Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David P

Powered Transporters

Recommended Posts

Hi

Just had a long weekend at CMC Ferry Meadows. The Other Half has relatives living in Peterborough, so a family get together to celebrate an 80 birthday (not ours) and catch up with others we have not seen for many years?

Getting to the point, the number of electrical scooters (not the Vespa type), that were being ridden around Nene park, was something else! I know Nene Park is private land, but the cycle ways/footpaths, leading to the park are not.

Don’t get me wrong, I have an eBike, which conforms to current legislation for the UK and EU, so I can ride on any public road, cycle way.

People by these scooters for their kids or themselves, not realising that it’s a criminal act to ride, on any public surface, other than private land, with the owner’s consent?

Look Here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/powered-transporters/information-sheet-guidance-on-powered-transporters?cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK14-_-Cycling_Newness_Escooters_Kinetic-_-Active&cm_em=E0B9C297-DE2A-4C9D-86DC-5EE78B7E9E53&_$ja=tsid:71018|cgn:June2019_2020|kw:WK14Cycling_Newness_Escooters_KineticActive&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email_one_time&utm_campaign=FY20_WK14_BAU540K_Active

So, if you are thinking of getting one (not a legal eBike), think twice?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.  :angry:

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.  :angry:

The link provided by the OP leads to HMG website and refers to Segways, 'novel electric scooters', and sundry other modes of emerging transport. There is no mention of mobility scooters [from a very quick scan of the content for any glaring reference to devices for people with mobility problems], so no attack on Disability Rights.

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.  :angry:

Why don't you read the link, not just fire off in the direction of Mobility scooters, which I never mentioned. Just purchased a Mobility scooter for my 94 year old Father-in-law. Another family member has 2 mobility scooters, I myself have 2 total knee replacements. So I now where you are coming from, but please read the post first?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, David P said:

Why don't you read the link, not just fire off in the direction of Mobility scooters, which I never mentioned. Just purchased a Mobility scooter for my 94 year old Father-in-law. Another family member has 2 mobility scooters, I myself have 2 total knee replacements. So I now where you are coming from, but please read the post first?

 

How rude !!

Why didn't you make it clear in your original post   Your post,,,, Quote  :-  "Getting to the point, the number of electrical scooters (not the Vespa type), that were being ridden around Nene park, was something else! I know Nene Park is private land, but the cycle ways/footpaths, leading to the park are not".  

 

IMO Mobility Scooters are most definitely Electrical Scooters,  Hence my reply.  :D .  B.T.W. Links are generally a waste of time. :)

Edited by bessacarr425
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

 

How rude !!

Why didn't you make it clear in your original post   Your post,,,, Quote  :-  "Getting to the point, the number of electrical scooters (not the Vespa type), that were being ridden around Nene park, was something else! I know Nene Park is private land, but the cycle ways/footpaths, leading to the park are not".  

 

IMO Mobility Scooters are most definitely Electrical Scooters,  Hence my reply.  :D .  B.T.W. Links are generally a waste of time. :)

Not rude,:rolleyes:

Just your ignorance in not reading the link. As you said 'B.T.W. Links are generally a waste of time'.

But not in this case, they are there as clarification! A 2 wheeled electrical propelled scooter (not the Vespa type), Uni cycle, Hover board, its all in the link, but you could not be asked to read it!

Sorry it upset you, next time read all of the post!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Bessacar but I for one realised what the OP was getting at without opening the link because I actually carefully read ALL of the original post before leaping to an (incorrect) conclusion. 

 

The OP had included the line about people buying them for their KIDS or themselves. How many kids have you seen riding mobility scooters! Then there was the final sentence of the post 

 

“So, if you are thinking of getting one (not a legal eBike), think twice? “ 

 

Sadly these days (some) people clearly don’t bother to actually READ what has been written. 

 

Andy

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not wishing to get involved in any arguments, I will leave this thread by saying :- Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.   End of !!:D

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bessacarr425 said:

Not wishing to get involved in any arguments, I will leave this thread by saying :- Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.   End of !!:D

Someone who cant admit he was wrong!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found the original post perfectly clear,as i have been to the park several times i totally agree with comments.As for Bessacarr 425 how sad.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bessacarr425 said:

Not wishing to get involved in any arguments, I will leave this thread by saying :- Any attempt to ban mobility scooters from public areas will be resisted by those of us who value a disabled person's right to independent mobility.   End of !!:D

 

It’s  only YOU who thinks that this thread applies to mobility scooters. The rest of us fully understand that what was referred to were motorised STAND ON SCOOTERS. No one (other than you) thinks it in anyway applies to mobility scooters. 

 

It’s a bit like the old joke about a mum being at her sons military passing out parade.

 

“Oh look, my Jimmy (Bessacarr ?) is the ONLY one in step”  :rolleyes:

 

You have dug yourself to the bottom of a deep hole, time to stop digging !

 

Andy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

..

Edited by onewheelonmywagon
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we keep the replies cordial please?

I read the opening post as referring to two wheeled electric scooters (the kind with a stand on platform and handle bars) not powered chairs used by those with mobility issues, or electrically propelled sit-on scooters looking similar to those of the 60s. I am sure that David P will correct me if I am wrong.

I therefore fail to see the inference regarding mobility scooters.

Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To be honest, mobility scooters aren't really scooters:-

Definition:

"1. a light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with their legs together and their feet resting on a floorboard.

2. a child's toy consisting of a footboard mounted on two wheels and a long steering handle, propelled by resting one foot on the footboard and pushing the other against the ground."

 

The mobility vehicles are really motorised wheelchairs of various different designs.

 

FWIW it too was obvious to me what the OP was talking about too. 

 

On the subject of mobility scooters in public areas having been knocked down twice by such devices, I think they should be speed limited to less than walking pace for the safety of all. Some of them are ridiculously quick driven by incompetent and untrained individuals amongst pedestrians.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just read this topic through, and I can see both sides of the (rather bad-tempered) argument.

Even my amazing brain power took a few (milli)seconds to clarify what the "scooters" referred to , precisely.

So give a little slack, please.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too read the opening post as referring to two wheeled electric scooters (the kind with a stand on platform and handle bars) not powered chairs used by those with mobility issues, or electrically propelled sit-on scooters looking similar to those of the 60s.

I therefore fail to see the inference regarding mobility scooters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a coincidence I've just finished a phone call with a friend who has just moved back to the UK, one of God's waiting rooms on the North Wales Coast, who was bitching and moaning about mobility scooters going two abreast up and down the pavements clearing all in their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

To be honest, mobility scooters aren't really scooters:-

Definition:

"1. a light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with their legs together and their feet resting on a floorboard.

2. a child's toy consisting of a footboard mounted on two wheels and a long steering handle, propelled by resting one foot on the footboard and pushing the other against the ground."

 

The mobility vehicles are really motorised wheelchairs of various different designs.

 

FWIW it too was obvious to me what the OP was talking about too. 

 

On the subject of mobility scooters in public areas having been knocked down twice by such devices, I think they should be speed limited to less than walking pace for the safety of all. Some of them are ridiculously quick driven by incompetent and untrained individuals amongst pedestrians.

Now,I'm confused [or I was for a couple of minutes]. I thought your definition at 1. referred to mobility scooters, and I was about to comment that of course users should sit with their legs together. The image of speeding granny pants driving into the wind, exposing knee high pop sock stockings [and that's just the men ...] was most unsettling. Put me off my lunchtime egg sandwich ...

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

As a coincidence I've just finished a phone call with a friend who has just moved back to the UK, one of God's waiting rooms on the North Wales Coast, who was bitching and moaning about mobility scooters going two abreast up and down the pavements clearing all in their way.

 

Best tell them to avoid Skegness, then. It’s normal to see three or four abreast there - with whole families on board the things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was blindingly obvious to me what the OP referred to. 

 

Its interesting that our ‘eco friendly’ politicians have banned their use other than on private land. As an environmentally friendly means of personal mobility within cities these scooters are leagues ahead of electric cars, and would reduce congestion. They’re widely used in cities across Europe, with several places having a cheap app based rental service. Not without some controversy, it’s true. 

 

Folding versions could easily be carried on trains, unlike ebikes, making life easier and quicker for commuters across the land.  Cheaper than most ebikes too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

It was blindingly obvious to me what the OP referred to. 

 

Its interesting that our ‘eco friendly’ politicians have banned their use other than on private land. 

 

For the avoidance of doubt it’s not the politicians who have banned their use but the law.

 

By definition IF they are a “Mechanically propelled vehicle made adapted or intended for use on a road”  Then they come under the full gambit of what every “mechanically propelled vehicle made adapted etc” has to have. (By riding one in a road there is the “intention” proven before anyone leaps on that)

 

That list involves brakes, lights, tyres, springs, mudguards, horn etc etc and that’s before we even think about Whole Vehicle Type Approval!

 

What I am saying is that IN LAW these electric scooters are classed in exactly the same way as say a moped is. As they do not comply with just about every construction and use regulation requirement they are not allowed on a public highway. That’s before we then get to the requirement for all mechanically propelled vehicles ancillary Regs such as registration, driving licence Regs, helmets  for the rider, third party insurance cover etc etc. 

 

All of these regulations were were brought in long before anyone THOUGHT of electric scooters, that’s why there is now a specific set of regulations to cover Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles because, before those Regs came in they were in the same situation as electric scooters currently are, that being illegal due to everything (and more) that I have listed above.  And no these scooters don’t come under the definition of EAPC’s either (no pedals etc) 

 

I hope that clarifies things a little?

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

For the avoidance of doubt it’s not the politicians who have banned their use but the law.

 

Is it not politicians who make the law? or at least approve laws drafted by Civil Servants .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fireman Iain said:

It was blindingly obvious to me what the OP referred to. 

 

They’re widely used in cities across Europe, with several places having a cheap app based rental service.

We were in Hollywood, Florida, this last January. Loads (100's) of adult rental 2 wheeled electric scooters. What I don't like is. 18 months ago I purchased a folding eBike, waited 3 months to get it, had it 3 weeks and the supplier contacted me stating that the manufacturer's had made a mistake and fitted 400w motors, (not legal in the UK on public roads). Had a full refund! Went out and purchased a 250w motor propelled folder.

Knowing my luck, if I kept the first one, I would get done, no insurance, inadequate lighting, no motor cycle helmet worn, and anything else, that the law could throw my way, perhaps loosing my licence. No car/caravan and no job?

So why are our law enforcers so laxed, against those who are ignorant or laxed against this law!

My OP was in no way targeted against any propelled mobility vehicle :mellow:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 02/07/2019 at 16:22, bessacarr425 said:

 

How rude !!

Why didn't you make it clear in your original post   Your post,,,, Quote  :-  "Getting to the point, the number of electrical scooters (not the Vespa type), that were being ridden around Nene park, was something else! I know Nene Park is private land, but the cycle ways/footpaths, leading to the park are not".  

 

IMO Mobility Scooters are most definitely Electrical Scooters,  Hence my reply.  :D .  B.T.W. Links are generally a waste of time. :)

 

The term "electrical scooters (not the Vespa type)" would surely be interpreted by most people as pointing at mobility scooters. Any two-wheeled scooter would be considered as the Vespa type.

 

It may not have been the OP's intention but the wording used causes offence.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...