Sign in to follow this  
PaulR

Rear number plate

Hi

I,m new to caravanning,  my question is- I swop my company car af last once a year, is it illegal to take rear number plate of car and put it onto caravan for towing?

Obviously put it back on car when van is pitched.

Just now, PaulR said:

Hi

I,m new to caravanning,  my question is- I swop my company car af last once a year, is it illegal to take rear number plate of car and put it onto caravan for towing?

You must display the number plate on the car, including whilst towing a trailer. You will have to have a new number plate made up for the caravan everytime you change the car.

I do it from time to time. Probably not legal but it’s got me out of trouble. Trick is remembering to put it back on afterwards. 

Might be worth asking the dealer when you pick up your new car whether he’ll throw in a spare rear plate. 

Hi Martmap74. 

I copied your post over to this forum so I could reply.

I understand your predicament also not having ref doc, but a easy and cheap option is to get a number plate from a 'show plate' supplier based in Ireland made to UK road legal without the need for a ref doc.

I've done this and the quality is fine with fast delivery . 

Guys got in faster than my explanation .

eBay has lots of sellers but the plates are not legal.  All numberplate sellers have to be registered with DVLA.  I went to one of these and he never asked for any documents!  Charged me £9.

It is a requirement to display the registration mark on the rear of a vehicle, OR combination of vehicles.  As long as they are connected they are classed as one, if they were classed as two vehicles the trailer would need to be registered in its own right (like in many European countries) 

That’s why your car insurance covers third party risks associated with any trailer that’s attached. What  you are suggesting is not illegal. 

Its a a lot easier to do as PaulR has suggested ;)

Andy

• Like 2

And Mr Plod should know !!!:D

Just to prove he does :-

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment

Scroll down to :- Number plates

You must display the same number plate on your trailer as on your towing car.

If you tow more than one trailer at a time, fix the number plate to the trailer at the back.

As a by the by, also is stated :-

Towing mirrors

You must have an adequate view of the road behind you.

Fit suitable towing mirrors if your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of your car.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get 3 penalty points for towing without proper towing mirrors.

Just thought I would mention it and hope the  'Gentleman' with a Landy towing a Buccaneer who cut me up last week sees this 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

You must display the number plate on the car, including whilst towing a trailer. You will have to have a new number plate made up for the caravan everytime you change the car.

Unless its changed recently, you only need a plate on the front and rear of the combination. I used to do it regularly when moving trailer test stands. Obviously for this country the number has to be the same mark as the tow vehicle.

The difficulty for me is usually the plates supplied on the tow vehicles these days are anti vandalism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Towtug said:

Unless its changed recently, you only need a plate on the front and rear of the combination. I used to do it regularly when moving trailer test stands. Obviously for this country the number has to be the same mark as the tow vehicle.

The difficulty for me is usually the plates supplied on the tow vehicles these days are anti vandalism.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates says the car and trailer MUST have the same plate.

A bit off topic, but I have always wondered where foreign visitors stand when visiting the UK regarding the legality of having a different number plate on the caravan to those on the car. I have often drawn blank faces when asked for the registration number upon arrival at campsites and I counter with the question, “Do you want the one on the car or the one on the caravan?”

1 minute ago, kelper said:

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates says the car and trailer MUST have the same plate.

Yes indeed you are 109% correct the same registration mark must be displayed front and rear of any vehicle OR combination of vehicles. 

ABC123 on the front of the tow car and ABC123 on the rear of the trailer, they are both displaying the SAME registration !

See Towtugs post, he agrees with me and he has a lot of experience as do I.

Andy 

PFC Plates in Leicester, order online no problems

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Lutz said:

A bit off topic, but I have always wondered where foreign visitors stand when visiting the UK regarding the legality of having a different number plate on the caravan to those on the car. I have often drawn blank faces when asked for the registration number upon arrival at campsites and I counter with the question, “Do you want the one on the car or the one on the caravan?”

As we are in the EU if it’s legal in the (EU) country where the vehicle is registered then it’s legal in every other EU country.

U.K. registered vehicles are not allowed white reflective number plates on the rear, but in France they are so French cars with reflective white rear plates can legally be driven in the UK. Likewise with yellow reflective front number plates that Dutch vehicle have.

Many European countries also require trailers to be seperatly registered, so the same rules apply as those applicable to reflective plates, it’s legal in the country of origin so is legal in the U.K. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

On the rare occasion my change of car was to a brand new one i've asked the dealer to make an extra rear number plate and they did so at no extra charge. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Towtug said:

The problem is outdated legislation plus, more importantly, the pressure to detect vehicle theft (tow vehicle & trailer). On the one hand you are technically correct in terms of the whole combination and that is very convenient for commercial purposes but not practical or generally accepted practice for private use. However, you can guarantee that a car without a rear number plate, even whilst towing, could be subjected to a lengthy delay, if stopped by police, whilst thorough checks are carried out and that would be compounded if stopped more than once on the same journey!

Edited by Legal Eagle

Certainly true, but the original question was is it legal to remove the towing vehicles rear number plate and use it on the rear of the caravan, and it IS legal.

Hence my reply in respect of its legality. Personally I would get another plate made up for EXACTLY the reasons you stated.  

Andy

2 hours ago, PaulR said:

Hi

If you know or can find out the name of the supplying dealer, a quick phone call will usually get you an extra rear plate thrown in for free.

You can also Talk to your employer - after all a car with towing capability might be useful to them sometime. If the car is being supplied with a bar already fitted then it is not unreasonable for an extra plate to be supplied as well?

I had a company car for years, had to ask for permission to add a tow bar and when this was given, just asked for an extra plate.  Worked for me. 

Posted (edited)

I now agree with Mr Plodd!  I re-read my link and an 'oufit' only needs a plate front and rear.  But for the price it's daft not to get a permanent plate on the van.  If you keep swapping plates you'd have to make holes in the rear of a van.  That double-sided tape ain't easy to remove.

Edited by kelper
spelliing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kelper said:

I now agree with Mr Plodd!  I re-read my link and an 'oufit' only needs a plate front and rear.  But for the price it's daft not to get a permanent plate on the van.  If you keep swapping plates you's have to make holes in the rear of a van.  That double-sided tape ain't easy to remove.

I have used the large sized Velcro 'coins' for years and they are still a beggar to get off at the end! The secret is not only to make sure the surface being used is clean and grease-free (use meths or lighter fuel) but warm the area with a hairdryer or hot air gun before application.

17 minutes ago, kelper said:

I now agree with Mr Plodd!  I re-read my link and an 'oufit' only needs a plate front and rear.  But for the price it's daft not to get a permanent plate on the van.  If you keep swapping plates you'd have to make holes in the rear of a van.  That double-sided tape ain't easy to remove.

I use Heavy Duty Velcro, no problems for me

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

As we are in the EU if it’s legal in the (EU) country where the vehicle is registered then it’s legal in every other EU country.

U.K. registered vehicles are not allowed white reflective number plates on the rear, but in France they are so French cars with reflective white rear plates can legally be driven in the UK. Likewise with yellow reflective front number plates that Dutch vehicle have.

Many European countries also require trailers to be seperatly registered, so the same rules apply as those applicable to reflective plates, it’s legal in the country of origin so is legal in the U.K. 

Andy

To my knowledge the reciprocal agreements apply not only to the EU but worldwide to all countries that are signatories to the Vienna protocol. However, they only apply to technical items such as the colour and configuration of number plates but not necessarily to vehicle registration requirements. I can recall, for example, when entering Iceland, foreign diesel engined vehicles coming off the ferry had to be temporarily registered and taxed there (however without changing their existing number plates - presumably because diesel fuel is taxed less or not at all). While driving on the Continent I have also seen HGV units with white Portuguese and red Spanish plates on the same trailer.

Edited by Lutz

Posted (edited)

I did this the other week and forgot to put it back on the car! Only realised when i got to customers house 100 miles away including a trip through dartford tunnel!

For the sake of £9.00 i would just order a new one when i change the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Standard-GB-MOT-UK-Road-Legal-Car-Van-Reg-Registration-Number-Plate/173766480436?hash=item28754a1234:g:BMoAAOSwv~1aEdDZ

Edited by tom_1989

2 hours ago, kelper said:

If you go to a local place you won't have to mail your documents and risk losing them.

https://www.gov.uk/number-plate-supplier

None of the ebay ones actually ask to see your documents.