david 1220

Toilet holding tank ( lime scale ? )

I have noticed over a few months a build up of what might be lime scale in our toilet waste holding tank. Despite efforts to remove it its still there, so has anybody found a way to clean the deposit off while not affecting the plastic ?

I used 2 bottles of 39p Cola from Aldi - left in the tank for 24 hours, and left the tank upright, upside down, on each side etc. for a few hours at a time.   Pour out and rinse well. Operate the air vent occasionally just to stop pressure building up.   Cleaned up the limescale brilliantly.

It's probably not limescale, but another mineral that comes from urine - I can't remember what it is though.

However the phosphoric acid in coke will dissolve it.

I had that issue when I left the caravan for the in-laws for a year while they renovated a French farmhouse a while back. Deposits inside and a gritty feel to the blade opener. New seals and pressure vent and since then I'm draining the citric acid solution I use for the water system annually into the toilet cassette and leaving it closed and upside down in the garden for a day or two.

No recurrence since.

We have been told that Thetford’s Tank Cleaner does an excellent job and plan to do our tank with it over the next few weeks. I suppose cheap Cola is more economical, but I don’t think the proper stuff is too expensive.

A similar topic 

5 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

We have been told that Thetford’s Tank Cleaner does an excellent job and plan to do our tank with it over the next few weeks. I suppose cheap Cola is more economical, but I don’t think the proper stuff is too expensive.

+1 on the tank cleaner. Like the coke you have to put it in and leave for 24 hours with the tank at various angles.

When I did ours I took the whole trap assembly out and did the soaking in a bucket - much easier - butt you still need to do the tank. With the trap assembly removed it isthen quite simple to put the tank level and fill it up to the brim.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveMilner said:

It's probably not limescale, but another mineral that comes from urine - I can't remember what it is though.

However the phosphoric acid in coke will dissolve it.

Hi Steve,

Uric Acid can form crystals. That is the cause of gout when the crystals form in the joints. It used to be associated with good living ....????

Some medications can generate limescale around the toilet - Thetford Cassette Cleaner deals with it.