Sign in to follow this  
logiclee

Using Air Con correctly

If the AC freezes, maybe the filters are blocked?

It was something to do with the proximity of the compressor to the air intake that meant moisture coming in was slowly frozen

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

It was something to do with the proximity of the compressor to the air intake that meant moisture coming in was slowly frozen

Problem solved.

image.png.ea2d31eea89bdf812edb8d87f80469f7.png

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, JCloughie said:

Most cars now have climate control.  Perhaps some have basic air con.  The owner should know theirs as the method of use will vary.

My cars have had climate, usually dual climate for many years and I just leave it on and enjoy the benefit.  My Citroen XM use to fail in humid weather.  I discovered that it would freeze solid so I had to turn to off for half an hour.

Wish we had it in the caravan.   It’s now 11:45 and a very uncomfortable 33.  Windows and roof lights open, fan on.

John

Most car aircon systems, basic or climate, have a sensor to detect low ambient / high humidity situations which stops the compressor - specifically to prevent freezing - sounds like your XM hadca faulty sensor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Think I did - I suspect you quoted me in error.

if outside the temp is 12 degrees and you set your heating to 22 then start your engine from cold "12 degrees" there is no point wanting heat, there is no heat to get from 12 to 22 degrees. If I recall correctly you asked why turn it off, no point calling for air con and heat while coolant is at 12 degrees. That's why I'd turn it off,

macafee2

23 hours ago, BillySmart said:

One of the best (caravanning) investments I made was to buy a dealer special in March 2018 with air-con. During the very hot summer last year and this summer at times so far, It has made such a  difference to our comfort. Importantly, it means our two dogs, one of which is particularly stressed by heat, are comfortable and indeed can be left in the caravan for a time in safety. I can check the status of the van remotely and be alerted if the temperature changes.

does it make a noise that may impact upon other site users?

macafee2

And how is it powered? I assume from EHU but how many Amps?

31 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

if outside the temp is 12 degrees and you set your heating to 22 then start your engine from cold "12 degrees" there is no point wanting heat, there is no heat to get from 12 to 22 degrees. If I recall correctly you asked why turn it off, no point calling for air con and heat while coolant is at 12 degrees. That's why I'd turn it off,

Nothing to do with Air Con.

I leave it set to a temperature, when the engine is warm enough (or under 6C the engine temp doesn’t matter as the electric heater kicks in) the fan speed ramps up and so does the heat when it can - in the summer it starts cooling with A/C on as soon as I start the engine. When it’s damp in the winter the A/C helps straight away irrespective of engine temp

I still don’t understand what you’ve misread in my post to put your response - it really makes no sense.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Most car aircon systems, basic or climate, have a sensor to detect low ambient / high humidity situations which stops the compressor - specifically to prevent freezing - sounds like your XM hadca faulty sensor.

You may be right, but I suspect that as the XM was old technology it was not as sophisticated as a modern car.  Also, the freezing only happened in very humid conditions.

I can’t fix it now, someone rammed it in the back so hard even though I was doing 40 mph, that only 1 door worked.  Even the sunroof was creased up.  But all 4 occupants unhurt.  Big shame, I loved that car.

That was in France about 15 years ago, (or more), the Golf driver that hit me drove off!!

John

Edited by JCloughie

19 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Many caravans have air con and this is not used during the winter so how do they get around the common issues with an air con not being used for a prolonged period?

Quite simple, the compressor and motor is internal to the gas side of the system, there is no shaft seal to lubricate thats why household fridge & freezers, aircon etc rarely if ever need re gassing.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2019 at 21:01, macafee2 said:

no good starting the engine and asking the air con and heating to to make 22 degrees when its only 12 degrees. may as well let the engine  warm up first.

why do you need/leave it on all the time?

macafee2

The climate control on my last two cars will not use the heater when set to automatic until the engine is warm enough. 

49 minutes ago, DACS said:

The climate control on my last two cars will not use the heater when set to automatic until the engine is warm enough. 

I'm of a sufficient vintage to recall when 'climate control' was going posh and having a sun roof fitted to your car ... :D How our expectations have changed. Fred Drift is alive and well, and driving a 1976 Morris Marina 1.8TC ... {never knew whether that stood for 'Twin Carbs' [pasta and wholemeal bread?] or 'Tin Can'].

Steve

10 hours ago, JCloughie said:

You may be right, but I suspect that as the XM was old technology it was not as sophisticated as a modern car.  Also, the freezing only happened in very humid conditions.

I can’t fix it now, someone rammed it in the back so hard even though I was doing 40 mph, that only 1 door worked.  Even the sunroof was creased up.  But all 4 occupants unhurt.  Big shame, I loved that car.

That was in France about 15 years ago, (or more), the Golf driver that hit me drove off!!

John

Worst car I ever had... Inherited when my company lease car had to be returned and another guy had left.  2.1 petrol auto, was the slowest thing off the line ever.  SO easy to be caught out by cars on roundabouts (I think 0-60 was 18 sec).

The cc was quite sophisticated as I discovered on a freezing cold day...  The outside temperature showed about 20C instead of the -3 it was, and despite the controls being turned right up, I froze all the way to work.  Dealer said that the OS sensor provided input to the control unit to decide how much heat / cool to apply...

The one good thing was the suspension though, it was "active" and would stiffen up if you were too hot into a corner and go round bends on rails.... Just as well with the acceleration figures...

1 hour ago, DACS said:

That brings up another talking point.

Many climate control systems now have supplementary heaters for when the engine is cold.  Not including  the Webasto type of totally separate heating systems there are three main types of supplementary heaters that are common.

1. Viscous disc.  Two discs with viscous fluid between generate heat when driven by the engine and this heat is transmitted into the heater matrix circuit.  Common on Jeeps.

2. Electric heaters in the water circuit, as above heats the water matrix circuit. System offered by many manufacturers.

3. Electric heaters in the air flow to cabin.

I've had all three, Jeep Cherokee had the viscous disc, Passat had electric heaters in the water circuit, and my XF has 1.5kW electric heater in the cabin air flow.

All three systems allow the Climate Control to ramp  up much quicker to give cabin warmth and additionally to add in drying effect from the aircon to demist/dehumidify the cabin. 

Some of these systems will only work with the Climate in Auto so it's best to check your manual.

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Worst car I ever had... Inherited when my company lease car had to be returned and another guy had left.  2.1 petrol auto, was the slowest thing off the line ever.  SO easy to be caught out by cars on roundabouts (I think 0-60 was 18 sec).

The cc was quite sophisticated as I discovered on a freezing cold day...  The outside temperature showed about 20C instead of the -3 it was, and despite the controls being turned right up, I froze all the way to work.  Dealer said that the OS sensor provided input to the control unit to decide how much heat / cool to apply...

The one good thing was the suspension though, it was "active" and would stiffen up if you were too hot into a corner and go round bends on rails.... Just as well with the acceleration figures...

I had a Citroen BX17RD, non turbo diesel. 0-60 time was 21.6 seconds ... but very economical! Front suspension spheres were prone to failure, though. Had 1 side done, asked the independent garage if the other side needed changed; 'Naw,' said Malcolm, 'Never had 2 fail at the same time ...'.

20 minutes later, on the A27 bypass towards Shoreham Airport in the morning rush hour ... Phoned Malcolm on my new mobile brick - 'Too busy to come and tow you in. Set the suspension to workshop height, to take the pressure off the system, you'll be alright to drive it in ...'

10-15mph on the A27 is not something I would recommend, and with no suspension the impact of every bump in the road was a literal and metaphorical pain in the rear end.

Steve

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

Never did a 2.1 petrol, it as either 2.0 or 3.0. The early carb 2.0 models were quite slow although I thought that model was manual only. Slowed 0-60 quoted for petrol models is about 12.5 seconds. The only one close to 18 seconds is the 2.1 non-turbo diesel that we didn’t get in the UK.

Superb car the XM.

Edited by FrankBullet
  • Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:05, Borussia 1900 said:

the neighbours think I’m a crazy Engländer :)

Probably not far off the mark ;)

On 29/06/2019 at 13:10, FrankBullet said:

Never did a 2.1 petrol, it as either 2.0 or 3.0. The early carb 2.0 models were quite slow although I thought that model was manual only. Slowed 0-60 quoted for petrol models is about 12.5 seconds. The only one close to 18 seconds is the 2.1 non-turbo diesel that we didn’t get in the UK.

Superb car the XM.

I agree, superb.  Mine was the 2.1 TD manual.  Great tow car.

John

• Like 1

A mate ordered a new Cortina just as they were being discontinued. His 1100 base model order was 'augmented' with all sorts of unrequested extras, presumably Ford were using bits up. One un-ordered extra was Air-Con, hilarious on an 1100, if you switched it on when stationary at the traffic lights - it stalled the engine!

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

In garage last night,asked fitter doing a recharge how long often should we have aircon on on? If not being used for screen clearing etc then 90 minutes a month is what they recommend..personally I would have said that a week!

Geoff

38 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

In garage last night,asked fitter doing a recharge how long often should we have aircon on on? If not being used for screen clearing etc then 90 minutes a month is what they recommend..personally I would have said that a week!

Geoff

The fitter would have been talking about a minimum time to keep the system healthy.  If someone would rather not have air-con, best not specify it. But that’s not really possible.

Air-con is not just for comfort.  It is also for safety.  It is recognised that air-con helps drivers to keep alert.

John

He answered the question I asked,mine is on every day so benefits known.

Geoff

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Geoff

Information and advice from a decade ago really. Depends what system you have.

If you have a modern, intelligent climate control system he really should have asked "Why would you want to turn it off?"

Not sure why some cars have climate control fitted and a sunroof?  Seems pointless?

Opening the sunroof is at the driver's discretion!

I hate draughts.  My wife loves them.  We can both be happy, although not at the same time 😁

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Not sure why some cars have climate control fitted and a sunroof?  Seems pointless?

You have the choice of fresh air over your bonce or not - as climate regulates the temperature the impact of a sunroof (especially if only tilted) is minimal except in extreme temperatures. We had an A2 with a panoramic roof I’d often have it open when it was between 15 and, say, 23C outside - didn’t really make the fan work any harder.