way to turn the dial to change the fridge temperature and having now filled it am reluctant to experiment! To lower the temperature should I turn clockwise (wider bar settings) or anticlockwise (lower bar settings)? The bar settings being the image around the outside of the dial -  Link to image

Thanks all in advance :-)

wider is colder..

I put my one to max to start, then when cold reduce to the half way point

Edited by Les666

More is less!

Even knobs with numbers are ambiguous.  I wish they'd use blue for col and red for warm, just like a shower.  Les666 is spot on, I had to read my manual to figure it out and it's fresh in my memory.

As an aside, we usually run at "3", so in the middle.

Russ

When into a 13 amp stand socket I find is right temperature halfway but on 6 amp. sites full on is needed, I assume because of long wires to hook up post lowering voltage.

58 minutes ago, David 38 said:

When into a 13 amp stand socket I find is right temperature halfway but on 6 amp. sites full on is needed, I assume because of long wires to hook up post lowering voltage. 

The number of amps on EHU will make no difference to what setting you need on the fridge. Either all your appliances will draw less than 6 Amps and everything is ok, or if they try to draw more the site bollard should trip. The voltage is the same, the current the fridge receives is the same. The knob controls a thermostat. No need to run turn it high for startup either, it will work at full power until it reaches the thermostat setting, turning it to a higher position just means it will go colder before the thermostat switches it off.

If you have a long hookup lead and the wire gauge is too small you WILL get a volltage drop on a 25m lead.  The Dometic fridge has a heater.  The Power is V2/R so a 10% voltage drop will cause about 20% power drop.  The fridge will probably work fine but it's possible it won't get quite as cold and runs continuously.  Changing the thermostat, as others have said, won't help.

Putting the stat on full cold won't make the fridge get cold more quickly either!  

Thanks.

It was not the drop in voltage due to my lead from caravan to hook-up post but length of the cable from say Farm House etc. to the post being the main cause of drop, to get 5/6 deg C at maximum.

At home prior to departure I again have max to get it really really cold for the journey ahead.

I use a fridge thermometer inside the fridge to check it is cold enough. Then the dial can be adjusted to suit but aim for 2 to 5 °C and around -18°C in the freezer part.

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

At home prior to departure I again have max to get it really really cold for the journey ahead.

Why?  Does yours not run from the car's alternator when motoring?

9 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I use a fridge thermometer inside the fridge to check it is cold enough. Then the dial can be adjusted to suit but aim for 2 to 5 °C and around -18°C in the freezer part.

I have a digital read out one, probe inside so no need to open door.

Kelper, well it is supposed to run off car 12v when engine running but hard to tell if any effect.

As many others say they have difficulty with car 12v I have assumed mine is ok and car 12v not efficient way of cooling.

Edited by David 38

To get a significant voltage drop of 20 volts when drawing 6 amps over a 4 mm cable the length of the cable would need to be nearly 1 kilometre!

9 hours ago, Les666 said:

I put my one to max to start, then when cold reduce to the half way point

Funny that people do this. It won’t cool any faster. 

I have tried explaining it to the boss, but she insists on doing it anyway 

13 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Funny that people do this. It won’t cool any faster. 

I have tried explaining it to the boss, but she insists on doing it anyway 

I have the reverse situation in respect of the cars heater in the winter! No amount of explaining will convince her.

Andy

Thanks all for your replies. Actually my manual doesn't say which way to turn the dial! Now I can adjust in confidence 😁