Sign in to follow this  
l1oydo

Knowing what you know now

and you had a caravan budget of 8k for a family of 4. What would you get and why?

Knowing what I know now, I'd keep the money in the bank.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Knowing what I know now, I'd keep the money in the bank.

Haha. I teed that right up! So at current rates that would give you about 8k back.

I can recommend a Bailey Pageant, I have the Campagne that is a 4 berth. 2 of the beds are pulled out bunk beds and my son, who is 51 and his wife have slept on them with no problems. The reason I say the Pageant range is that in my honest opinion these were the last of the dry vans that Bailey produced. Mine was 12 years old this year and doesn't have any damp. You should be able to pick one up for about £8000 probably with a mover and an awning thrown in bought privately. 

Bailey Pageant, great will take a look. A few people have mentioned the German UK spec - Hymer, Knaus, Dethleffs. Not many around though and I suspect parts/servicing could be an issue.

1 hour ago, l1oydo said:

Haha. I teed that right up! So at current rates that would give you about 8k back.

You can do a lot better than that if you invest wisely.

16 minutes ago, thebriars said:

You can do a lot better than that if you invest wisely.

Indeed.

1 hour ago, l1oydo said:

Not many around though and I suspect parts/servicing could be an issue.

There is no problem with parts or servicing, after all they are simply caravans, and all caravans are basically the same.

They all use the same appliances , as most are made in Germany anyway.

30 minutes ago, Brecon said:

There is no problem with parts or servicing, after all they are simply caravans, and all caravans are basically the same.

They all use the same appliances , as most are made in Germany anyway.

Sounds like you are talking from experience? You own/owned a German made caravan?

Our third caravan was an Adria Altea 542DK, also they make a 542DT (same van with two different layouts)

It cost 8K for a 2009 about 2 years ago. Great van but we wanted a fixed bad and there are 5 of us so we hve bought another Adria as liked a lot of the details/differences from UK vans.

Have a look on U Tube for videos of them from that age to give you an idea.

Known as basic but tough.

Depends on what your towcar is. 

I'd say Sprite Musketeer TD for a lighter car or Sterling Europa 565 if you have something bigger to tow with.

There’s an adria adora 612 dp close to me, struggling to see past this one. Maybe not as reliable as those mentioned above but I think it’s worth a look.

16 hours ago, l1oydo said:

and you had a caravan budget of 8k for a family of 4. What would you get and why?

In all honestly, knowing what I know now, and having spent many years repairing and modifying our caravans, coupled with some experience of renovating, I would probably design and build my own caravan from scratch. I would buy in the chassis, end wall  moldings and basic fitted equipment but the primary concern would be for structural integrity and weather proofing, even if this had a weight and size penalty. In my opinion most commercial offerings tend to concentrate on forecourt appeal at the cost of build quality and longevity. Now, whether I could do that within a reasonable budget; that's another question.

Gordon.

1 hour ago, l1oydo said:

There’s an adria adora 612 dp close to me, struggling to see past this one. Maybe not as reliable as those mentioned above but I think it’s worth a look.

Adora is well specked and we have one now. The 612 is a big van on single axle and heavy so you need a substantial tow

car.

Bear in mind the front seats may NOT be long enough for the kids to use a singles. I know on our 612 DT they would only be usable up to 10 ish depending on height of the littles.  It makes a fabulous king though as there is no front unit to rob space. You can also just manage to get a twin bike rack on the front A frame (effects nose weight)

I have a utube review on my Adora if it gives you any more info.

1 hour ago, baddon said:

Adora is well specked and we have one now. The 612 is a big van on single axle and heavy so you need a substantial tow

car.

Bear in mind the front seats may NOT be long enough for the kids to use a singles. I know on our 612 DT they would only be usable up to 10 ish depending on height of the littles.  It makes a fabulous king though as there is no front unit to rob space. You can also just manage to get a twin bike rack on the front A frame (effects nose weight)

I have a utube review on my Adora if it gives you any more info.

Thank you!

is this a similar set up yours?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/195720044696869/

2 hours ago, l1oydo said:

Thank you!

is this a similar set up yours?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/195720044696869/

Yes its same (2012 version as the 2013 has different colours on seats) Has motor mover and alloy wheels (both options)

looks like a full awning. Dont see the fitted carpets.

Thats a VERY keen price. Here that would be 11-12K still.

1 thing to check is the curved cupboard at the end of the kitchen. With its big door and weight the hinges can come loose easily. Also does it have the fitted microwave (lots seem to go missing....)

What’s the weight on this Adria? Any tow car recommendations?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gordon said:

In my opinion most commercial offerings tend to concentrate on forecourt appeal at the cost of build quality and longevity.

I could not agree more with that limited part of the posting, but then that is all so many UK buyers are motivated by.

A "knowing what you know now" moment came to me twenty years back, I could not accept buying any then available UK built van and went for a Hymer; certainly no regrets about that decision, the present one we have had for 11 years.

Not only has it proved to have good integrity, it came with a sensible user payload, so actually can legally be used as a caravan!

Edited by JTQ
Auto correct interfered.

2 hours ago, l1oydo said:

What’s the weight on this Adria? Any tow car recommendations?

1700 from memory. We use a Ford Ranger and on a back road you certainly know to take care of it. On the motorway or a smooth road it sits beautifully. The longer A frame helps with this. The long wheel base on a pickup certainly helps with stability, BUT the load overhang from rear axle to tow hitch is bad for transmitting any pitching caused by an uneven road. so I take it really gently on bad surfaces.

Our longest tow was when we collected it in middle of England and took it to the ferry terminal in Cairnryan..... From memory about 5 Hrs driving. It was nearly a meter longer than our previous Adria and worth a lot more so started steady but quickly realised it was a stable van and just got on with getting it home.

From experience and with the poor state of the roads here in N Ireland (very much including the back road we live on) we always take care to towel up the door handles on the cabinets we have found to open (microwave glass plate is a favourite to find on the floor if we forget.) I have also added a second catch to the curved cupboard I mentioned to lock in position at the bottom so it cant swing if it gets loose.

The good lady has a Skoda Yeti (its max tow weight is over 2000, again from memory) so we would still be ok but never had to use it so cant comment.

As mentioned thats a lot of van for the money, I still regularly see the year or about that as the price (2012 will be 12k) so a 2012 resisted in 2013 from a dealer would be £12500.

On 29/06/2019 at 09:31, Gordon said:

Now, whether I could do that within a reasonable budget; that's another question.

Does a reasonable budget matter if the caravan had a 'Peace of mind' 25 year guarantee not to leak which, I am sure, your constructed caravan would achieve?  Nearly all of us pay for peace of mind for insurance - why not caravans?

I am astounded by reading all the complaints concerning the Bailey roof straps failing,  and all the other water ingress problems from other manufacturers so, to my mind, it is worth paying more to have a leak free guarantee, just as my Freedom caravan has. 

Caravans built by Gordon. Yep. Sounds good. :)

They are all much of a muchness, just buy the one you like the most but before you do have a quick check for common problems. Easier that way round than asking which caravan is the best as everyone will have a different opinion. 

5 minutes ago, tom_1989 said:

They are all much of a muchness, just buy the one you like the most but before you do have a quick check for common problems. Easier that way round than asking which caravan is the best as everyone will have a different opinion. 

Some, well the opposite opinion to "best",  for very good reasons!

I must concur with the much earlier post about the Bailey Pageant range of vans...mine was a 2009 Bordeaux and a mobile service engineer went around every likely spot for ingress and found none..he was most impressed. Unfortunately the storage barn fire completed the final drying out process and turned everything to ashes....Arghh.

Sign in to follow this