macafee2

M27 closed this weekend

The M27 Southampton between junctions 3 and 4 both ways will be closed this weekend from late Friday 28/06/19 to early Monday morning.

Apparently there will be 5 cruise ships in at Southampton, I hope those making their own way by car leave early.

macafee2

Should keep a few crockles out :D

A27 isn't a bad alternative route

Already reopened, 36 hours ahead of schedule.

Posted (edited)

Drove from Chester to Brockenhurst today ... and had one of the worst journeys I’ve ever had whilst towing.

I was banking on no more than 5 hours - but it took me nearly 9!

First off, 2 lengthy road works on the M6 installing so-called ‘smart’ motorways (just another 3 years for that disruption).

Then 2 cars bounced off each other on the M42 just 100 yards in front of us - nearly an hour lost whilst 3 fire engines, 4 ‘plain clothes’ police BMWs and a Traffic Officer sorted it out. 

Then somewhere on the A34 was a jackknifed caravan, causing a massive queue whilst it was recovered - another 45 minutes lost.

Next came complete and utter gridlock at the M3 / M27 junction due to another motorway upgrade - didn’t move for nearly an hour plus 30 minutes of crawling through lines of cones.

Finally, the M27 diversion  - we’ll thank goodness I wasn’t driving an HGV as it was 55 miles around,  via Andover and Salisbury! Anyway, follow the black dots it said, except they disappeared somewhere in Chandlers Ford, then reappeared, but got mixed in with another diversion. So eventually I made my way up to Romsey via some dodgy back roads and eventually down to Cadnam ... at least another hour gone.

And all on the hottest day of the year - 36 degrees on the car thermometer 🥵

Arrived at Black Knowl and only one pitch left ☹️

Who said caravanning is relaxing?

John.

Edited by Johnaldo

19 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Drove from Chester to Brockenhurst today ... and had one of the worst journeys I’ve ever had whilst towing.

First off, 2 lengthy road works on the M6 installing so-called ‘smart’ motorways (just another 3 years for that disruption).

Then 2 cars bounced off each other on the M42 just 100 yards in front of us - nearly an hour lost whilst 3 fire engines, 4 ‘plain clothes’ police BMWs and a Traffic Officer sorted it out. 

Then somewhere on the A34 was a jackknifed caravan, causing a massive queue whilst it was recovered - another 45 minutes lost.

Next came complete and utter gridlock at the M3 / M27 junction due to another motorway upgrade - didn’t move for nearly an hour plus 30 minutes of crawling through lines of cones.

Finally, the M27 diversion  - we’ll thank goodness I wasn’t driving an HGV as it was 55 miles around,  via Andover and Salisbury! Anyway, follow the black dots it said, except they disappeared somewhere in Chandlers Ford, then reappeared, but got mixed in with another diversion. So eventually I made my way up to Romsey via some dodgy back roads and eventually down to Cadnam ... at least another hour gone.

And all on the hottest day of the year - 36 degrees on the car thermometer 🥵

Arrived at Black Knowl and only one pitch left ☹️

Who said caravanning is relaxing?

John.

Nightmare journey.

Don't know if you knew before hand but if you did, why not come M5. Cirencester, Swindon?.

If you went Salisbury to Chandlers ford, you went the wrong way, easy for me to say as I know the way so you have my sympathy. 

A34 is a nightmare once blocked as there is often no place to get off.  I've seen some horrendous tail backs on it.

macafee2

On 29/06/2019 at 21:11, macafee2 said:

A34 is a nightmare once blocked as there is often no place to get off.  I've seen some horrendous tail backs on it. 

Much of the souhern end of the A34 is fast becoming as bad as the M25 in terms of being a reliable road to use. I avoid using it between the M40 and M3 if at all possible these days. The alternative roads may be slower but they are often more predictable making it possible to plan a journey with some degree of certainty.

I have said many times that there should be an "M34" between Souhampton and Birmingham (in addition to the A34), and the M40 should have continued west from Oxford following the approximate route of the A40 into Wales.

On 29/06/2019 at 20:43, Johnaldo said:

... ...

And just to rub salt into the wound - my mate travelled down from Stockport on virtually the same route on Sunday and did it in 3h 52m! Admittedly he didn’t have a van on the back and the M27 had been re-opened, but to do it in well under half my time was pretty annoying :(

John

Okay for those that do not like thr bottom of the A34

1)

Come off @ Winchester turn off (One before end)

A272 > Harestock (Andover Rd)

TR Harestock Road 

TL Stockbridge Road

TR Chillbolton Av

TR Romsey Road

A3090 > Hursley

A3090 > Romsey

Carry on A3090  To M27 J2

Or  (Quicker but need not to be @ Salisbury at rush hour)

A34

A303

A343 /  A30 > Salisbury

A354 Blanford Forum

A350 to A31

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:28, Gordon said:

Much of the souhern end of the A34 is fast becoming as bad as the M25 in terms of being a reliable road to use. I avoid using it between the M40 and M3 if at all possible these days. The alternative roads may be slower but they are often more predictable making it possible to plan a journey with some degree of certainty.

I have said many times that there should be an "M34" between Souhampton and Birmingham (in addition to the A34), and the M40 should have continued west from Oxford following the approximate route of the A40 into Wales.

I have used the A34 a lot and I can only think of one occasion I have been caught in a traffic jam so I don't get the impression its that bad. However once in the jam you can be well and truly stuck as there may be nowhere to get off

macafee2

This is what caused the hold-ups ...

Time-lapse video

John

I always try to travel on a Sunday and overnight somewhere not far from Portsmouth - there are several options for this. I've been stuck in a long queue approaching the A34/M3 junction more than once and it isn't fun.  However, if you stay in the left hand lane, a good alternative is to head for Alresford and then Petersfield to join the A31 (I think it is) at West Meon and drop down to join the M27 just past Wickham.

Got this from P & O for next weekend:

We wanted to let you know that over the weekend, from 21:00 on 19 July until 06:00 on 21 July, the M271 Redbridge Roundabout will be closed. A diversion route will be in place so you may need to allow extra time for your journey to the ship.

Further information can be found on Highways England website
https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/m271-and-a35-redbridge-roundabout-upgrade/

On 12/07/2019 at 07:14, macafee2 said:

I have used the A34 a lot and I can only think of one occasion I have been caught in a traffic jam

I live about half a mile from the A34 and believe me when I say , "You have been lucky". I always avoid it at peak times but it only takes a minor incident and long sections in our area can have tail backs stretching miles. It's known locally as the A34 car park!

i went to to a p and o ship that morning and thought  i would have no problem as i use the the junction before   A33 into Southampton but it was closed also and nothing was mentioned about  that a few bad words came out of my mouth that morning put an hour on my journey every where was gridlocked 

Left Southampton  this morning back to near Wigan  220 miles  using  A34  average speed for full journey was over  60 mph

was very happy

Edited by Ashey

I hope that wasn't towing.......

no I had returned from a cruise holiday good nights sleep  large breakfast and we didn't need to stop

I mostly enjoy towing as I just keep to  sixty and mostly in the nearside  lane  and watch everybody go by