Sign in to follow this  
mprcomp

Changes of early ferry

In August we have our ferry booked for 10.30 which is a reasonable time that means we get there at 13:05 we guess it's about 6 to 6 and a half hours with a stop to our main site.

What are the chances of trying out luck and going to down early to see if get an earlier ferry or does this not happen anymore?

Thanks,

Paul 

Very much a chance. They are far less pernickety than they used to be about turning up on time, but they don't turn as much of a blind eye as they did to letting you on a more expensive crossing than you booked. Sadly, they don't refund you if you take a cheaper one either! They don't want people rushing to get a ferry, having a crash and then blaming the ferry company.

We had a 7.30 ferry booked from Dover two years running. The first time we arrived early and they rushed us through and we were the last one on the earlier ferry. The next year they made us wait for the one we were booked on. Think it depends on who is booking you in.

When I’ve turned up early I’ve been made to wait for my booked crossing, been allowed on the next crossing with no issues and also been allowed on the next boat, but had to pay extra. So I don’t think there’s a hard and fast rule, I imagine it’s down to space, cost of crossing and possibly the person on the booth. 

We have been told that it is all to do with loading. it's a real art, loading a ferry.

Don’t try it on n the western crossings!

Posted (edited)

If the early ferry is not fully booked or not fully checked in, they may ask you to move to the loading area where you are effectively on stand by. They want the vessel fully loaded.   

Edited by Ern

When we were using Dover to Calais crossing, we were told by P&O that the fare covered the time of crossing purchased, but would not be increased for the earlier/later crossing either side - e.g.  booked 0730, fare unchanged if switching to 0645 or 0815. Any other changes would be chargeable, and the changes were always subject to passengers previously booked on your new crossing having priority.

We then switched to Newhaven to Dieppe crossing that gives a 20% discount for aged 60 and over and can be cheaper than the Dover crossings as a consequence. Any changes from the booked crossing will cost a minimum £10 admin fee and/or the higher ferry fare. As an aside, I looked at the P&O 20% discount yesterday for mid-July crossing and the Newhaven fare was only about £15 more expensive and is about 80 miles shorter drive so the chance to get a decent time to sleep in the reclining seat makes the few pounds difference well worth it. [slight Fred Drift ...].

Steve

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, mprcomp said:

In August we have our ferry booked for 10.30 which is a reasonable time that means we get there at 13:05 we guess it's about 6 to 6 and a half hours with a stop to our main site.

What are the chances of trying out luck and going to down early to see if get an earlier ferry or does this not happen anymore?

Thanks,

Paul 

Highest demand, outbound,  is between 8.30 and early afternoon as the fare tables will show. You haven't said which day as this also affects demand. You are unlikely to get an earlier crossing but turning up is the only way to find out.  In peak periods (such as August) if you turn up too earlier you may be asked to leave the port and return later which means going through the full check-in procedure again. It may be better to arrive, as requested, no earlier than two hours before your reserved crossing and hope for the offer of an earlier one.

Edit: with Eurotunnel  it may be worth phoning, some hours before, to see if they will change your reservation without extra charge.  I've done so successfully,  a few times, for return crossings but not in high season.  Use their UK landline number, not the premium rate one they advertise.

Edited by beejay