Steamdrivenandy

Alternative water filling point and EHU connection

Yesterday I watched a video on water tanks etc by Jerba Campervans. I was intrigued by the neat system they employ for the above. They modify the plastic trim belowr the offside rear lights of VW T6 vans they convert. The trim is made to hinge and underneath are both utility connections. Once you've filled the water tank the trim can be closed as there's a small gap to allow the cable to exit the space. It means there's no need for an EHU or water point on the side of the van, reducing the cutting of holes and giving a clean look to the bodywork. I wonder if that idea could be used in caravans?

Shock horror! Caravan manufacturers doing something new. Not a chance, nice idea though.

A flip up number plate could be a solution. 

10 hours ago, thebriars said:

Shock horror! Caravan manufacturers doing something new. Not a chance, nice idea though.

Now come on, thats not fair, Bailey moved the battery from an easy access outside location into the middle of the floor inside making it dimensionally challenged, awkward access and having to carry a lead acid battery through the interior of the caravan.  They introduced new construction including roof seams that provided an internal water feature. James bond style wheel shedding. A perfect example of British Caravan makers at their best.

• Haha 4

Yeah but no, but yeah but......

By moving the battery box to under the floor they HAVE removed one potential water ingress point from the side of the caravan (the battery locker door and frame) 

Oh silly me, I forgot, there is now an EHU socket on the outside isn’t there, which leaves the plug AND lead protruding horizontally just in front of the habitation door at shin height, unlike the “old” system where it was tucked away inside the battery box with the cable being fed out vertically so it didn’t pose a trip hazard when in use. 

Isn’t progress/improvement a wonderful thing? 

Andy

• Like 1

IMO nobody should be impressed with an EHU and pressure water feed so close together and within the same enclosure, there is more to design than "styling".

I coined a word for this - deprovement.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yeah but no, but yeah but......

By moving the battery box to under the floor they HAVE removed one potential water ingress point from the side of the caravan (the battery locker door and frame) 

Oh silly me, I forgot, there is now an EHU socket on the outside isn’t there, which leaves the plug AND lead protruding horizontally just in front of the habitation door at shin height, unlike the “old” system where it was tucked away inside the battery box with the cable being fed out vertically so it didn’t pose a trip hazard when in use. 

Isn’t progress/improvement a wonderful thing? 

Andy

In many cases yes LOL. Glad youre enjoying the new van, long may it continue.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder what design features the participants of Caravan Talk could create. Take a simple caravan design of convention, add the best 20 improvement features from the forum...……. No we cant do that cos they already did it on Top Gear. 

7 hours ago, JTQ said:

IMO nobody should be impressed with an EHU and pressure water feed so close together and within the same enclosure, there is more to design than "styling".

OH, I don't know, I really look forward to a little zing when I fill the water tank;)