Sign in to follow this  
logiclee

Using Air Con correctly

Leaving aircon on all the time and it's effect on consumption has been discussed many times.

But today VAG have released further guidance which can be found at....

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/technology/10-tips-on-how-to-use-air-conditioning-properly/?fbclid=IwAR3FiubHJnEsBSlAHNfmXP_I6Wz4yucIbNoG5eKipFk80VuUzs9bbm5JFyg

Interesting bit on consumption.

Current piston compressors can automatically regulate their power according to information from a range of sensors, from almost zero to maximum capacity. As a result, the air-conditioning has little impact on consumption. This is important information for thrifty users .

It will be a long time before I actually believe anything that VAG claim!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Current piston compressors can automatically regulate their power according to information from a range of sensors, from almost zero to maximum capacity. As a result, the air-conditioning has little impact on consumption. This is important information for thrifty users .

That sort of compressor is used on many cars, for a decade or more.

16 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

That sort of compressor is used on many cars, for a decade or more.

Indeed, you just can't educate some folks.

My father in law killed my old Passat's aircon within his first 18 months of ownership but he is strictly of the view that it should only be turned on for the two hottest days of the year.

Now he has a big bill for a new compressor.

Lee

10 minutes ago, logiclee said:

My father in law killed my old Passat's aircon within his first 18 months of ownership but he is strictly of the view that it should only be turned on for the two hottest days of the year.

Lee

Pre 'sensors to measure everything & anything', I recall a general opinion that leaving the aircon on had a 5% adverse impact on fuel consumption. VAG have just about tripled the number of sensors and their VW Connect App monitors anything and everything; so, I can understand/accept their technical advice. The sensor that, at exactly 6 monthly intervals, throws an error code/dashboard light that requires me to confirm that I have checked the tyre pressures and that they conform with the recommended pressures, I can do without [tyres are checked before every long trip, so probably checked at least 8 to 10 times between arror codes]... and the Park Pilot Assist that goes loopy when within 2 feet of a potential obstruction as I reverse out of the service access road that has about 12-15 inches clearance either side, I can also live without. But the rest of Tig's Toys and support mechanisms, I really appreciate!

Steve

I don't think you need to run air con all the time but it does need using frequently.

Its not just summer but winter too when it has its use

macafee2

• Like 1

I think this topic is so funny, people concerned about the potential fuel consumption increase. Do the same people wear coats at home in winter time in order to reduce heating costs? I've just driven from Bridgend in Wales back to Lincolnshire, 220 miles with climate control enabled keeping the cabin at 19 deg C. Fuel consumption from old fatty 42.2 mpg. I simply don't care if climate uses more fuel, I value my comfort first and foremost. I also have aircon at home, its on now  and costing me on average 1.2p per hour, again I value the comfort more than the running cost.

So go ahead, turn off the aircon, save that fuel and sweat it out, as long as you're happy. Incidentally, opening the windows increases drag and uses more fuel than the aircon does.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My air-con is on full blast all the time, much to Mrs B’s displeasure. 

It’s also well used in the caravan and I’ve just had a quote for having it fitted in our house.

I’m always warm, I shovel snow off the drive in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops in the middle of winter, the neighbours think I’m a crazy Engländer :)

Posted (edited)

Just received and browsed the July CMC magazine, so then when seeing this thread immediately thought it must be referring to the Truma air conditioner advert on the lower section of page 35.

Now that really will have it zapping every bit of power it can access!

Edited by JTQ
typo

30 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I don't think you need to run air con all the time but it does need using frequently.

Its not just summer but winter too when it has its use

macafee2

Mine is on all the time, I can’t really work out why you’d turn it off

Both cars have climate so they decide how hard it works, the near-15 year old A2 still has superb cooling (it’s like a fridge) but then I have it re-gassed and serviced every two years.

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Lee

I only use the aircon when I need it and have never had one fail, just make sure you run it once a month for a few minutes to keep the seals lubricated.

My aircon stays on all the time, I understand it must use some power but I'm reluctant to accept it is a measurable amount in terms of normal use. If measuring everything in 'lab type ' conditions then I'm sure it is measurable.  The car is 12 years old, German 2.1 diesel auto and has returned 37.1 mpg over the 25k miles, very comfortable, miles I've covered in it. :)

Many people seem to associate air con only with it's cooling function. I find it helps when using heat as well, particularly in humid and wet weather. 

52 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

My air-con is on full blast all the time, much to Mrs B’s displeasure. 

It’s also well used in the caravan and I’ve just had a quote for having it fitted in our house.

I’m always warm, I shovel snow off the drive in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops in the middle of winter, the neighbours think I’m a crazy Engländer :)

I think so too, my CH was on yesterday when it rained all day.

It cost much less per mile to use the Air-Con in your car than it does to drive your car on a French Motorway 😀

33 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Mine is on all the time, I can’t really work out why you’d turn it off

Both cars have climate so they decide how hard it works, the near-15 year old A2 still has superb cooling (it’s like a fridge) but then I have it re-gassed and serviced every two years.

no good starting the engine and asking the air con and heating to to make 22 degrees when its only 12 degrees. may as well let the engine  warm up first.

why do you need/leave it on all the time?

macafee2

1 minute ago, xtrailman said:

I think so too, my CH was on yesterday when it rained all day.

38 degrees here yesterday, been over 32 all week, getting hotter at the weekend 🤮

5 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

My aircon stays on all the time, I understand it must use some power but I'm reluctant to accept it is a measurable amount in terms of normal use. If measuring everything in 'lab type ' conditions then I'm sure it is measurable.  The car is 12 years old, German 2.1 diesel auto and has returned 37.1 mpg over the 25k miles, very comfortable, miles I've covered in it. :)

Many people seem to associate air con only with it's cooling function. I find it helps when using heat as well, particularly in humid and wet weather. 

and demisting in winter. I never consider the cost of running the air con nor do I consider the cost of opening the windows.

macafee2

3 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

no good starting the engine and asking the air con and heating to to make 22 degrees when its only 12 degrees. may as well let the engine  warm up first.

why do you need/leave it on all the time?

macafee2

Eh - what’s that got to do with leaving my A/C on?

Climate set to 21 in the winter - car works out how much heating it can give and dehumidifying I need. I would add my car has an electric supplementary heater that comes on at less than 6C OAT so it’s toasty in minutes

In summer I leave it at 19.5, the heat of the engine means nothing - it starts cooling straight away.

If the car decides cooling or dehumidifying is required, the A/C is on so it can do that

13 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

I only use the aircon when I need it and have never had one fail, just make sure you run it once a month for a few minutes to keep the seals lubricated.

Our vehicles have "climate" so that does all the working out when "aircon" is needed and not, requires no intervention.

If hiring a car with just "AC" I find it a real pain. 

In the Rexton it was on all the time and never needed topping-up ( unlike the Jeeps), The Sorento has it on sometime each day year round, my daughters Honda never had it on and needed recharge every year despite this.

geoff

This topic is very interesting and made me realise that I have had NO idea how to use the heating or A/C in any car I've ever had! Tomorrow will see me playing around with thd Volvo to try and understand what it all does!

My first car with A/C was a 1998 Peugeot 406 and when you switched it on you could detect the change in engine note.

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

This topic is very interesting and made me realise that I have had NO idea how to use the heating or A/C in any car I've ever had! Tomorrow will see me playing around with thd Volvo to try and understand what it all does!

1. Select preferred temperature

2. Ensure A/C is on

3. Ensure ‘Auto’ is selected

4. Don't touch it again

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FrankBullet said:

2. Ensure A/C is on

4. Don't touch it again

Thanks, saves me messing around and breaking something! 

11 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

2. Ensure A/C is on

4. Don't touch it again

Assuming it has climate control rather than manual AC (highly likely).

1 minute ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Assuming it has climate control rather than manual AC (highly likely).

Gary was referring to his V90, which does.