Sign in to follow this  
Les Medes

CL's with Toilets & Showers

Has  anyone compiled a list of CL's with Toilets & Showers Nationally they would like to share with fellow posters, Club Sites are pricing themselves out of the market, I was looking at Black Knowle in April 2020 the cost was £32 per night and not Easter week

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Has  anyone compiled a list of CL's with Toilets & Showers Nationally they would like to share with fellow posters, Club Sites are pricing themselves out of the market, I was looking at Black Knowle in April 2020 the cost was £32 per night and not Easter week

I don't know if such a list has been compiled but if there was one it would be very useful,  good idea Les :goodpost:.

I have heard of, but have not tried https://archiescampings.EU/

not sure if relevant info is contained within their app.

Edited by Sea&Sand

Toilets and showers on a CL seems, to me, to be almost defeating the purpose. CLs are surely meant to be a low cost option, in unspoilt locations. 

A facilities block costs significant money to build and this would have to be shared by no more than 5 units.

There may also be planning permission issues in the typically rural locations.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was told recently (on this very Forum) that the majority of British caravnners don't like 'roughing it in a field' and expect full services comparable to Continental sites.

In fact I think it was Stevan who told me.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Haha 3

As we do not make 'full use' of our toilet, the only CL's we would stay at are those with a proper toilet, not bothered about showers as we would use our own.

Be interested if such a list does exist.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

I can only speak as a member of cc&M club and their CL's and as a member can view the listings of their CLs on their website and facilities of each CL is listed there.   I guess others clubs could well do the same.

33 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

Has  anyone compiled a list of CL's with Toilets & Showers 

Just use the filters on the CMC website. There are 592 CLs with toilets and showers already listed there . 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, moorgate said:

Just use the filters on the CMC website. There are 592 CLs with toilets and showers already listed there . 

And by filtering on the C&CC web site they have 905 CS's with toilets, 688 CS's with toilet/showers and 708 CS's with showers.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevan said:

Toilets and showers on a CL seems, to me, to be almost defeating the purpose. CLs are surely meant to be a low cost option, in unspoilt locations. 

A facilities block costs significant money to build and this would have to be shared by no more than 5 units.

There may also be planning permission issues in the typically rural locations.

Most of the CLs I've used with showers and toilets have created them in existing converted buildings - and not shared with anyone other than the 5 units - and not necessarily more expensive than CLs without them.

17 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Most of the CLs I've used with showers and toilets have created them in existing converted buildings - and not shared with anyone other than the 5 units - and not necessarily more expensive than CLs without them.

And some of them I have used has stand alone toilet/shower build into garden shed type.

As said above use the filters, we found a gem of a site for Easter weekend, adults only, one wet room, with toilet and hand basin. All tiled with glass divider, to stop water splash when in the shower. This was a Brick built unit on the back of the Tractor garage. Also hard standing, fully serviced pitches. It is just outside Frome, Clive is the name of the owner and a CMC member & caravan owner.

http://alicestreetfarm.co.uk/

We will go again!

8 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I was told recently (on this very Forum) that the majority of British caravnners don't like 'roughing it in a field' and expect full services comparable to Continental sites.

In fact I think it was Stevan who told me.

I am completely happy to not be part of that majority!

It just seems strange to me that even users of CLs want full facilities!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I am completely happy to not be part of that majority!

It just seems strange to me that even users of CLs want full facilities!

Nothing strange if the CL owner want to provide full facilities people will use them. one that I use regularly is fully booked for the full years ahead and it is only £15 a night.

1 minute ago, oldboy said:

Nothing strange if the CL owner want to provide full facilities people will use them. one that I use regularly is fully booked for the full years ahead and it is only £15 a night.

Each to their own!

I stayed on a CL in Devon last summer.   It had a couple of toilets and a shower cubicle in one of the farm buildings (although the electric was on a coin meter);  it was only about a mile away from a beautiful sandy beach and yet in mid-August was only £14 per night per unit.

I would never go on a site without full facilities, even if I had a shower in my caravan due to my strict ‘no number 2’s in the loo’ rule.

But yes, each to their own.

• +1 1

I stay in a site in Bungay with a toilet but no shower £14 a night pitch how you like the run of the farm to walk around. 

When we stay there we happily use our shower and toilet. 

Conversely just had a "boys" long weekend photography in the Norfolk broads and stayed on a site with two toilets a great shower with glass divider to stop splashback, an information hut jammed to the rafters with info, phone numbers a map etc at £16 a night, they are out there!

We have stopped staying at these CS or CL sites that charge £20 a night or more although we do accept its becoming the norm, bring back the years were we stayed on a CL with electric only for two days for £13 :)  

Going to Spain in a few weeks, main German/Dutch season, big site, pools, supermarket, directly on the beach, restaurant, bar etc. Large pitch with 10 Amp electricity no water on the pitch, 2 adults and 2 teenagers, I think I’m paying about £50 a night, it might be a bit more but reasonable if you compare it to a field in England for 20 quid.

14 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I would never go on a site without full facilities, even if I had a shower in my caravan due to my strict ‘no number 2’s in the loo’ rule.

But yes, each to their own.

I never use site toilets as I prefer to know who`s rear end has been on the seat before me,but as you say each to their own.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Going to Spain in a few weeks, main German/Dutch season, big site, pools, supermarket, directly on the beach, restaurant, bar etc. Large pitch with 10 Amp electricity no water on the pitch, 2 adults and 2 teenagers, I think I’m paying about £50 a night, it might be a bit more but reasonable if you compare it to a field in England for 20 quid.

Just booked 2 nights at Clent Hills C&CC Site [about 5 miles from where I was born!] for a wee break on our way from the Dieppe to Newhaven ferry to our abode in Scotland. Age related discount, but still a tad over £24 per night for us 2 retirees + EHU in our tiny Folding Caravan. Your £50 per night looks to be very reasonable for 4 people.  The only pool at Clent will be the rainwater on the hardstanding, and the restaurant will be the chippie at Oldswinford!

Steve

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hector69 said:

I never use site toilets as I prefer to know who`s rear end has been on the seat before me,but as you say each to their own.

I (we) always carry a bottle of spray disinfectant with us to the loo, I don’t take a dump or cook in my bedroom at home and I don’t want to be doing it in my caravan.

I’m not a prude or a wimp, I’ve roughed it all over the world for months on end in a tank, those days are thankfully behind me.

9 minutes ago, marchie1053 said:

Your £50 per night looks to be very reasonable for 4 people.  The only pool at Clent will be the rainwater on the hardstanding, and the restaurant will be the chippie at Oldswinford!

Steve

I believe it’s nearer 70€, what’s that in pounds? £55?

Been using the same site on and off for 25 years. We’ve used bigger more expensive one’s on the Costa Brava but we’re happiest at that one.

Edited by Borussia 1900

Haven in Cornwall charge £500 a week for a Pitch in the UK school holidays (went in 2016), not my cup of tea

We've done about 50 nights in CL's over the last 6 years. The majority have had both toilets and showers and that's been deliberate as we didn't really use the shower in the previous caravan (it was one of those non-lined clingy curtain in the toilet room jobs) and also because Lady Vimes has only just become accustomed to using the caravan shower (so much more civilised than a walk outside when it's cold!).

We'll still use site showers if they are nice and especially in warmer climates when a nice long shower can be most welcome.  We have no general  qualms about the cleanliness of on site facilities (unless they are muddy) or sharing with others and nor do we have any fear of using the van's facilities fully as they are designed very well (far better to use the facilities than to traipse about outside cooking or going for a number two when it's bloomin freezing!

Price wise, we tend to find that CL's come in the £14 - £18 price range, which isn't bad considering the facilities and that EHU is nearly always included in that price.  Some are pricing themselves out of our market while others provide luxurious facilities cheaply.   We just use the filters on the club website to help us choose.

In France, peak season, we tend to find that 35 Euro gets us a full facility site.  We hardly ever stump up for a club site in the UK as £30 a night for a site where you have to check out early and don't get anything other than a heated, tiled shower seems a bit steep. There's nearly always a better CL or Commercial option.  For us, budget is important, we simply would not go away as often if £30 a night was the norm and that would probably make the caravan a daft option - just stump up for decent accommodation instead.   

56 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Haven in Cornwall charge £500 a week for a Pitch in the UK school holidays (went in 2016), not my cup of tea

That's over £70 per night!

This summer we expect to do 3 weeks at £14.50 per night and 3 weeks at £13 per night! A little over the £500 but 6 times as long. Worth using our own facilities for! (there will be showers on site, but no toilets, but we will stick with our own)

Fortunately for us budget isn’t an issue (I fully accept that for many folk it is) but I (we) hate hotels so even if sites are a bit expensive we’re prepared to take that on the chin.

We don’t camp in bad weather if we can avoid it and I love being outside, cooking or whatever. The last 3 sites we’ve stayed on have all had on-pitch private facilities (toilet, shower, kitchen, food prep area) and yes they were expensive but it’s all relative. We’re about to embark on a 3 week trip to France and Spain, fuel, tolls, site fee’s, food, drinks etc it will cost around £3000 for 2 adults and 2 children, if we were to fly somewhere half decent for 3 weeks in the main season it would cost a lot more than that.

9 minutes ago, Stevan said:

That's over £70 per night!

This summer we expect to do 3 weeks at £14.50 per night and 3 weeks at £13 per night! A little over the £500 but 6 times as long. Worth using our own facilities for! (there will be showers on site, but no toilets, but we will stick with our own)

We stayed 2 weeks at Perransands the 2 weeks before UK school holidays for £330, the following 2 weeks on the same pitch was £1000 and it wasn’t great.