bunch of know alls   I quit

Creaking and groaning from??

Hi all...

I am getting a lot of noise from the rear of my car in towbar area..   It only happens at low speed ie turning or pulling away.

I have new rear shocks on car; from tow ball  have removed paint then cleaned and de-greased each time  ..  

I have had the towing hitch on caravan serviced, and they used some special grease?..the pads inside are in good condition and de-greased..  The nose weight is exactly correct...   

On arrival at a site the other day the staff member leading me to the plot said is that a new tow bar.....yes...his reply  ohhh...      might that be it?  and if so how much longer do i need to hear this noise...

Posted (edited)

I've been towing with an ALKO stabiliser for the best part of 15 years on 6 different cars and five different caravans.

All have had the towball polished within an inch of their lives, all get a wipe over with brake cleaner and a scotchbrite before setting off.

The ALKO pads get taken out regularly and are cleaned by spinning in a battery drill with some emery cloth/sandpaper and the wiped with brake cleaner so they are pristine.

BUT all of them have groaned and grunged by the time we get to our destination, so in the end there's not really much you can do about it except put up with it.

Others might have a different experience but we've never managed to cure it for more than a couple of hundred miles before it starts up again. usually only on slow speed turns or roundabouts. 

It's not dangerous just slightly irritating when I've put so much effort into keeping it all nice and clean. I cant think that it's due to diesel deposits as we've had new cars as well as old - but when I take the pads out they've usually got a hard shiny glaze so I guess they are picking up crud from the road

Edited by matelodave

Very common issue, some seem to get it all the time and others never experience it. 

Do NOT apply any form of grease to the tow ball.

A can of aerosol brake cleaner from Halfords or similar MIGHT cure it, but then again it might not!! Taking the Alko pads out and “roughing them up” a bit with some fine wet and dry might also stop it as it appears to happen if (when?) the pads get a glazed surface. 

Its not dangerous and it doesn’t cause any damage but it IS very annoying. No-one seems to be able to come up with a 100% effective cure though. For my part it never seems to happen if it’s raining/wet so perhaps a bit of moisture prevents it?

Andy

Our Elddis BPW tow hitch makes the same noises. If you are uncertain if it is the hitch pads, you could release the hitch a bit so the stabilser pads are not locked on but the hitch is still fastened to the towball and then move the car/caravan a bit.

• Like 1

This topic comes up regularly and repeatedly.  It's normal and can be reduced but not always eliminated.

Some in past topics have said to wet the towball with water when connecting up/setting off.  Not sure why or how that will help but...

It happens occasionally to us with different car/caravan combinations. I've yet to find out exactly why.

The back seat driver???

😀

We have had that problem for a while,but something more worrying is a noise when turning. It can only be described as a thud you get If you hit a pothole but there’s no potholes I have hit. The cars has been checked out and all is fine so we have to look at the caravan. 

John.

The quickest way to establish if the noise is coming from the ball/hitch interface is to stop raise the hitch off the ball, wipe the ball with a wet tissue, lower the hitch and see if it’s still making the same noise. In my experience that’s sufficient to temporarily quieten even the noisiest connection. Then you will either have identified or eliminated one possibility.